St Mirren V Brechin City 30th September

Mr Zo

It may well be table toppers v basement boys. Here's hoping.

I know there a couple of games to be played before then with one being at home but Alba will skew the crowd that really should attending that fixture with the timing of ko.

I really would love to see every available buddie down at St Mirren Park backing the buddies at home and getting as much cash into our club as possible ensuring we have enough funds to offer Morgan improved terms, new players in January etc.

This really has the making of being a very special season as the team are scoring for fun and attending games at St Mirren Park has become a pure joy.

I can't quite remember the size of the crowds that attended the 1999/2000 winning season home games but they were decent and the energy about the crowd was just brilliant. It feels very similar to what it is now.

I don't think the club ever did divulge how many season tickets were sold this season but they must be the best figures at the new stadium. The drive to get 1000 in the West bank did the trick.

Would love to see the home crowd grow each week ensuring we were getting over 5,000 saints fans in attendance. Wonder if the club would put out A rallying call to the punters. A bit of a tall order for this one but surely we can get over 4,500 buddies watching a team playing as well as we are and making a real fist of getting top spot.

St Mirren 4 Brechin City 0
Reilly (x2), Morgan, Smith

Crowd 4,501

• 2 weeks later...

In 12 league and cup games this season Brechin haven't kept a single clean sheet. Some pretty ropey defending against Dunfermline yesterday: their full back was getting to the byline at will in the second half and set up 2 goals from crosses.

Worth keeping an eye out for Kalvin Orsi up front for them. Never made an appearance for us, but was an unused sub in the 5-1 Kyle McAllister Spartans' game.

This is the type of game which will really test our credentials for this season. Like Livingston earlier in the cup they will sit in and defend hoping to catch us on occasional break. This traditionally is the type of game we struggle in. Here's hoping our confidence and intricate attacking play opens them up and we have more cause for celebration.

5 hours ago, the barrhead teacher said:

This is the type of game which will really test our credentials for this season. Like Livingston earlier in the cup they will sit in and defend hoping to catch us on occasional break. This traditionally is the type of game we struggle in. Here's hoping our confidence and intricate attacking play opens them up and we have more cause for celebration.

I am in your corner with this one Barhead Teacher. Not an easy game. A win by 1 goal without conceding would make me very,very happy with our season to date.

Targets Set - 21 Points - IF - IF we win this one we will be on 18 with 1 game to go to complete the first round of games.

Targets Set - We have already exceeded the goals for target set of 14. Any more are a big bonus.

Targets Set - Clean Sheets 4 - Clean Sheet against both Brechin and Dumbarton would mean we were at 75% of that target.

I would say that this is good going!

4 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Brechin have only beaten St. Mirren once...ever!
January 2004 and I was there. Daryl Duffy played for them.

As was I. Dark days indeed. Guys like Ally Mitchell, Chris McGroarty,  David Cameron and the big Ex Partick forward McLean (first name escapes me) were the calibre of player we got to watch that season. 

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

As was I. Dark days indeed. Guys like Ally Mitchell, Chris McGroarty,  David Cameron and the big Ex Partick forward McLean (first name escapes me) were the calibre of player we got to watch that season. 

Scott McLean.

Shite and always injured.

Brechin have only beaten St. Mirren once...ever!
January 2004 and I was there. Daryl Duffy played for them.

I was there to. I drove two mates up for the game and said to them as we left Paisley that Brechin had never beaten us. Both said you are the kiss of death and we are now certain to lose and we did. We had some pretty average players on our books at that time.

I think this saturday will be a different story and we will have too much for their defence. Morgan is on fire and I can't see that being any different this weekend against the poorest side in the league. Our attacking players will really fancy getting on the scoresheet this weekend. Brechin are no Livingston or Dumbarton and are shipping goals for fun.

This is what I hope.

St Mirren 4 Brechin 0

Crowd 3,890

13 hours ago, the barrhead teacher said:

To be honest, I reckon the Dumbarton game will be the most interesting in terms of indicating how we've progressed.

Aitken has them drilled to be very disciplined/stuffy and we struggled against them last season.

42 minutes ago, Drew said:

To be honest, I reckon the Dumbarton game will be the most interesting in terms of indicating how we've progressed.

Aitken has them drilled to be very disciplined/stuffy and we struggled against them last season.

You took the words right out of my mouth Drew. Brechin will be no pushovers and deserve respect but Dumbarton are resolute and well drilled.

4 hours ago, Doakes said:

Brechin will have a game plan to try and sneak a draw or a narrow win. We usually struggle against those kind of teams.... Need to move the ball around quickly and get up to full steam

Their game plan goes out the window when we score. An early onslaught needed to open the game up.