St Mirren V Brechin City 30th September

Mr Zo

It wasn't a great performance but we got the 3 points, for me the only positives from today was 1) Cammy Smith, 2) Cammy Smith and 3) Cammy Smith didn't get beat today. On another note the highlight of the game for me was the punter sitting behind me who was blaming Simon Lappin for our poor performance. The look on his face when he realised that he had somehow mistaken Lappin with Morgan was priceless :lol:

3 minutes ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Thought it was a great game for a neutral. Brechin did very well.

Thought they played well also . This is the potential banana skin over the years we would have lost. 

Next league game is our real bogey team ..

3 points gained in a somewhat flat performance but a precious 3 points nonetheless.

Ultimately the game was won by two of the substitutes that most would agree are and will be regarded as fringe players.

It's going to be a squad effort this season to get us into the play offs or better. That was demonstrated today and that's pleasing. It wasn't a great game by the high standards set last season but it was one that got us 3 valuable points against a dogged side and puts us top of the pile after 8 games.

Top of the league for a couple of weeks at least and that's pleasing. Plenty to build on and an extra couple of weeks for Davis, McKenzie and McGennis to get fitness levels up ahead of Dumbarton game.

Enjoy your drinks tonight buddies we are top of the league without playing to our best and there is plenty more to come from this group of players.

Brechin did do well... to a point.    They lost.

They set out with a game plan to frustrate, yes , they did but still went behind. When they got back onto level terms they sat back and tried to counter. They failed on both counts.

Brechin dont have the savvy Dumbarton have to survive in this league , nor the players. 

They bring nothing to the party, back to league one for them .  Now Dumbarton is another matter, if we can win that .......

34 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

We won't be winning the league with guys like Kirkpatrick and Stewart I'm afraid, not good enough.

Our defence still looks poor, sooner Davis is back the better.

Priority must be another Striker in January.

Last season we miss the relegration playoffs on goal difference .  We are now top of the league and second top goalscorers in the league, yet still get posts like this one. Unbelievable!!!!

Reading some of this absolute rubbish about Ross Stewart. He's a young player just getting used to full time football. JR has said a couple times he brought him in as a player for the future. He's had some really impressive performances for the u20s. Think some fans need to get off the young man's back and I'm sure will be a terrific player for The Saints.

A large amount of negative pish being spewed tonight. We don't have the finances to have match winners in every position. We have some young players who are being blooded and will take a bit of time to develop. Like it or not that's where we as a club are. Some of us need to stop acting like we've got some sort of entitlement to win the league with scintillating performances every week.

3 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Reading some of this absolute rubbish about Ross Stewart. He's a young player just getting used to full time football. JR has said a couple times he brought him in as a player for the future. He's had some really impressive performances for the u20s. Think some fans need to get off the young man's back and I'm sure will be a terrific player for The Saints.

I thought he added a different dimension to the game and would not critiscise him for his contribution.   

We won't be winning the league with guys like Kirkpatrick and Stewart I'm afraid, not good enough.

I agree to an extent, these guys are not primary players, they are back ups, I'm not suggesting that you are criticising them but many others are.

We need to back the guys that are on the park, agreed once Davis & Mackenzie are back we will be stronger, special mention should go to Baird who had another decent game today.

The kid was barely on the pitch and folk around me were moaning about him, not giving him a chance.

Someone gave a sarcastic comment right before he crossed it for Hilson.

Give him a chance and let him develop.

13 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

The kid was barely on the pitch and folk around me were moaning about him, not giving him a chance.

Someone gave a sarcastic comment right before he crossed it for Hilson.

Give him a chance and let him develop.

Aye, someone behind us was referring to him as a 'donkey' during the goal celebrations. Maybe he was doing it in a GIRFUY way to someone who'd been slating the lad, though that wasn't how it came across.

1 hour ago, chalky1 said:

It wasn't a great performance but we got the 3 points, for me the only positives from today was 1) Cammy Smith, 2) Cammy Smith and 3) Cammy Smith didn't get beat today. On another note the highlight of the game for me was the punter sitting behind me who was blaming Simon Lappin for our poor performance. The look on his face when he realised that he had somehow mistaken Lappin with Morgan was priceless :lol:

Was it shull?

I was informed that the HT tunes were selected by an 83 year old and therefore I unreservedly retract my statement that there should be any shame or embarrassment involved.. Anyone who supports Saints  to that kind of age should be lauded.

However, the music was still guff.

As for the game, we won while playing poorly and that is always a quality required by potential champions.

"They say the mark of champions is to win when not at your best, but quite what it says about St Mirren – who managed to go back to the top of the Championship whilst at times being nothing short of dreadful – remains to be seen."  - extract from the Scotsman.

We certainly can't argue that we have lacked a rub of the green this season - even several of the games that we have won comfortably in the end, were only after we should have been dead and buried by the opposition.

If we are going to win the league we will have to improve significantly - especially in defence.

However, injuries have been unkind to us so far this season, and we are after all still sitting top of the table as we go into the international break.

What a pleasant change from last season!

Agree 100% about the level of abuse some of our own players get during game time is totally unacceptable and turns many fans away from attending games. I also dislike the vitriol aimed at the officials constantly and overreactions to every decision no matter how correct it is. However, the forum should be an avenue for opinions. Stewart may very well be raw and impressing in under 20s, he may very well be a project in the making, but l an unimpressed so far by his ball control and ability in the air. He did well to get the cross from the byline in for the winner but only after making a total mess initially of controlling the pass and was lucky to get the chance to swing it back in. Cannot recall another effective contribution while he was on the pitch. Felt Sutton would have been the better option at that point in the game. Jury is out for me at present. Only an opinion though.[emoji3]

Great day today, we won whilst not at our best and went top of the league....shows how far we've come.

I had a bunch of German exchange students at the game today who absolutely loved the whole vibe and overall atmosphere, we should savour this.. We can't play brilliantly every week and sometimes we have to win ugly, it's still 3 points at the end of the day.

Just now, St.Ricky said:

We couldn't outfight Brechin. They were hard working, disciplined, defended and broke well. We can expect to face more teams playing against us like this. Dumbarton (up next in the League) come to mind. A day when the result mattered more than the performance.

At this level, that's every day.

4 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

We couldn't outfight Brechin. They were hard working, disciplined, defended and broke well. We can expect to face more teams playing against us like this. Dumbarton (up next in the League) come to mind. A day when the result mattered more than the performance.

WE DID .

4 hours ago, JJ McG said:

Given that we are top of the league at the quarter way mark with lots of first choice players out injured, I would say the team is doing a f**king awesome job right now.

But you are still not happy eh?

Do you remember how long it took us to get to 18 points last season?

For any fan to be anything other than delighted with how things are going is hilariously pathetic.

Edited by oaksoft