St Mirren V Brechin City 30th September

Mr Zo

On another note the highlight of the game for me was the punter sitting behind me who was blaming Simon Lappin for our poor performance. The look on his face when he realised that he had somehow mistaken Lappin with Morgan was priceless [emoji38]

Should he not have been ejected under the new rules? If not we should be writing newer rules just to eject this guy.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Given that we are top of the league at the quarter way mark with lots of first choice players out injured, I would say the team is doing a f**king awesome job right now.

But you are still not happy eh?

Do you remember how long it took us to get to 18 points last season?

For any fan to be anything other than delighted with how things are going is hilariously pathetic.

Close, but wrang. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the practice of having to pick out a perceived 'weak point' in the team for the focus of all frustration seems to be endemic among our support. 

At the start of pre season it was Samson who was the target after dropping one in against Dundee. 'We should never have f**king brought him back, he wasn't good enough last time and he's still not good enough' one shout from behind me came, 6 minutes into his debut. 

Sammy then settled many nerves and it was Jack Baird after that. Yes, he was deservedly criticised after his mistakes at Cappielow but the one performance was enough to convince several that he'll never be at a level required and was enough of a basis to justify him staying out of the side indefinitely. Jack returns and looks excellent for several weeks. Time to move on. 

Gary Irvine isnt in the side so he's escaped the ire as he's normally a bit of a heat magnet. 

So it falls at the lap of the big gangly awkward looking lad who hasn't really done anything to justify the frustration being thrown at him. He's got a decent touch, retains possession, can make the ball stick in the final third, has a great ethic and strong positional sense. But he's ungainly, runs awkward and is lanky so sticks out like a sore thumb. There were 4 young lads of about 17 at the East Kilbride game who sat behind me and whilst not shouting, were actively discussing how 'he's so f**king shite' and 'what a lump of wood' even when he scored the winner 'it wasn't even a good goal anyway, it was easy to put that one away' I ended up turning around and laughing at them and telling them thank f**k they aren't in charge of the side. 

Think it's time we started laying off our players when they are clearly giving it everything and mostly to good effect.  These are relatively good times and they don't come around often. There's always room for improvement and constructive criticism is part of that, that's understandable but some of the sustained abuse isn't warranted. I always love hearing those who are loudest in their criticism then being vocally supportive when the subject of it turns their form around as it shows objectiveness and the willingness to give the player a chance based on merit rather than preconceptions. Unfortunately that doesn't happen too often, the two options are vocal abuse or passive silent seethe that said player is proving their precious opinion wrong. 

Not a good performance from us but Brechin were much better than I expected if I'm being honest. 

If we put a performance like that in 12 months ago there's no way we would have won the game so I'm delighted we can grind out a result like that. 

Fans need to be more patient, positive and supportive when things aren't great. It's a long season and getting on players backs will not help anyone. 

Unfortunately the practice of having to pick out a perceived 'weak point' in the team for the focus of all frustration seems to be endemic among our support. 
At the start of pre season it was Samson who was the target after dropping one in against Dundee. 'We should never have f**king brought him back, he wasn't good enough last time and he's still not good enough' one shout from behind me came, 6 minutes into his debut. 
Sammy then settled many nerves and it was Jack Baird after that. Yes, he was deservedly criticised after his mistakes at Cappielow but the one performance was enough to convince several that he'll never be at a level required and was enough of a basis to justify him staying out of the side indefinitely. Jack returns and looks excellent for several weeks. Time to move on. 
Gary Irvine isnt in the side so he's escaped the ire as he's normally a bit of a heat magnet. 
So it falls at the lap of the big gangly awkward looking lad who hasn't really done anything to justify the frustration being thrown at him. He's got a decent touch, retains possession, can make the ball stick in the final third, has a great ethic and strong positional sense. But he's ungainly, runs awkward and is lanky so sticks out like a sore thumb. There were 4 young lads of about 17 at the East Kilbride game who sat behind me and whilst not shouting, were actively discussing how 'he's so f**king shite' and 'what a lump of wood' even when he scored the winner 'it wasn't even a good goal anyway, it was easy to put that one away' I ended up turning around and laughing at them and telling them thank f**k they aren't in charge of the side. 
Think it's time we started laying off our players when they are clearly giving it everything and mostly to good effect.  These are relatively good times and they don't come around often. There's always room for improvement and constructive criticism is part of that, that's understandable but some of the sustained abuse isn't warranted. I always love hearing those who are loudest in their criticism then being vocally supportive when the subject of it turns their form around as it shows objectiveness and the willingness to give the player a chance based on merit rather than preconceptions. Unfortunately that doesn't happen too often, the two options are vocal abuse or passive silent seethe that said player is proving their precious opinion wrong. 

Really good post, we are trying to win a league here, all of us as supporters and fans need to be giving these guys every bit of encouragement, particularly the young boys.

If we are to win this league all these boys will play their part.

Paragraphs mate. Paragraphs.
Otherwise; quality post.

46 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

Really good post, we are trying to win a league here, all of us as supporters and fans need to be giving these guys every bit of encouragement, particularly the young boys.

If we are to win this league all these boys will play their part.

My dad's been saying this for years.

You'll get the "it's all part of the game" crew but to players, especially younger players, it can have a real negative effect.

They get nervous, scared to have the ball, never mind try to do something positive.

Unfortunately these "supporters" will never change.

Think this post is spot on. I suppose all club's have a fickle element to their support, but if a crowd are quick to get on a team's or an individual player's back it leads to a downward spiral.

We all know how frustrating it can be at times, but at any level of football, encouragement and positivity can only help, especially towards the younger players and especially when they're having an off day. I think under the current manager, it won't be through lack of effort.

The relationship between the fans, the management team and the players is as good as it has been in a long time and so it should be sitting top of the league.

We should be saving our negative abuse for opposition players to try and put them off their game, rather than our own. I think we sometimes underestimate the impact our support can have on our team and what happens on the park. The fans in the dogfight at the end of last season were brilliant and the team definitely fed off of that.

It's going to be a long slog this season, so hopefully we can all keep pulling in the same direction, even when we have off days, which inevitably will and have already happened.

Very unwarranted abuse for Ross Stewart.

Without doubt he is ahead of Sutton in the pecking order.

He may make a couple of small mistakes but that's only because he always offers himself, running the channels, out wide, ball to feet while tightly marked.

This is not an attack on Sutton, who still has something to offer. But when you need an allrounder to offer energy and upset the opposition back line, Ross should be the go to man.

He terrorised Gary Mac by peeling off to the back post when we played Albion last season.

Last season compared to this season and some folk are still not happy  .........

22140782_1659848060701820_1770292832774759216_n.jpg.469f5f52cf41e77495f3d9053bc606e4.jpg
22154591_1659848064035153_5026661590384808833_n.thumb.jpg.3b4346b5cb6631a5fc09b2aaff9d4b5d.jpg

14 point swing & 20 better off in goal difference & bottom to top

I’ll take the scrappy wins home or away :)

It was brutal yesterday, but all about the points if we want to get out this league.

I’ve only been to 3 games so far & we have won them all , no complaints at all ( except I recommend taking a coat )

I'm not going to criticise the team we're going to have to grind out results like this over the season when we're not at our best. I went down to applaud the team as usual at the end of the game then this older guy ran over shouting & abusing the team because we weren't at our best. I just looked at him & said calm down we won & are at the top of the league. He was still ranting. Some people forget how far we've came over a short period with Jack Ross. COYS

Yesterday was tough to watch, but at the end of the day we won, and that actually is the be all and end all at this stage. It's actually brilliant that whilst missing 3 out of 4 first choice defenders and probably our second best midfield player we are sitting here at the top of the league. There were problems yesterday of course. We were far too casual in possession, and we always look shakey at the back. We struggled to build momentum because the passing was off, and therefore resorted to the long ball too often.

Also, Morgan, McShane and Reilly all had poor games by their standard. Having them all struggling at once is unusual. I've not seen Reilly shackled so well this season, the big CB really had his number.

I would say we haven't really played all that well since the Dundee United game, but we are 9 points out of 12 and top of the league. That's brilliant. Next two games are away, which is a real test. Home form has been great for a while now, but serious question marks over our ability away from the 2021. I reckon four to six points from those two games would really make a statement that we are genuine contenders this year.

5 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I only noticed myself when it looked like Brechin had a +19 goal difference.

See these people that can't post like for like tables, utterly shocking. :)

Hey, find your own friggin tables in future :)

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, like £3 is "around" £3.38 :lol:

I can't believe you are still wittering on about that. Arguing over 38p FFS. :lol:

It's all just loose change to me bud.

BTW why on earth would you NOT think that those two numbers were, in the scheme of things, around the same amount?

Edited by oaksoft

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I can't believe you are still wittering on about that. Arguing over 38p FFS. :lol:

It's all just loose change to me bud.

Not arguing, only pointing out if you're not right you're wrong.......................again.

You'd never make an engineer. :byebye

Edited by faraway saint