Catalonia

Guest TPAFKATS

• 3 weeks later...

23 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Catalonia has now declared itself an independent republic.

Spain continues to behave as it has all through this sad episode.

At this stage, with no concrete evidence that independence is wanted by the majority, I'm not clear Spain is behaving in any way other than they really could.

It's quite amusing that the Scottish nationalists support this attempted move for independence by a region of Spain with such passion. :lol:

What next, independence for Renfrewshire?  :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

At this stage, with no concrete evidence that independence is wanted by the majority, I'm not clear Spain is behaving in any way other than they really could.

It's quite amusing that the Scottish nationalists support this attempted move for independence by a region of Spain with such passion. :lol:

What next, independence for Renfrewshire?  :rolleyes:

The Catalan administration pursued every legitimate means by which to organise a referendum. Spain weren't interested, and demonstrated complacency and contempt.

If you are interested in the history, you will know that this is a situation that is almost 100 years in the making. Of course, Franco intervened (remember him).

Self-determination is an entirely reasonable aspiration of any community. Repression is corrosive and shames Spain.

9 hours ago, Drew said:

The Catalan administration pursued every legitimate means by which to organise a referendum. Spain weren't interested, and demonstrated complacency and contempt.

If you are interested in the history, you will know that this is a situation that is almost 100 years in the making. Of course, Franco intervened (remember him).

Self-determination is an entirely reasonable aspiration of any community. Repression is corrosive and shames Spain.

So, where do we draw the line for this yearning for independence?

The historical references mean little as it's what the people want now is important, which as I said is less than convincing.

A reasonable aspiration for a community, freedom for Feegie?  :lol:

Edited: The historical issue could well mean more than I indicated as these issues run deep in many communities and families. 

I agree with Salmonbuddie that the initial reaction was a major blunder.

Edited by faraway saint

33 minutes ago, Drew said:

Whilst l think the Catalans do have the right to claim full self determination, l don't think it will make a great deal of difference whilst they remain united to Brussels/Berlin . .

Some of the old wounds from the Franco era are still festering by the looks. .

The historical references mean little as it's what the people want now is important, which as I said is less than convincing.
A reasonable aspiration for a community, freedom for Feegie?  [emoji38]

How about they have a referendum supported by the national government so that everyone votes and the true figures are known? I think if they'd supported the first referendum then independence would have been defeated. I also think that their actions might just have swung the majority to independence if another was held today.

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Does it matter?

People should have the right to choose who governs them.

Can you not accept that?

By your reckoning a town could go for independence. Maybe a street, or a house? :blink: 

Can you not see that? :1eye

Of course it matters ya idiot. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:

How about they have a referendum supported by the national government so that everyone votes and the true figures are known? I think if they'd supported the first referendum then independence would have been defeated. I also think that their actions might just have swung the majority to independence if another was held today.

Possibly.  :wink:

Edited by faraway saint

12 hours ago, faraway saint said:

A reasonable aspiration for a community, freedom for Feegie?  :lol:

Edited: The historical issue could well mean more than I indicated as these issues run deep in many communities and families. 

I agree with Salmonbuddie that the initial reaction was a major blunder.

Yes, Spain should have allowed the referendum to go ahead without undue interference rather than sending in the jackboot wearing grunts. Had they done that, they could then query the method and outcome in a proper and proportionate manner.

It was a grossly stupid way to respond to a very deeply rooted issue.

Guest TPAFKATS
Your post was as close to preposterous as is your ability to use common sense.
Run along, football coming on soon. :byebye

Far be it for me to defend oakstur but he's entirely correct on this

Guest TPAFKATS
Tell me, how would this work and how far does this "right" go? Sorry, totally absurd in reality. 
PS Not the idea, the practicality. 

To use your examples of ferguslie and refrewshire- they dont have their own distinct language, flag, culture and sense of nationhood that Catalonia / Catalunya has.