Morton v St Mirren 2/1/18 LIVE ON BBC ALBA

shull

Honours even in the end, we dipped significantly in the second half with a few players blowing out their arses. Notably the normally assured Davis on 2/3 occasions when clearing up the flank was charged down by an opponent, even though Davis was miles ahead to get the ball.

i think it told on Morgan second half too, only managing a few contributions. We really need options in the midfield to rotate the squad. If Irvine is fit again he could put in a shift there, likewise if Todd comes back this season and stays fit. Will we see a couple of new faces who can hit the ground running?

dont see what some saints see in Quitongo? He, like Hippolyte are blowhards, sand dancers etc who do not even command the respect of their current managers to play 90 minutes. Still thanks to Quitongo for running very dangerous situations for us, straight into touch.

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Honours even in the end, we dipped significantly in the second half with a few players blowing out their arses. Notably the normally assured Davis on 2/3 occasions when clearing up the flank was charged down by an opponent, even though Davis was miles ahead to get the ball.

i think it told on Morgan second half too, only managing a few contributions. We really need options in the midfield to rotate the squad. If Irvine is fit again he could put in a shift there, likewise if Todd comes back this season and stays fit. Will we see a couple of new faces who can hit the ground running?

dont see what some saints see in Quitongo? He, like Hippolyte are blowhards, sand dancers etc who do not even command the respect of their current managers to play 90 minutes. Still thanks to Quitongo for running very dangerous situations for us, straight into touch.

Quitongo only turns up against us

According to Morton fans he doesn't do much against other teams in the league

8 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Debatable whether the Morton defender should've had a red for violent conduct to magennis when he was rightly booked. Not sure why McGinn got booked during the same incident. Harkins also a red for his foul?
The foul on Morgan in last 5 minutes was also a straight red - two feet off ground, from behind, led with studs.
Quitongo had a forearm smashes into Baird's face. No card.
I thought he called the booking for diving correct, then I saw a replay - there looked like contact. Thought Morgan dived, then saw the replay and it also looked line a pen. For both he was a lot closer than my view.

Fair enough, I've not seen any of the incidents replayed yet. Still think compared with the clown we had at the Dunfermline game he was OK, even if he was a bit lenient with some of the tackles. 

8 hours ago, paulsmfc said:

Morton could have had 3 or 4 sent off on another day. Was the O'Ware gesture caught on camera? Will the SPFL be investigating? Also what about the missile thrown by a Morton fan at Stelios? How do they choose what to investigate and what to sweep under the carpet?

8 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Let's not forget Teirney's assault on Stellios off the pitch . .

FFS Guys its a mans game and a derby! Such blinkered views  do you no credit at all. I thought Clancy's performance was one of the better ones I have seen this season.

37 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I'd heard a rumour they sold it off for scrap metal.

I think the basic problem with what they bought was that the seats they got wouldn't fit the "terracing " they currently have. .they simply could not afford to fit the materials they bought . It means they are probably marooned in the Championship for the foreseeable future , or a league below. .

1 minute ago, Mr Optimistic said:

FFS Guys its a mans game and a derby! Such blinkered views  do you no credit at all. I thought Clancy's performance was one of the better ones I have seen this season.

I would agree with you on Clancy's overall performance but the off the pitch assault is a red card offence on another day , we have seen them given .

Saint Mirren could've/should've put the game to bed in the first half then we wouldn't have lost the initiative in the second, in which circumstances we wouldn't be having the other conversations about who should have walked but there was violent behaviour from one or two Morton players that went unchecked . I think Robert Thomson should at least have been spoken too also about trying to knock the ball out of Samson's arms with his head - what the f**king hell was that :P

11 hours ago, Big Yards said:

If we are honest something is not quite right about our team at the minute. It's obviously great we are top of the league but we haven't played well for a full match for a long time. I was hoping ross would come out today and say that's not good enough but he didn't.

Last season we were getting praised by the likes of Rodgers as the best team they had played against. We were keeping the ball for long spells, creating fluid passing moves and controlling games.

Opposition managers have had ample opportunity to develop strategies to counter the style of play you've described. Some do it better than others (Aitken at Dumbarton being the most obvious example).

This is second tier Scottish fitba, and sometimes you have to shitfest results. I'm absolutely delighted that we seem to be able to do that more often than not. It's great to watch flowing, attacking football, but we've got to be realistic and pragmatic.

We ran out of steam yesterday, and Morton came back out with intent. They opted to get in the faces of the Saints players (literally, at times) and turned the match into a battle. This was effective for them, but resulted in a scrappy affair that wasn't great to watch. Duffy sent them back out with instructions, that was clear to see.

Jack Ross was spot on when he said after the game that we won't win every match, but it is another point that takes us in the right direction. Given what we've had to suffer all to often, I'll happily back him on that.

Edited by Drew

I rarely criticise JR , but I sometimes think we're too rigid and too predictable for too long with one wee man up top when games aren't going our way. I'm not a big Sutton fan now either , but he/we gave them more to think about during his short spell yesterday , than we did for the rest of the 2nd half.

2 minutes ago, billyg said:

I rarely criticise JR , but I sometimes think we're too rigid and too predictable for too long with one wee man up top when games aren't going our way. I'm not a big Sutton fan now either , but he/we gave them more to think about during his short spell yesterday , than we did for the rest of the 2nd half.

I agree. 2nd half we clearly had nothing to change it up in midfield, and Reilly for Mullen was a straight swap of two similar players. 

Sutton did bring some height and hold up potential which we need, something that Loy was excellent at last season. 

36 minutes ago, billyg said:

This.

Too early to see if Mullen will challenge Reilly or Smith for a starting spot when all are fit. So far he hasnt really clicked. So when it became obvious that wasnt working in the second half when Mullen was hooked, Ross should have double subbed Reilly & Sutton to take the fight to their defence.

i get why he sticks to the formation that has delivered most results, but equally he needs to be bold, earn his corn and make big changes to win games. If he continues to stay in his comfort zone other opportunities will be missed. Like they say "Go big, or Go home"

The team looked tired in the second half. Bringing on Reilly meant we had fresh legs up front for breakaways but I would have brought on Gary Mac to help shore up the defence as I thought Morton had a lot of possession but no cutting edge. Having more players pack the midfield may have limited them even more.

5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

There you go, not even a one trick pony.

remember when Morton were suggesting all sorts of clubs north & south of the border were tracking him..? Not anymore!

He doesn't impress me at all, TBH. I think he's planning his celebrations before he takes his shots. Also, he's too big - he needs to shed some of the muscle. Again, though, he's probably imagining how ripped he'll look when he takes his shirt off after scoring his five goals a season.

Genuinely wouldn't take him at SMP.

Edited by Magic Monkey

45 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:
5 hours ago, windae cleaner said:
Quitongo only turns up against us
According to Morton fans he doesn't do much against other teams in the league

hasn't been that good against us either. game at our ground he was subbed as well. Don't rate him.

If they can get their long ball working for a one-on-one, then he is certainly a threat. Apart from that, he doesn't have much in his locker.

Saw Quitongo for the first time yesterday. Ended up wondering what the hype was about. Apart from a quick turn of pace, he didn't seem to offer anything.  Don't think he's a player for us.

I do agree with some others about JR missing a trick with subs yesterday. It was clear for a while before Morton scored that they were coming right into the game. That might have been the time to put on Gary Mackenzie to give the defence fresh legs.

Only 2 points from 9 in the derby games this season, but I still trust in JR, when he says that we will win some, lose some. We move on and I'm sure he will have some new faces for us this month. I really hope that one of them is a strong tackler in midfield. I like Ian McShane and think he does try, but, as has been said on here, he goes missing too often in some games.

Saturday will be another tough test against ICT, a team which has come on to a bit of form lately. So.....COYS!!

38 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

On Sky News ( not Sky sports news )

2ce72d941d4b797122afb32db267bf4a.jpg

Instead of raging at the home support, Demetriou simply picks up the snack and takes a bite before getting on with the game.

These incidents are often more serious but hats off to the Buddies left-back for shrugging it off with a bit of humour. (Daily Record)

:happyclapper