Ferguslie Primary School UPDATED

Buddie Marvelous

Ferguslie Primary School.

There is a lot of conflicting stories regarding the name(s) of the old school. Here is what I believe to be true.....

Built in 1882,  Ferguslie Primary School, sat on Paisley's McKenzie Street and was one of the most beautiful schools ever to be built. On Monday 4th September 1882, the new school opened its doors to over 600 pupils.  An article from the  Paisley and Renfrewshire Gazette  puts the cost of the Victorian building at £10,099, with  a  Mr Coats gifting £1000. The rest of the money came from a Government grant and  The Public Works Loan Board.  Rennison and Scott were the famous architects of the school.  http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=202945

One week before the school was due to open, tile- layer Mr David Isdale, from Glasgow, fell from the belfry to the ground and died.

Around 1974 the school, closed due to structural defects and subsidence,  and the pupils were transferred to the old Oakshaw High school. Alas on the 20th of December 1978, vandals set fire to the Ferguslie Park School and despite the efforts of some 30 fire fighters, the school was destroyed and was demolished. The listed Victorian building  with  its architectural features was lost. The only remaining evidence of the School today is the low Wall bordering the pavement.

I myself attended Ferguslie Primary School, from 1969 to 1974 (approx). I remember my primary 1 teacher being Miss McMillan and the wee end, (the annex), being bossed by Mrs Irvine. The "big end", where the main building sat, housed the primary 6's and 7's. Our head was Mr.Gillies and I think Mr.Walker before him. My last days were in the huts and my teachers there were Miss Morrison and the great Mrs.Ruthven. Miss Morrison left for New Zealand in the mid 70's. She continued teaching and married to become Mrs. Pat Smith. Not long after the school closed Mrs. Ruthven retired and sadly died in a house fire.  

Many names I remember from my time at Primary school, Janice Moffat, Pauline and Lorraine Thornley, John McKenzie, Gayle Henderson, Kevin and Steven Kidd, Margaret and Billy Warnock, Peter McKillop, David Roy, Gary Reid, Alan and Fraser Millar. 

There's not too many photos of the old school around. 

If you have any memories that you would like to share, or any photos, please share them here.....

Image may contain: outdoor

Ferguslie Primary School 1882 - 1978

59d37270d2f43_Ferguslirpr.jpg.a8441d6521b1f38c59c0c24a6371305c.jpg

59d37298828d2_FERGUSLIEPRIMARYSCHOOL.jpg.0056863483edeed3f69587ce29c307ee.jpg

6e406c43026a9a9136cda63fd5f5bfef.jpg

This photo seems to have been shot before the huts were built, over at the wall facing the annex " wee end " building.

Edited by Buddie Marvelous
new info

Borrowed this from a thread in the "oor wee Toon" facebook page. Showing Miss Morrison had fond memories of the old school.
Pat Smith
Pat Smith I recognise a lot of these names! I taught at Ferguslie Primary School from 1966 to 1971, when I left to go to New Zealand where I continued to work as a teacher. I am now retired. My name was Morrison then. I'm sure I taught many of these children in P2. I may even have a class photo somewhere. I'll have a look for it.

Dave Slattery
Dave Slattery I remember you when you left we ended up with Mrs Ruthven I think was her name I can recall that you were a great teacher and all us kids loved you. Hope you are well oh the memories.

Pat Smith
Pat Smith Hello, David, nice to hear from you. Yes, Mrs Ruthven was the teacher of the next class. I'm glad you have happy memories of me. It's a bit of a gamble commenting on a post like this - you never know what kind of answer you might get! I have very happy memories of Ferguslie school.

6 minutes ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Just found this class photo of primary 2 from 1970. I don't recognize the faces, but I think that's ME in the bottom row.  Mibeez naw

Image may contain: 9 people, people smiling

Think this might be my class. I Think that's John McKenzie, Gayle Henderson, Janice Moffat. Need to keep studying it. 

35 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Re, David Roy. If he had a sister Shelia I remember him the bassa.

Gave me a glass of water to drink one morning that someone's falsers had been steeping in overnight. 

HA! No idea if it's the same David Roy mate. He'd be 53 now. He was in my class (I'm sure) and we went to the 30th Boys Brigade in St.Ninians together.

2 hours ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Just found this class photo of primary 2 from 1970. I don't recognize the faces, but I think that's ME in the bottom row.  Mibeez naw

Image may contain: 9 people, people smiling

Teacher - Miss Boyle , became a famous Singer.

9 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

I'm bottom right as you look at it. Not a place I care to remember or the evil old hag Ruthuven. Remember head master Mr Gillis. Have hated that place my whole life. Dreadful school

Sorry to hear that Gary. I didn't stop to think that school experiences might not be pleasant for everyone. I remember you very well and through the years seen you at the games. I'm the opposite. I loved the school and Mrs. Ruthven let me play the piano during singing time. A great many people saw her as an old bag and once she gave me the belt for something stupid. SIX rapid she gave me!  I remember her and my maw hitting it off and having a smoke together during a parents night. Who is the other teacher in your photo mate?

Sorry to hear that Gary. I didn't stop to think that school experiences might not be pleasant for everyone. I remember you very well and through the years seen you at the games. I'm the opposite. I loved the school and Mrs. Ruthven let me play the piano during singing time. A great many people saw her as an old bag and once she gave me the belt for something stupid. SIX rapid she gave me!  I remember her and my maw hitting it off and having a smoke together during a parents night. Who is the other teacher in your photo mate?

Can't remember bud. Remember the old bag. Mr Burns. Miss Goldie think it was. But apart from that I've tried to block it out. My mate Gary Blackwood his mum was the lollipop lady on Tannahill Road sadly she passed away a few years ago.

On 10/4/2017 at 2:53 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I remember pretty much all my teachers from Ferguslie, only one I can't remember is P2.

Miss McMillan, Mrs McGillvary, Mr  Stack, Mrs Ruthven, Mrs McIntosh and Miss Brownlie.

Do you remenber  Miss/Mrs Thomson, who never shouted at the pupils but whispered and everyone stopped talking to hear her. I remember her more from Oakshaw though. Years later I was managing a store in Johnstone and in she walked. She was honest enough to say she didn't remember me, (well she wasn't one of my teachers),  but she held Ferguslie and its pupils in high regard. She hated it when anyone would bring us down.

What was your take on Mrs Ruthven?

Edited by Buddie Marvelous