Ferguslie Primary School UPDATED

Buddie Marvelous

3 hours ago, Buddie Marvelous said:

Think your headmaster would have been Mr. Walker. I vaguely remember him before Gillies took over.

I'm pretty sure the headmaster was Mr. Morrison before Angus Gillies took over.

I'd forgotten how strange Mr. Gillies's hair was, like rusty steel wool.

Found in the Scottish Post Office Directories....

Thumbnail gallery: Grid view | List view

(332)

324 PAISLEY DIRECTORY.
  4.— Mossvale Public School, Springbank Road.
  Head Master— Alexander Tagg, C.T., F.E.I.S.
  Junior Master — Dewar G. Robb, C.T.
  Mistress of Standard I. — Johanna Matheson.
  Initiatory Department Mistress — Mary Dickie.
  Janitor, Drill Instructor, and Teacher of Gymnastics — Thomas Riddell, 3 Russell street.
  5. — Ferguslie Public School, Blackstoun Road.
  Opened 4th September, 1882.
  Head Master— Robert Ferguson. Second Master- James R. Taylor.
  Infant Department— Head Mistress— Janet A. Allan.
  Janitor and Drill Instructor — Ronald Renfrew.
  6. — North Public School, Love Street.
  Opened 4th September, 1876.
  Head Master — James Brown.
  Second Mastei — James Adam.
  Mistress — Jane Todd.
  Janitor, Drill Instructor, and Teacher of Gymnastics — William Rodger.
  7. —South Public School, Neilston Road.
  Head Master — William Taylor, M.A.
  Junior Master — Alexander Rodger, M.A.
  Mistress of Standard I. — Julia M 'Andrew.
  Initiatory Department — Mistress — Kate M'Nair.
  Drawing Mastei — James Marshall.
  Janitor — John Crooks, 4 New Stock street.
  8. — East Public School, Abbey Terrace.
  Head Mastei — John Noble. Junior Master — Alex. Craig C.T.
  Head Mistress — Annabella M. Morton.
  Janitor — John M'Taggart, 1 Sherwood buildings.
  9. — West Public School, George Street.
  Head Master— George Dick, C.T , F.E.I.S.
  Senior Department — Master — Geo. Dick, C.T., F.E.I.S.
  James A. Wilson, C.T.
  Junior Department — John Cullen, A. Mus., T.C.L.
  Initiatory Department — Mistrets — Helen P. M'Farlane, C.T.
  Janitor — David Kennedy, 2 King street.
  10. — Carbrook Street Public School.
  Opened 5th September, 1898.
  Head Master — George H. Cockburn, F.E.I.S. Second Master — Alex. Andrew, M.A.
  Head Mistress — Jessie Waterston, F.E.I.S.
  Assistant Masters — Moses Henry, Robert A. Macai thur, and James Cuthbertson.
  Assistant Mistresses — Margaret Anderson, Jessie Stevenson. Anne Steven, Mary S. Dunn,
  Mai'ion L. Stevenson, Mary J. Irvine, and Mary Davidson,
  Teacher of Cookery — Maggie Stewart. Teacher of Woodwork — John Christie.
  Janitor and Drill Instructoi — Beattie Ar, drew, 13 W. Campbell street.
  11. — Oakshaw Public School.
  Head Master — H. A. Tulloch.
  Senior Department — H. A. Tulloch and Assistants.
  Junior Department — John Mackay, F.E I.S., and Assistants.
  Enfant Department — Jane Reid and Assistants.
  Janitor and Drill Instructor — Wm. Shaw
  Ferguslie (Maxwellton) School, Lounsdale Road.
  Inaugurated 10th January, 18S7.
  Directors — J. & P. Coats Limited, Paisley. Chairman — Peter Coats.
  Government Year ends 31st October.
  Teachers.
  Head Mistress — Mary Anderson.
  Assistant Teachers — Margaret B. M'Nee, Mary Coats, Annie Leishman, and Ellen Thomson.
  Janitor — James Christie, 54 George street.
  St. Mary's Roman Catholic School, 21 Queen Street.
  Head Mistress — Miss Bresnan. Janitor — Michael Collins.

Ferguslie Primary School.      (Updated with facts)

There is a lot of conflicting stories regarding the name(s) of the old school. Here is what I believe to be true.....

Built in 1882,  Ferguslie Primary School, sat on Paisley's Blackstoun Road * and was one of the most beautiful schools ever to be built. On Monday 4th September 1882, the new school opened its doors to over 600 pupils.  An article from the  Paisley and Renfrewshire Gazette  puts the cost of the Victorian building at £10,099, with  a  Mr Coats gifting £1000. The rest of the money came from a Government grant and  The Public Works Loan Board.  Rennison and Scott were the famous architects of the school.  http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=202945

One week before the school was due to open, tile- layer Mr David Isdale, from Glasgow, fell from the belfry to the ground and died.

Around 1974 the school, closed due to structural defects and subsidence,  and the pupils were transferred to the old Oakshaw High school. Alas on the 20th of December 1978, vandals set fire to the Ferguslie Park School and despite the efforts of some 30 fire fighters, the school was destroyed and was demolished. The listed Victorian building  with  its architectural features was lost. The only remaining evidence of the School today is the low Wall bordering the pavement.

*  Modern maps showed the school, to be on McKenzie Street

It's amazing how wrong some information can be on the world wide web.  Loads of misinformation and incomplete facts.

I was genuinely trying to put together some facts about the old Ferguslie Primary School, to share to anyone who is interested in old buildings, old Paisley/Ferguslie, or indeed like me, my old school. I found it almost impossible to corroborate any evidence found. I have found NO evidence to say the school was ever called Craigielea Primary, just the fact that it's in that area. I will continue to dig deep and am currently looking through old Paisley and Renfrewshire Gazette newspapers from 1882. 

If anyone can add to the facts, or memory's, please share, leave a wee comment or simply " like".  :D 

Edited by Buddie Marvelous

A video mainly about Craigielea Drive (where the West Stand car park is now) but there's a tiny snippet filmed outside Ferguslie Primary at 4:20

Enjoyed that wee clip.

A time when immigration/ drugs / knife crime were not the norm.

Britain was very much Britain

Seems so recent, yet all too distant

16 hours ago, whydowebother said:

Enjoyed that wee clip.

A time when immigration/ drugs / knife crime were not the norm.

Britain was very much Britain

Seems so recent, yet all too distant

17 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

A video mainly about Craigielea Drive (where the West Stand car park is now) but there's a tiny snippet filmed outside Ferguslie Primary at 4:20

Yeh, I love watching this clip, and the background music helps with the reminiscing. You can see the construction of the new "cruden" houses, and we were one of the first familys to be housed there. Number 2 Ferguslie Park Avenue. Not many people had cine cameras in those days! 

The film was taken by Neil  O'Gormley, father of Paddy (shown in the clip) who I met many years ago. In the early 1980's, I worked with his best mate Lauchlan Gauld ,(Lacky) a great St.Mirren fan,who I believe went to Ferguslie Primary also. 

I totally agree with you 'whydowebother', life seemed a lot simpler back then.:D

Edited by Buddie Marvelous
spelling

Yeh, I love watching this clip, and the background music helps with the reminiscing. You can see the construction of the new "cruden" houses, and we were one of the first familys to be housed there. Number 2 Ferguslie Park Avenue. Not many people had cine cameras in those days! 

The film was taken by Neil  O'Gormley, father of Paddy (shown in the clip) who I met many years ago. In the early 1980's, I worked with his best mate Lauchlan Gauld ,(Lacky) a great St.Mirren fan,who I believe went to Ferguslie Primary also. 

I totally agree with you 'whydowebother', life seemed a lot simpler back then.[emoji3]

A lot of my family grew up on the Ave & Crescent , my grandad had a cruden hoose number 50 I think.

It was Foxbar for me ( Lexwell Road ) but there was a point as a kid where you could not enter/leave Ferguslie without going over or under a bridge if I remember correctly?

Paisley has changed so much, i loved growing up in Paisley, but I’m glad I’m not a kid growing up their now.

I think Lacky was a friend of my Uncle Eddie , the name is one I’ve heard via many a Saints story.

1 hour ago, whydowebother said:

A lot of my family grew up on the Ave & Crescent , my grandad had a cruden hoose number 50 I think.

It was Foxbar for me ( Lexwell Road ) but there was a point as a kid where you could not enter/leave Ferguslie without going over or under a bridge if I remember correctly?

Paisley has changed so much, i loved growing up in Paisley, but I’m glad I’m not a kid growing up their now.

I think Lacky was a friend of my Uncle Eddie , the name is one I’ve heard via many a Saints story.

Is your Uncle Eddie Paul?

Proof here from The Paisley and Renfrewshire Gazette, that the school was opened as FERGUSLIE  PRIMARY  and not Craigielea.

Paisley & Renfrewshire Gazette

PAISLEY AND RENFIIEVV SHIRE GAZETTE, JULY 29, 1882

... 299 children not attending school. We expect to find them, and all such in other districts of the town, in the new Ferguslie School at Craigielea on Monday, 4th Sept. Parents desirous; of sending their children to this school are recommended ...

Published: Saturday 29 July 1882 
Newspaper: Paisley & Renfrewshire Gazette 
County: Renfrewshire, Scotland 
Type: Article | Words: 1309 | Page: 5 | Tags: none

From...  

Paisley

A historical perspective, drawn from the Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland: A Survey of Scottish Topography, Statistical, Biographical and Historical, edited by Francis H. Groome and originally published in parts by Thomas C. Jack, Grange Publishing Works, Edinburgh between 1882 and 1885. 

...the school gets a wee mention...

Schools.-The Grammar School and Academy dates as an institution from 1576, and stood originally in School Wynd, on the site of the manse of the chaplain of St Ninian's chapel in Abbey Church. In 1756 it was removed to another building farther up the wynd; and in 1864 a new school, which is a handsome Tudor building, with accommodation for 580 scholars, was provided at a cost of about £3473. Up till 1873 it was managed by the town council and a committee of subscribers, but then in terms of the Education Act it passed into the hands of the school board. It is at present conducted by a rector, three masters, three junior masters, and a mistress. The Neilson Educational Institution on Oakshawhead was erected and endowed in 1851-52 from a bequest of £20,000 made by Mr John Neilson of Nethercommon. It is a handsome building in the form of a Greek cross with a central dome, and the work is carried on by nine masters and two mistresses. Under the burgh school board are thirteen public schools-East, West, North, South, Carbrook Street, Adelphi Hall, George Street Central, Stevenson Street, Stow, Queen Street, Graham Educational Institute, Mossvale, and West End Mission; and these, with total accommodation for 5049 pupils, had (1883) an average attendance of 5029, and grants amounting to £4334, 17s. 9d. Some of the buildings are poor and inconvenient, but others, and particularly the Ferguslie school on the NW, finished and opened in 1882, are handsome and well-designed. The other schools are an Infant Training school in Lawn Street, Hutcheson's Charity school, the Industrial school, Miss Kibble's Reformatory Institution (1859), an Episcopal school, and three Roman Catholic schools. The Government School of Art and Design, established in 1848, is in the centre of the town not far from the County Buildings. Though it performs good work, its own appearance is by no means compatible with its purposes. On an average about 88 pupils are trained in it every year

35 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I suppose that article shows the attitudes of the time when it names all the other schools and then finishes with "an Episcopal school, and three Roman Catholic schools".

Agreed.

Also, I'm surprised Ferguslie Primary got a mention at all. I'm of the opinion that if such a spectacular build of a school was built anywhere else in Paisley, then it would have got a bit more              " press " release and would have been a lot easier to research on the internet. It would certainly not have been left to a ned and a box of matches and demolished in such a carefree manner!