St Mirren V Morton 28th Oct

Jimmy H

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Thought it was a good game. Reckoned beforehand it would be a draw and that was probably about right in the end. Disappointing after being ahead twice though.

First goal was a clear foul, not sure if it was in the box though. Nice to see us score a penalty for a change.

Tremendous hit for Morton's first equaliser, although the header out from whichever defender was really poor.

Great finish from Reilly for the second but he should have buried the one moments later. If he had it was game over but you just knew it was going to cost us.

It was blatantly obvious a foul was coming at Morton's corner given the ref spoke to players from both teams, was just a question of which way it was going. Had to be Harkins that scored it, although was funny seeing him cause chaos in his own box every time he tried to defend in the first half. His pass to no one was also a thing of beauty.

Have to question why Reilly would dive in that position but he didn't complain too much when he got booked. Seemingly Ross and Duffy both think it was a penalty though.

We were three points clear at the end of the first quarter and after drawing two tricky games we're still two clear so can't complain too much about that. Must be our longest winless league run for months!

Sounded like Charlie Mann at the BBC thought that the Reilly incident was a penalty too and he is a Mor*on fan I reckon but that is fitba , the ref has a name for being controversial .

Thought we should have taken them right enough , and certainly we were very unlucky not to be 3-1 up . .

The important thing is that , we remain top of the table and that's what counts in the end as we endevour to get automatic promotion. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime
edited by Tom for grammar and constitutional errors

Looked to me that Reilly was caught for the "non penalty" but, to be fair, we had enough chances to put the game to bed anyway. Still League fortress at the 2021 stadium and, more importantly, still top of the league going into November. Fireworks next week up in Dundee and a good win sets the marker.

1 hour ago, pod said:

Mallan was spectator at game today.  

Aye so was I :rolleyes:  shame he couldn't come on and take our free kicks. We blew it today and how many times is that now we have blow a lead against them at home in the last 2 seasons ?  :thumbsdown

For me they had got stuck in right from the start, we have no one who could hit them back this was a game where we need a soldier in the  middle off the park someone that will get stuck in thats where we went wrong today didn'tsee anyone get stuck in like there full team. But on a positive note at least it was a point gained in our bid to go up 

Two points dropped, pure and simple. M*rt*n were poor and unfortunately we decided to have an off day today.
From my vantage point Lewis was well outside the box when pulled down. Foul but no penalty.
Sloppy stuff for their first equaliser. 70 yard kick from their goalie should have been dealt with.
Good attacking play for our second. Morgan pass, collected by Smith (MoM), great finish by Reilly.
Their penalty? Who knows? There were enough warnings and it could have gone either way. To be honest, I wish officials would penalise defenders more often for blatant pulling and blocking.
Had a great side-on view of the Reilly pen. 100% penalty, the fact Saints players didn't complain is irrelevant.
I wonder if the ref will be the first to be demoted 2 weeks in a row?
Another huge game next week, hope we turn up.

Dont know if everyone will agree but i thought McGinn had another below par performance
Carrying an injury i know
Do we have a replacement for that position ?
Dont want our best player out injured long term

Not sure what game you were watching but McGinn was immense today. He tired a bit towards the end (which led to a few misplaced passes) but by and large I thought he was excellent.

Thoroughly enjoyed the match today some of our play was very pleasing on the eye we have great players in Morgan both Smiths and Reilly and McGinn was a class act.Had a clear view of the Reilly incident from the main stand and the Morton boy clearly caught Gavin who showed the ref the stud mark on his knee but alas this thoroughly incompetent ref was having none of it.Onwards and upwards.COYS.

12 minutes ago, bender rodriguez said:

Sorry disagree with most on here thought we were well below par. They are a f**kin pub team if we want to win this league that's games we need to win. It's very apparent jack has a problem with Sutton on a personal level hope his subs don't come back to bite him on the arse

Sutton came on last week at Falkirk and changed the game. We got worse 

Sorry disagree with most on here thought we were well below par. They are a f**kin pub team if we want to win this league that's games we need to win. It's very apparent jack has a problem with Sutton on a personal level hope his subs don't come back to bite him on the arse

Agreed, Bender. Although Stewart was decent when he came on there is no way we should be leaving a players of Sutton’s pedigree on the bench in games where we need a goal.

20 minutes ago, bender rodriguez said:

It's very apparent jack has a problem with Sutton on a personal level hope his subs don't come back to bite him on the arse

Although I would have picked Sutton myself today, the reality is that notwithstanding John's respectable footballing career, he will be 34 next month, and so I would guess that Jack is looking to the future (hence putting on young Ross Stewart) and its nothing personal with big John. 

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

Not sure what game you were watching but McGinn was immense today. He tired a bit towards the end (which led to a few misplaced passes) but by and large I thought he was excellent.

I'm glad I didn't "skim" as I was about to say the same thing. In fact I was going to say he looked close to being back to a bit of form after a few below par performances. He broke things up and held the ball till players moved ahead of him.

2 hours ago, Lizard King said:

yeah well fair do's and all that,and i stand corrected.

maybe frustration at dropping 2 points to the mong or divs bad camera work :-P 

We move on and look forward to next week,which is another huge game for us,but thats what happens when your TOP OF THE LEAGUE

I thought we played reasonably well today creating a few decent chances but didn't take them.

Disappointing how we twice failed to hold onto a lead especially the penalty incident which was definitely avoidable and looked extremely soft with next to no contact. Looking forward to seeing it again on the highlights.

Our next three games are of the extremely tough variety with United away, Livingston at home then Inverness away.

If we are still of the pile after these three games then I will be extremely happy.

Let's enjoy being top of the league for another week and look forward to another massive game at Tannadice next weekend.

Anyone suggesting that McGinn was poor needs his head felt.

I think we actually improved when Stewart came on. He created space by occupying a couple of defenders when on the ball, and linked up well enough with his team mates. My preference was for Sutton to come on, but big Ross did well.

Not one for criticising refs but McLean should’ve been nowhere near a high profile match like that after the week he’s had. For a man that parades around with FIFA badges on his chest, he was atrocious today.

Could’ve bet my life he was gonna even it up by giving Morton a penalty. Corner was barely even kicked before he blew for it. He knew he f**ked up with ours and couldn’t wait to make it right. 2 wrongs don’t make a right, unfortunately.

Gavin Reilly incident was in front of me, it’s an absolute stone waller and he books him for diving. I think he had gotten to a point where he wasn’t gonna make anymore big decisions and took the easy way out.

Referees can be frustrating but when you make decisions that affect the outcome of a game, we’re in trouble.

Not to mention the fact it should’ve been a corner to us before their goal.

All this being said, we had plenty of chances today and frustratingly couldn’t tuck them away.