Brian Gallagher

Q "How many Scottish players have scored an away hatrick in Europe? I know Brian Gallacher did it for St Mirren v Hammarby. Any others? asks Squire from Paisley.

A Perhaps surprisingly there are NINE others. First to bag an away hat-trick was the original 'Yogi' - John Hughes of Celtic back in September 1963 in a 5-1 victory over Basle of Switzerland in a first round Cup-Winners Cup tie.

Two years later in the same round of the same competition and in the same month, Bobby Lennox did the same in Holland against Go Ahead of Deventer as Celtic ran out 6-0winners.

But in Belgium in November 1967 the prodigious George McLean surpassed those feats. 'Dandy' scored all four in Dundee's 4-1 Fairs Cup second round win over Royal Liege.

Almost exactly three years after that, Willie Wallace notched a treble for Celtic as they beat Irish Champions Waterford 7-0 in the second round of the 1970-71 European Cup.

There was a thirteen-year gap until the next big away scorer and that marksman's identity may come as a surprise. For it was Dave McPherson who was the first Rangers player to achieve this distinction when he scored four in Malta against Valetta in a Cup-Winners Cup first round game in September 1983.

Paul Sturrock was next up with three for Dundee United against Bohemians of Ireland in a5-2 UEFA Cup first round win in September 1985.

One month later came Brian Gallagher with all St Mirren's goals in the 3-3 draw in Swedenwith Hammarby in the UEFA Cup second round. Gallagher is the only away Scottish hat-trick scorer not to finish on the winning side in the match in question. He is also the only one to have scored an away hat-trick and end up losing the tie as Hammarby won at Love Street in the second leg.

Another long hiatus followed with nearly eleven years elapsing before (inevitably, I suppose)Ally McCoist got in on the act with three as Rangers routed Russian champions Alania Vladikavkaz 7-2 in a Champions League qualifier in August 1996.

The last such occurrence to date was also the only time when two players bagged away hat-tricks in a single game. Robbie Winters hit four and Gary McSwegan scored three as Dundee United ran out 8-0 winners against the hapless Principat of Andorra in a UEFA Cuppreliminary round match in July 1997. For the record, Lars Zetterlund scored United's other goal.

So there we have it. Ten in all. Three apiece for Celtic and Dundee United. Two for Rangersand one each for Dundee and St Mirren. All by recognised strikers except McPherson's. You can take some consolation, Squire, in that I reckon Gallagher's hat-trick was the hardest to achieve. I know some of the early ones were scored against teams from Holland and Belgium but most football was part-time in those countries in those days.

Spoilsports.........

13 minutes ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Q "How many Scottish players have scored an away hatrick in Europe? I know Brian Gallacher did it for St Mirren v Hammarby. Any others? asks Squire from Paisley.

A Perhaps surprisingly there are NINE others. First to bag an away hat-trick was the original 'Yogi' - John Hughes of Celtic back in September 1963 in a 5-1 victory over Basle of Switzerland in a first round Cup-Winners Cup tie.

Two years later in the same round of the same competition and in the same month, Bobby Lennox did the same in Holland against Go Ahead of Deventer as Celtic ran out 6-0winners.

But in Belgium in November 1967 the prodigious George McLean surpassed those feats. 'Dandy' scored all four in Dundee's 4-1 Fairs Cup second round win over Royal Liege.

Almost exactly three years after that, Willie Wallace notched a treble for Celtic as they beat Irish Champions Waterford 7-0 in the second round of the 1970-71 European Cup.

There was a thirteen-year gap until the next big away scorer and that marksman's identity may come as a surprise. For it was Dave McPherson who was the first Rangers player to achieve this distinction when he scored four in Malta against Valetta in a Cup-Winners Cup first round game in September 1983.

Paul Sturrock was next up with three for Dundee United against Bohemians of Ireland in a5-2 UEFA Cup first round win in September 1985.

One month later came Brian Gallagher with all St Mirren's goals in the 3-3 draw in Swedenwith Hammarby in the UEFA Cup second round. Gallagher is the only away Scottish hat-trick scorer not to finish on the winning side in the match in question. He is also the only one to have scored an away hat-trick and end up losing the tie as Hammarby won at Love Street in the second leg.

Another long hiatus followed with nearly eleven years elapsing before (inevitably, I suppose)Ally McCoist got in on the act with three as Rangers routed Russian champions Alania Vladikavkaz 7-2 in a Champions League qualifier in August 1996.

The last such occurrence to date was also the only time when two players bagged away hat-tricks in a single game. Robbie Winters hit four and Gary McSwegan scored three as Dundee United ran out 8-0 winners against the hapless Principat of Andorra in a UEFA Cuppreliminary round match in July 1997. For the record, Lars Zetterlund scored United's other goal.

So there we have it. Ten in all. Three apiece for Celtic and Dundee United. Two for Rangersand one each for Dundee and St Mirren. All by recognised strikers except McPherson's. You can take some consolation, Squire, in that I reckon Gallagher's hat-trick was the hardest to achieve. I know some of the early ones were scored against teams from Holland and Belgium but most football was part-time in those countries in those days.

Spoilsports.........

Where did you find that?That must be 15 years ago I asked that question.

also scored a good goal that was disallowed ,

saw highlights and looked  fine so should have had a 4th

2nd leg would have been so different,

memory lane hope new fans experience euro nights 

one off the many  who went to Belgium ,  would like to get away with saints one more  time someday

33 minutes ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Have I outed you Squire....:lol:

Scottish League.Net....Linky  http://www.scottishleague.net/archive/archive51.htm

You are very Welcome Sir !

I was also "Junior Fan,Paisley" :lol:

Big Al (The Cat) was a workmate who loved to go on about "when I played professional football".

I decided to get his career stats!!!