St Mirren v Livingston(Postponed) 11/11/17

Ronnie

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

Actually disagree with your last paragraph there Drew. I thought Livi were very effective in the first half and briefly for the second. Very, very ugly to watch but they did what they had to do. Thankfully football prevailed in the end, despite an utter bell end of a referee failing to control a game. Again.

Fair enough, Herbie.

I wasn't impressed at all, and expected more from them. It was pretty one dimensional, agricultural stuff, and we just had to be patient and play as we can to run out comfortable winners.

It looked like two teams with a dozen points between them as opposed to a couple. I'm not sure if they looked any better than a few of the teams who are sitting in the bottom half just now.

I'm not being complacent, however. We will hit slumps, and will struggle at times as we have already seen. I thought we looked superior in every area last night, though, without playing at our best throughout the game.

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

Fair enough, Herbie.

I wasn't impressed at all, and expected more from them. It was pretty one dimensional, agricultural stuff, and we just had to be patient and play as we can to run out comfortable winners.

It looked like two teams with a dozen points between them as opposed to a couple. I'm not sure if they looked any better than a few of the teams who are sitting in the bottom half just now.

I'm not being complacent, however. We will hit slumps, and will struggle at times as we have already seen. I thought we looked superior in every area last night, though, without playing at our best throughout the game.

I thought they (Livi) looked similar to Inverness- a big ,physical , dirty team .

Most pleasing aspect of last night was the return to form of Kyle Magennis.  I thought some of our passing and movement was excellent, and it seems we are learning to exploit space better when the opposition double or treble up on Morgan.  I would say that is the most exciting aspect of this team, the opposition will target Morgan given his reputation now but I wouldn't fancy coming up against Cammy Smith, Gavin Reilly and Kyle Magennis running at me either.

Annoyed at our goal in the first half being chopped off.  Refs need to stop this nonsense of giving a keeper a free kick just because he can't take a cross.

I do feel we need to be more ruthless in front of goal and either McGinn or McShane needs to be more capable of protecting the defence when the opposition breaks.  It was a comfortable win in the end but Livvy did pass up some great chances.

If we can add these elements to our game we should be confident of giving anyone a game, including Aberdeen.  Eckersley is becoming a threat going forward and Liam Smith is a strong runner, which is going to help Morgan and Magennis create more chances.

Just one request - Jack Baird, please give the ball to McGinn if a 50 yard cross-field pass is required.  You are just giving the ball away otherwise!

Folk have mentioned it already, but it has to be said that Adam Eckersley was superb last night. McGinn absolutely strolled it, and the forward players ran their defence ragged.

We were strong at the back, and some of the interplay was a joy to watch.

Only real issue for me is that we are still a bit slow to close down in the middle area of the pitch. If we snuffed attacks out quicker in the midfield, opposition teams would be limited to aimless punts that we should be able to mop up. As it is, we leave space to exploit.

Every Club hates us. 

They won't fecking miss us when we are in the Premiership next Season. 

Lee Bullen startit all this petty jealousy years ago. 

FECKEM ALL. 

And to add. 

Jack Ross is one classy dude. 

Rips others a new one then a wee apology after the damage is done. 

Brilliant 

What a boy, and he is ours. 

Another add.. 

Macgennis is an outstanding football player and as tough and hard as feck. The Stadium fecking shook last night as a result of one of his tackles. 

One more thing.. 

To the dude behind me in W1 who moaned and screamed at the short corner. 

Just wait and see the outcome next time. 

Lewis knows what he is doing. 

BRING ON DUMBARTON 

AMEN :byebye

Livingston are a decent team and will be hard for anyone to beat this season, so last night was a great 3 points. Their defenders dealt well with our front players , sometimes a bit roughly it has to be said, but we kept at it and I thought Eck had a great game, as did Morgan of course. First viewing of Davis and he is a good passer and organiser, Jack Baird will benefit from this I think. The last two games have put an end to the dodgy run recently, so if we can beat Dumbarton on Saturday ( not an easy task) we are back on track. Only down side of last night was driving home and having to avoid a yak which was being pursued by a polar bear. It was that cold !

Great game last night. Also, good atmosphere despite the smaller than usual crowd.

Lots of praise on here for our usual stars, but spare a thought for Liam Smith who got through a power of work both in defence and attack and was on the wrong end of a very bad tackle in the second half. Like some others on here, I'm surprised that Livi are so high up the table with that type of football.

Referee not strict enough with some of the Livi tackles but gave the penalty, which he might not have done, given what he let go elsewhere in the game, so wasn't all bad.

United v Dunfermline this weekend, so chance to move away a bit at the top if we beat Dumbarton, which we should do, given last night's performance.

COYS!

Edited by pondsman

19 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Like any team that gets promoted you need consistency and lots of wins . Sat was our first win in 4 yet tonight we can return to the summit.....

JR targeted 21/27 points for first 9

Wonder what is target was for 2nd 9..... I reckon with this,  Brechin, QOS, Sons and Pars at home he is targeting 5 wins - taking us to 20 pts and 41 total, that surely will give us a gap to 2nd.....

Staring tonight- 3-1 Saints

Eh that's 2 for 2 as I also predicted 2-0 Saints Saturday

Forget the bookies just ask me-- 15% Cut

Good performance and great result last night.  Really enjoyed seeing us maintain composure, shape and desire to play football that saw us pull clear in the second half. As I said yesterday we are now halway through four (in my opinion) must win fixtures that can see us face Dun Utd on the 29/12 with a decent gap between us.

again on my pet subject of the team that makes the least mistakes prevailing. I think Lazlo at Utd cocked up last week, and he will again as he tries to shape his side. Last night we should have been two goals to the good before half time. The manager admits as much in his pre match interview. These are learning points for this season, chances spurned like this next season in the top league wont come around again so easily. Get the next two games won then we can stride through all our remaining games as league leaders, with the others chasing 2,3 or 4th place. When we play football in this league, no one can match us... but it must have an end result and not be football for football's sake.

20 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Like any team that gets promoted you need consistency and lots of wins . Sat was our first win in 4 yet tonight we can return to the summit.....

JR targeted 21/27 points for first 9

Wonder what is target was for 2nd 9..... I reckon with this,  Brechin, QOS, Sons and Pars at home he is targeting 5 wins - taking us to 20 pts and 41 total, that surely will give us a gap to 2nd.....

Staring tonight- 3-1 Saints

Does anyone have the league table after 14 games last season ? I'm more interested in how many points the top teams had, rather than how miserly our own total was at that time ....

I thought we were solid rather than spectacular last night. Great desire and bottle to come back from a goal down but I still feel we have a gear or two to go through yet which bodes well.  Livvy disappointed me a bit just a team of big physical guys playing o their strengths. We stood up to it fairly well given our lack of physicality and that again is a real plus point. Great chance next two games to create a gap on one or more teams at the top end.

The ref is getting a hard time. Nothing new in that. Yes...I would have called a few things differently but I liked the way he allowed well timed slide tackles and his recognition that football is a contact sport. The foul count was heavily against Livvy...I think 17 to 7. Interestingly attempts at goal were equal 8...8. So pat on the back for Samson perhaps.

Edited by St.Ricky

31 minutes ago, melmac said:

Personally, I thought McShane was duff, the game ran by him most of time and his contribution was limited, bar the obvious.

This!

we still lack that holding midfield influence alongside McGinn. That said we move the ball more sweetly and crisply than anyone else in this league. Maybe a role we could fill in January?

2 hours ago, turrabuddie said:

Does anyone have the league table after 14 games last season ? I'm more interested in how many points the top teams had, rather than how miserly our own total was at that time ....

I think for Hibs and Falkirk who finished 1/2 last year

Hibs 9 wins, 4 draws 1 loss - 31 points

Falkirk 6 wins 4 draws 4 loss - 22 points

This year 

Saints 9 wins 2 draws 3 loss - 29 points

SS

Just back in North Berwick after a great night in Paisley. For what it’s worth here’s my tuppence worth about the match.

I don’t think Livi were as a bad as everyone suggests. For the first 10-15 minutes, they played some decent football and looked quite dangerous. Their attacking style also meant we could play football and our boys held on to the ball well and passed it about with some confidence. The Livi tactics got a bit more cynical after their goal and whilst we totally outplayed them in the first half there is no doubt they outsmarted us.

The second half was all ours though. I thought the boys showed not only great skill but great bravery refusing to cow-tow when the big livi thugs tried to take them out. Morgan was sublime and in one crunching 50/50 collision both Magennis and the Livi player jumped back up both obviously in agony but determined not to let the other know how much they were hurting. No one was taking prisoners out there and our boys held their own.

Eckerlsy was excellent, Bairdy was brilliant, Morgan was magnificent and so it went on. It didn’t matter which saint had the ball they all delivered the goods. There wasn’t a bad player in the team just 11 very good, superb or magical buddies and three super subs giving their all for the cause.

Someone suggested Bairdy thought he was Maldini and that that was a bad thing. Feck it, Bairdy was the bees baws out there and I hope he keeps the kind of self-belief he had last night. Morgan can be Maradona, Reilly can be Ronaldo and McShane can be fecking Messi if they keep playing with that commitment and skill. I thought the whole team was magnificent.

And what about Jack Ross? Never mind Arsene Wenger’s magic hat we’ve got JR’s magic Cardigan. Some solid substitutions to protect the points and it was amusing to watch Livi running about trying to get the ball back in play after their first half time wasting tactics.

Well done the Saints and roll on Saturday when we must go through all that again

Just another Saturday? Is it Feck! We’re top of the league and they’re no.

Edited by East Lothian Saint
Messi post

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Here you go...

table14.JPG

We definitely only had 4 points after 14 games. Possible that this has taken games in their original order with possibly our QoS match originally scheduled earlier in the season but postponed for the Irn Bru cup - wasn't played til the 6th December on a Tuesday night I believe. I know, I'm a hopeless pedant...

3 hours ago, melmac said:

Personally, I thought McShane was duff, the game ran by him most of time and his contribution was limited, bar the obvious.

He is very effective, does plenty linking up and him and McGinn work fine together. Seems to attract criticism for some reason , bar a couple of misplaced passes when he tried to be expansive (not his role) I felt he did well as usual. An unsung hero which every good team needs.