Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

shull

39 minutes ago, insaintee said:

That was a really important game for the sheep. This is their only chance of silverware and the only other thing they are doing is keeping ahead of Sevco. A defeat here for them would have been disastrous.  For us it was a tough game and distraction from the league.  Jack chose to go head to head rather than try and contain which has certain benefits in that players do learn more from games like this then from sitting in. I expect a reaction. 

We have had games like this Dumbarton, Morton, Dundee United away,  we've always bounced back .   

No shame in losing to a team with McGinn, Christie, May etc

Taking the players to the Cinema, Bowling, etc next week before the Dunfemline match is a distraction.

Yeaterday was a very important Cup Tie on par with any League game.

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What should they be doing before a game........:blink:

Not the point I was making.

NNN above was saying the Aberdeen game was a distraction from the League. He was writing it off.

I was stating it wasnt and it was a very important cup tie.

Within reason, they can do whatever they like pre match.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Why did you mention it then?  :lol:

Did you overindulge yesterday ?

I mentioned it because  going to the Cinema is a distraction not a Scottish Cup Tie which he stated.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Aberdeen were stronger, in the tackles and ball winning, quicker in their moves and better than us in every dept. Yesterday was a good insight into how many better players we will need to recruit to be competitive in the top flight. It was an astonshing case of de ja vu, like Tom Hendrie's side when promoted, the whipping boys in the top flight that season.

second half, all though they only added one, we looked like an amateur side unable to pass, or play. Big changes required for a season in the  top flight.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out players will needed to be added if promoted ( Q ) Ross / Scott signings will be with one eye for the premiership. Here is the big thing here you have to first win the title. Aberdeen beat Hibs 4-1 recently now while all of us would have liked to have seen us make a good account of ourselves we did compete first half only let down by individual errors these things happen we move on and go for the league now. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

5 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

All the OTT stick Stelios is getting tells a lot about the lack of understanding of the game by some. Yes he had a shocker, however pretty sure it was his persistence on the edge of the box that lead to our goal, perhaps the only decent bit of play by the whole team yesterday?

its a funny old game!

Why?

He f**ked up twice, he played a major part in out goal?

What's hard to understand? :blink:

17 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

All the OTT stick Stelios is getting tells a lot about the lack of understanding of the game by some. Yes he had a shocker, however pretty sure it was his persistence on the edge of the box that lead to our goal, perhaps the only decent bit of play by the whole team yesterday?

its a funny old game!

He needs to learn the basics of defending as that is his role. Time will tell (hopefully) but he looked totally out his depth yesterday. His decision making is really poor, I hope he proves me wrong but everything I have seen of him suggests he's at the maximum of his abilities in our current division. I'd be extremely surprised if a fit again Eckersley doesn't replace him from Friday.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

We really do OTT sometimes. 12 months ago we were facing the third tier of Scottish Football. Now same folk are complaining we didn't beat Aberdeen - the second best team in Scotland; a team that is full of Internationalists; a team that regularly plays European football; a team full of experienced pros; a team that beat Hibs, another top six team,  by the same same scoreline only a month ago.

If we were in mid-table Jack would have fielded a different team and formation IMO. But before the game he said that the guys who had been playing well recently deserved the chance to play against Aberdeen. Our young team should have learned a lot from yesterday's encounter and hopefully the result will push them on for a second chance against the Dons in League business next year.

I don’t see anyone complaining that we didn’t beat Aberdeen.

I see a lot of people complaining that we were utter shite, which in my book is fair comment. 

48 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Why?

He f**ked up twice, he played a major part in out goal?

What's hard to understand? :blink:

He along with the majority of the team were rank yesterday. Should they all be sacked as some of them wouldnt even make tackles (McShane etc)?

we are a good championship team, the reality is though three premiership teams have horsed us this season (County, Thistle, Dons) understand that, and you will conclude most of our squad wont cut it in the premiership.

36 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:
56 minutes ago, shull said:
Did you overindulge yesterday ?
I mentioned it because  going to the Cinema is a distraction not a Scottish Cup Tie which he stated.

You mentioned it because you love the sound of your own voice and are obsessed with your own self importance! Tit.

Round up the Posse, Shull is posting. :lol:

39 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

He needs to learn the basics of defending as that is his role. Time will tell (hopefully) but he looked totally out his depth yesterday. His decision making is really poor, I hope he proves me wrong but everything I have seen of him suggests he's at the maximum of his abilities in our current division. I'd be extremely surprised if a fit again Eckersley doesn't replace him from Friday.

Stelios is a winger, filling in at full back and yes as soon as Eckersley is fit he'll replace him there. Played as a winger he would/will be a decent member of the squad in the premiership.

37 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

You mentioned it because you love the sound of your own voice and are obsessed with your own self importance! Tit.

An incredible post, with the usual abuse thrown in. :lol:

58 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out players will needed to be added if promoted ( Q ) Ross / Scott signings will be with one eye for the premiership. Here is the big thing here you have to first win the title. Aberdeen beat Hibs 4-1 recently now while all of us would have liked to have seen us make a good account of ourselves we did compete first half only let down by individual errors these things happen we move on and go for the league now. 

Have to disagree about "competing' in the first half, Aberdeen moved it quickly, they were stronger in All the challenges and should have been further ahead. I think its fortunate they werent firing on all cylinders or we might have got a real doing!

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Stelios is a winger, filling in at full back and yes as soon as Eckersley is fit he'll replace him there. Played as a winger he would/will be a decent member of the squad in the premiership.

When Stelios was played further up it didn't work. He tended to wait till the ball was past him before he moved. In my opinion he's a wingback whose defending is suspect. Like many wingbacks. At our current level you get away with that more than not.  If Ecks comes back in Stelios won't play at all. He'll be back on the bench.

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Have to disagree about "competing' in the first half, Aberdeen moved it quickly, they were stronger in All the challenges and should have been further ahead. I think its fortunate they werent firing on all cylinders or we might have got a real doing!

Of course Aberdeen have better players but for me thought we competed in the first half unfortunately second half was a real bummer. Hill looks to be a cracking signing. 

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Of course Aberdeen have better players but for me thought we competed in the first half unfortunately second half was a real bummer. Hill looks to be a cracking signing. 

Hill might well be, get a better idea on Friday if he plays. Personally i think Ross might have come to the conclusion that McShane isnt worth starting as the negatives in his game outweigh the positives. When was the last time we scored from a set piece?

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

We lost 5-0 to the jags in the league cup and it had absolutely no bearing on our league form that’s taken us 8 points clear more than half way through the season. We can worry about competing with the second best team in the country, if and when we get promoted. The gulf in standard is something that Jack Ross will use as a measure of where we want to be if we achieve what we set out to do by gaining promotion.

Give me a league title party over a cup win any time.

2 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Sensitive wee soul!
Big hug.
Tit.

Not sensitive or annoyed at all.

Just laughing at you being jaked on a Sunday lunchtime :lol:

And you and others totally obsessed with Forum postings :wub: :byebye

We almost matched Aberdeen in a number of areas in terms of individual skill.  In terms of strength, pace, speed of reaction, physical size, movement of and off the ball and concentration we were miles behind, that led to a loss of heart.  That worries me for next year as I don't see where the resources to close the gap on top 4 or top 6 sides will come from.

My advice to my fellow buds, enjoy this campaign, I believe it is ours to win and it will be a great memory for you.  Next year, if promoted, is likely to be brutal.  we will be slugging it out with the likes of Accies, Dundee, County and all the other perrenial relegation zone sluggers.

37 minutes ago, shull said:

Not sensitive or annoyed at all.

Just laughing at you being jaked on a Sunday lunchtime :lol:

And you and others totally obsessed with Forum postings :wub: :byebye

I feel I need to apologise  on behalf of Buddie in EK.  if he had an issue with what you posted then he should have only adressed the points you made.

What he did do, it seems to me, was to show his frustration and react to the incessant and purile pish-tsunami that you unleash on the forum on a near minute-by-minute basis.  He tried to put your posting behaviour down to attention-seeking.  that was wrong and I don't know how he could do that without professional assistance.  In fact I don't think anyone, even a fully qualified team of psycho-analysts, could adequately explain the pish-stream of limited consciousness nonsense that you generate.  You must feel very aggrieved.

I hope you can see how i stood up for you there.  No need for thanks.

Edited by beyond our ken

4 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

I feel I need to apologise  on behalf of Bud the Baker.  if he had an issue with what you posted then he should have only adressed the points you made.

What he did do, it seems to me, was to show his frustration and react to the incessant and purile pish-tsunami that you unleash on the forum on a near minute-by-minute basis.  He tried to put your posting behaviour down to attention-seeking.  that was wrong and I don't know how he could do that without professional assistance.  In fact I don't think anyone, even a fully qualified team of psycho-analysts, could adequately explain the pish-stream of limited consciousness nonsense that you generate.  You must feel very aggrieved.

I hope you can see how i stood up for you there.  No need for thanks.

Thanks anyway.

I am absolutely fine and comfortable with my excellent content.

Surprised it rattles a few, and delighted. :clapping

WHAT'S THE GREAT BUD THE BAKER GOT TO DO WITH IT THOUGH  ?