Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

shull

2 hours ago, shull said:

Taking the players to the Cinema, Bowling, etc next week before the Dunfemline match is a distraction.

Yeaterday was a very important Cup Tie on par with any League game.

No, no it wasn't .  There's no open top bus for beating Aberdeen or taking them to a replay, there is for winning the league

1 minute ago, insaintee said:

No, no it wasn't .  There's no open top bus for beating Aberdeen or taking them to a replay, there is for winning the league

See what you startit, you've got the obsessed getting intae me now. :lol:

Anyway, winning yesterday was a means to an end which could have been a Cup Final victory and an Open Top Bus Parade to celebrate a League & Cup double. 

Now wind yir fecking neck in.

OOPS, Fecking Sorry  :lol:

12 minutes ago, shull said:

See what you startit, you've got the obsessed getting intae me now. :lol:

Anyway, winning yesterday was a means to an end which could have been a Cup Final victory and an Open Top Bus Parade to celebrate a League & Cup double. 

Now wind yir fecking neck in.

OOPS, Fecking Sorry  :lol:

But I love you, and that 's all that really matters.:heart

On a bus somewhere North of Dundee reading the forum. Feck you folks are hard to please. Ok it wasn't the best performance against a team no one outside our fan base expected us to win but we can't win them all. We might not have a premier ready team but trust in Jack.

We do however have a premier ready support. Not sure what you heard on TV but the atmosphere was great and the north bank had a great time. Non stop singing and fecking sore arms for Josh the drummer I think. I hear the Guinness book of records have just confirmed the longest rendition of the Cammy Cammy song.

Cheer up folks. We're on our way

Well done the 600

1234..........[emoji445] .....see you all Friday night

15 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

Do we really want to be playing in the SPL when we perform like this?

And no in the second half - we were not saving ourselves for the challenge ahead in the Championship - we were just rank rotten.

This was a chance today to compare how we would fare in the SPL - and we got our answer.

No "ifs" and "buts" - we are not nearly ready to step up based on today's performance.

We're not in the premiership. I don't think Ross is daft enough to think that all the players at the club right now are capable of making the step up. Right now we have a squad good enough to win the championship...once we win that Ross will no doubt want 5/6 players during the summer. Until then we accept that we weren't good enough to beat Aberdeen and move on to the remaining league games.

We really do OTT sometimes. 12 months ago we were facing the third tier of Scottish Football. Now same folk are complaining we didn't beat Aberdeen - the second best team in Scotland; a team that is full of Internationalists; a team that regularly plays European football; a team full of experienced pros; a team that beat Hibs, another top six team,  by the same same scoreline only a month ago.
If we were in mid-table Jack would have fielded a different team and formation IMO. But before the game he said that the guys who had been playing well recently deserved the chance to play against Aberdeen. Our young team should have learned a lot from yesterday's encounter and hopefully the result will push them on for a second chance against the Dons in League business next year.

I think it was a really good learning curve for our young team yesterday too. The early goals really dented their confidence. The pitch was poor, leading to the ball bouncing and bobbling all over the shop, making it tricky to control and pass. I know it was the same for both teams, but our composure completely went, right through the team after the third goal. It wasn't just the young players that were nervous on the ball and the fiery pitch accentuated this. Davis, Cammy Smith and McGinn(to some extent) were the only players putting their foot on the ball.
The frustrating aspects for us all yesterday were that the goals we lost, barring the 4th screamer, were avoidable at any level. I honestly think, apart from the mistakes, that we matched them in the first half. If Morgan lifts his head and squares it to Reilly we're one up early doors and the crowd start turning on their 'rusty' team. They looked as poor as us at the back first half. Disappointing that the ref bottled sending Consindine off, although the game was over by that point.
Yes, they are a much better team than us, but I think on another day we could have given them a game. A lot of us are probably bumping our gums a bit because we are used to our team winning and we're disappointed that we were poor in front of a big tv audience.
As mentioned before, it was maybe a slight blessing yesterday that our young players didn't shine and a result would've put Jack's stock up even higher, making him more in demand when the next managerial vacancy comes up. His post match interview left us in no doubt that he'll have the team lifted for Friday's massive game.

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Why?

He f**ked up twice, he played a major part in out goal?

What's hard to understand? :blink:

Correct. He's a poor defender and nowhere near the quality of Eckersley. Its a total joke the way he's lorded cause he's a bit of a maverick. He's  a poor defender full stop. Reasonable going forward but thats  it. Eckersley every day of the week IMO. i'm not cremating him over his performance at Aberdeen. I just don't rate him over a long period of time.

We need Eckersley back in the side for the Dunfermline game. 

Edited by lenziebud

18 hours ago, TopCat said:

RE McGinn.. I’ve been suitably mystified into his transformation into some kind of midfield demigod by sections of our support this season.

During the week there, I seen a post on the Facebook page that was asking if he was the greatest St Mirren captain since Tony Fitz. Almost spat out the crunchy nut, wouldn’t even have him in my top 5.

If we do get promoted, I would hope we were looking at other options in that central midfield area. He’s great in the Championship but I’m not sure if he’s up to it at Premiership level, as his performance today and at Firhill showed us.

I suppose no one can touch Stevie Mallan for being a miles better midfielder than John McGinn and Kenny McLean...

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

He needs to learn the basics of defending as that is his role. Time will tell (hopefully) but he looked totally out his depth yesterday. His decision making is really poor, I hope he proves me wrong but everything I have seen of him suggests he's at the maximum of his abilities in our current division. I'd be extremely surprised if a fit again Eckersley doesn't replace him from Friday.

Jack said already , that Stellios is a maverick . .

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

He along with the majority of the team were rank yesterday. Should they all be sacked as some of them wouldnt even make tackles (McShane etc)?

we are a good championship team, the reality is though three premiership teams have horsed us this season (County, Thistle, Dons) understand that, and you will conclude most of our squad wont cut it in the premiership.

He made 2 individual errors directly leading to 2 goals...................who said anything about sacking anybody? 

Other players, seemingly not making tackles, isn't, I'm afraid, in the same bracket. 

It shows how far we have come in 12months,  when theres been so  many negative comments being posted after losing to Aberdeen the 2nd best team in the country.  sure it wasn't a great performance by the team. and a few individuals had stinkers,, but our club is moving in the right direction for the first time in years. and Rome wasn't built in a day.. so lets all get real guys..   And I would like to make a special mention to our young fans, who congregate in W7 having watched from the main stand at the inverness game, your a credit to the our club, keep up the fantastic support you give the team, you are great to watch, even when the teams not,,,  :thumbs2

I see Tony Fitz tweeted in support of the beleaguered Stelios this morning. Nice touch. Yes, he f**ked up, but he has been very good otherwise since his return, and was far from the only culpable party yesterday.
We were well beaten by a better team. I'm pretty sure that is often the way fitba works. Now let's get on with supporting our club.
He made 2 mistakes in the and got punished twice. But that apart he done pretty well. We know he does well going forward but needs to work on ho his defending.

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

The TV coverage focused on our support a good few times. They also mentioned a few times that Thommo was being sung at. And Willie Miller was also pleased that we have not forgotten him from the 80s.

Even the Aberdeen manager praised the St Mirren supporter, you all did us proud girls & boys. 

55 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

He made 2 individual errors directly leading to 2 goals...................who said anything about sacking anybody? 

Other players, seemingly not making tackles, isn't, I'm afraid, in the same bracket. 

Your right its much worse! If you take on the responsibility and make the tackle but it doesnt work out.. you can learn from it.

if you dont take on any responsibility by getting involved you are a wage thief!

I don't agree with the abuse Stelios got yesterday online from our own fans, but to say he only made 2 mistakes yesterday and got punished both times?  Before the penalty he lost his man and allowed a cross into the box, towards the end of the second half he seemed to give up any attempt to mark his man, how about when he broke into their box on the 2nd half was it deliberate that he ballooned his shot / cross over to the corner flag. He had a bad game and his head dropped, here's hoping he bounces back. Its been good to see him play well while Eckersley has been injured.

Do you honestly think if we had played County, Thistle or Dundee yesterday we would have been horsed???

I just don't see it, I honestly think this squad would be fine in lower half of premier league of course we would be in danger of relegation along with another 5 teams but definitely wouldn't be adrift at the bottom.

Looking at it another way would County, Thistle or Dundee be sitting

He along with the majority of the team were rank yesterday. Should they all be sacked as some of them wouldnt even make tackles (McShane etc)?
we are a good championship team, the reality is though three premiership teams have horsed us this season (County, Thistle, Dons) understand that, and you will conclude most of our squad wont cut it in the premiership.

Do you honestly think if we had played County, Thistle or Dundee yesterday we would have been horsed 4-1???

I just don't see it, I honestly think this squad would be fine in lower half of premier league of course we would be in danger of relegation along with another 3/4/5 teams but definitely wouldn't be adrift at the bottom.

Looking at it another way would County, Thistle or Dundee be sitting 8 points clear at the top of the league if they were in this season's championship???

Imo no they wouldn't they would probably be in top 4 but just don't think they would be 8 clear at the top.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Your right its much worse! If you take on the responsibility and make the tackle but it doesnt work out.. you can learn from it.

if you dont take on any responsibility by getting involved you are a wage thief!

While the game was littered by individual errors and some of our top performers were not at their best, to suggest anyone who plays for this St Mirren team just now is a wage thief makes you look a very very silly man indeed! :D