Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

shull

Aberdeen beat Hibs 4-1 last month at Pittodrie. Does that make Hibs as 'shite' as us?

Learning curve and move on.  And we had 4 players 21 or under and a 22 year old - great experience for these young guys up against experienced pros.

8 minutes ago, bender rodriguez said:

Were u happy with that insipid performance drew? U are one of the more sensible posters on here and I agree with most of what you say but that was pish today.

Of course I'm not happy, mate. Very poor today. We were well beaten by a significantly better team, but didn't help ourselves.

I posted earlier that I thought we defended very poorly today, and this was in response to someone suggesting it was a par for the course defensive performance. I don't agree, I thought it was uncharacteristically bad.

I'm not happy that we are out of the cup, especially in that manner, but we move on.  Not a great deal to be achieved by dwelling on it.

Edited by Drew

I don't think we can be overly critical of the team individual errors were very costly and also i prefer not to judge ourselves against Aberdeen's standards at this moment in time. We have a squad that are looking good to win the championship. Then, we should look to buying in a higher quality of defender in particular. I think the3 new boys Flynn, Mullen and Hill will need time to settle and i include Mullen in that because he's still new in my book.

I specifically said I am not passing judgement on Flynn never mentioned hill but I think whats bizarre is people on here raving about Mullen not seen nothing from him no where near whats required for premier league I hope to be proved wrong though.
I'm not one to get on players backs but I've really not seen much from him that makes me think he is going to pressure anyone for a starting position. Reminds me a lot of Lewis Mclear.

A lot of doom and gloom on here and I can understand the frustration.

For me. The first half was really quite even. The defence on both sides was poor and they capitalised  on it while we didn't. Morgan was unlucky with the lob over their keeper.

Second half was a total non event after the 4th went in. Aberdeen controlled that phase. 

What I would say was that, even though we definitely  didn't play well and Stelios had an absolute shocker, I don't think we'll need too much extra to compete in the top league should we get over the finish line.

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

Of course I'm not happy, mate. Very poor today. We were well beaten by a significantly better team, but didn't help ourselves.

I posted earlier that I thought we defended very poorly today, and this was in response to someone suggesting it was a par for the course defensive performance. I don't agree, I thought it was uncharacteristically bad.

I'm not happy that we are out of the cup, especially in the manner, but we move on.

I agree with most of what you say except that this was an uncharacteristic defensive display by us.

As stated by others, we have shipped loads of goals against SPL opposition in the recent past and against the likes of Dundermline and Morton in the Championship. In quite a few games in which we have either drawn or won, this was often partly down to poor finishing from the opposition - we are cut wide open far too easily despite our current league position.  I accept that there are signs that things are improving and I hope that this is the case.

Sadly, we often get at each others' throats on this forum, when someone states the obvious about our deficiencies, but I am sure Jack will address these as soon as practicable if he has not already done so.

The reason we are currently sitting top of the league is because of a combination of good organisation, team spirit and individual performances, but we will have to improve significantly to survive in the SPL if we go up at the end of this season.

We’re the best team in our league and put out an attacking line up every week.

Today we were away from home against a team that is significantly better than us. We should maybe have put out a more defensive line up?

Maybe Eckersley in central defence alongside Baird and Davis, with Smith our wide right and either Magennis dropping out or moving inside as the expense of McShane?

Limited support there was 595 of us.....

Don’t think you can fault the travelling Buddies. They out sang the home support and genuinely were excellent from watching on tv. Was more talking about the rest of the team. With limited opportunities he took his goal well, did a fair bit of closing down and held the ball up well at times.

I agree with others no need to be too down hearted they are the second best team in the country.

Also given where we are in the league championship winners comes miles ahead of being dejected about today’s performance. Back to winning ways next week and the feel good factor will return...

4 minutes ago, zico said:

We’re the best team in our league and put out an attacking line up every week.

Today we were away from home against a team that is significantly better than us. We should maybe have put out a more defensive line up?

Maybe Eckersley in central defence alongside Baird and Davis, with Smith our wide right and either Magennis dropping out or moving inside as the expense of McShane?

Maybe realising Stelios is a liability? 

We tested their defence in the first half but I suoppose they got the measure of us and our defence wasn't up to the standard for the quality of players they have . However , we move on and focus on winning the League . We were outclassed by a superior team and we were not at our best . It sounds like our fans had a great time at the game despite the result . .

Good learning curve for Jack and James . .

In Jack we trust. .

Stelios cost us 2 goals but Eckersly wasn't fit so we had no choice. There is no doubt Eckersley is a better defender and he'll be back in once he's ready. I'm glad we didn't risk him in this game i'd rather have him for the title winning run in, he's far more reliable.

Of the 10 outfield starters , for me,  only Davis , Magennis ,  C Smith and Reilly get pass marks . Both full backs were poor , big Baird was getting pulled all over the place . We also saw that the worries about McGinn and McShane's defensive capabilities when under pressure are justified. Unusually for Morgan , apart from a couple of flashes , he was anonymous. Pretty sure that a good few in the team will never smell the Premiership , even if we get there this season !

5 minutes ago, billyg said:

Of the 10 outfield starters , for me,  only Davis , Magennis ,  C Smith and Reilly get pass marks . Both full backs were poor , big Baird was getting pulled all over the place . We also saw that the worries about McGinn and McShane's defensive capabilities when under pressure are justified. Unusually for Morgan , apart from a couple of flashes , he was anonymous. Pretty sure that a good few in the team will never smell the Premiership , even if we get there this season !

What would you expect from Baird when both full backs (who cost us 2 goals each) and the midfield who you acknowledge were woeful in front and either side of him?

Also playing against Rooney and Rooney only got 1 goal from the penalty spot - which was Stelios's fault..

I really rate Rooney - If we get 1 like him for next season that would be amazing... Baird played well considering how others played - he did not let us down...

Agree with the rest of what you say though....

Spot on Billy. As much as I like McGinn and McShane going 4ward. their defending and tracking other teams midfielders been poor all season. including the Dundee pre season game we have lost 12 goals against spl teams. That tells anybody all they need to know about our defence and defensive midfielders.    

26 minutes ago, billyg said:

We will get there Billy but you are right we'll need half a team to compete. Having said that this team is good enough to win this league and i'm still hoping for 1 more signing, hopefully a big striker.

Don’t think you can fault the travelling Buddies. They out sang the home support and genuinely were excellent from watching on tv. Was more talking about the rest of the team. With limited opportunities he took his goal well, did a fair bit of closing down and held the ball up well at times.

I agree with others no need to be too down hearted they are the second best team in the country.

Also given where we are in the league championship winners comes miles ahead of being dejected about today’s performance. Back to winning ways next week and the feel good factor will return...
Sorry mate I was being facetious. The support were great today I did understand you were talking about other players. [emoji6]

18 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Spot on Billy. As much as I like McGinn and McShane going 4ward. their defending and tracking other teams midfielders been poor all season. including the Dundee pre season game we have lost 12 goals against spl teams. That tells anybody all they need to know about our defence and defensive midfielders.    

Flynn on the right and Magennis replacing McShane. Hill putting pressure on McGinn's place and the absolute key one of Stelios on the bench and Eckersley back at left back. That should set us up nicely for the run-in

34 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Think we also got beat five nil by Ross County in a pre season friendly , hence my concerns about going up via the play offs . We did have a decent enough first half , and we were up against a team that had a few decent players in it . We did defend poorly , hopefully we will be ready for Friday night

Midfield deficiencies are affecting us more than in any other area of the park (although today's match was lost due to defensive deficiencies ).

Despite all the talk/debate about whether we should be strengthening either  in defence or attack, we are not going to compete successfully at a higher level until we learn to take control of (or compete in) the midfield.

Hopefully the signings of Flynn and Hill will help to address this particular failing.

So long as today's performance does not impact negatively on our more immediate challenge - winning the Championship.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Maybe realising Stelios is a liability? 

Don't think that you will get much argument that defensively then Eckersley is the better defender. Stellious is perhaps better going forward. Jack's call based in fitness and game plan. No one can plan for unforced errors however. Stellious will remain a key player in the squad IMO