Aberdeen v St Mirren Bet Fred Cup

shull

4 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

Another one thinking a 19 year old player who you have never seen play and had 14 minutes today is the man for you!!! Really don't get it!

No sorry read again 1/  Miss a ball winner, hard tackling midfielder.  2/ hill ( could be that man ) 

Some of the mince being posted on here tonight is laughable.

We've won nothing yet folk are fretting about us being miles away from being a top 6 side. Players getting slated on the basis of a below par performance against the second best team in the country. Players who have just joined the club getting judged after minimal game time in a match that was already lost.

Dearie me:rolleyes:

53 minutes ago, Drew said:

Some of the mince being posted on here tonight is laughable.

We've won nothing yet folk are fretting about us being miles away from being a top 6 side. Players getting slated on the basis of a below par performance against the second best team in the country. Players who have just joined the club getting judged after minimal game time in a match that was already lost.

Dearie me:rolleyes:

Yes - we are all hurting and some have gone over the score with their criticism.

However, it's not just on here that you find that meaty delicacy. Some have argued (quite rightly IMO) that we did ok in the first half but we were 3-1 down at half time and it could/should have been 6-1 at full time. We just did not turn up for the second half.

Our defensive frailties have been obvious for most of this season (and certainly last season) although there were recent signs that that weakness had been dealt with successfully. And most people recognise that we will have to do better in the middle of the park where we often, like today's game, get over-run.

Hopefully there will not be an adverse reaction for the rest of the season and that JR/JF will be able to get the players re-focussed on winning the Championship.

A big overreaction on here.

We competed in the 1st half without playing as well as we can.

We were maybe fortunate Aberdeen were a bit rusty themselves. If they had played well it might have been more even at half time.

Individual errors cost us more than anything but then that’s 1 example of a difference in quality so you can’t just ignore that.

Their 3rd goal was what really ended the game and the 4th so early in the 2nd half completely kills it as a game. I wouldn’t read too much into anything from that point forward for either team.

We are a first division team so I’m not sure why people expect us to be on a par with Aberdeen and that’s how some of the posts read.

Some of the individual criticism is over the top and unnecessary. If we do go up we’d need to add 3-4 premiership quality to players to even compete with the bottom 6 teams. That’s stating the obvious though because it’s the same for 99% of teams promoted into a better league and why would we be any different? Any reference or comparison to Aberdeen or the top 6 in general is a bit pointless and irrelevant.

Well, overall, a great day out up in Aberdeen.

Me and 5 Aberdeen supporters, a couple thought it could be a tight game, the rest thought it would be a walk in the park, they were right.

I thought, really, we could give them a game, probably a draw at best but at least a tight game.

The early penalty soon put paid to that.

Schoolboy stuff from Stelios, not a real surprise as he's got this in his locker IMO.

They were a tad lucky in the 2nd goal, a blind cut back that could have went to any player, unfortunately, one of theirs.

Stelios, is shouldn't be forgotten, played a major part in our goal, and excellent reaction from Reilly and we were back in it.

Unfortunately Stelios was back to his worst with a header that was hard to fathom and I thought at that point it was game over.

The lob that hit the side netting could have got us back in but unluckily it wasn't to be.

Their 4th goal was a cracker, and it was just a case of hoping they eased off as a real gubbing wouldn't have done us any good.

As usual much knickerwetting on here, Aberdeen are a decent team, we are, at our level, a decent team.

It's perfectly fair to point out that individual errors really cost us, but keep things in perspective.

I'm sure Ross knows our strengths and weakness's but, without unlimited resources, he can only do what he can.

This idea we're not ready for the top league based on getting beat away against the 2nd best team is ludicrous.

I'm more than confident we could cope, even right now, with many of the bottom 6 teams and, all things going well, even more so next season.

Anyway, Aberdeens hospitality was quality from beginning to end.

Roll on next season, we'll pump them and my 5 hosts will be greeting in their beer/vodka/champagne. 

Me and 5 Aberdeen supporters, a couple thought it could be a tight game, the rest thought it would be a walk in the park, they were right.
I thought, really, we could give them a game, probably a draw at best but at least a tight game.
Schoolboy stuff from Stelios, not a real surprise as he's got this in his locker IMO.
They were a tad lucky in the 2nd goal, a blind cut back that could have went to any player, unfortunately, one of theirs.
Stelios, is shouldn't be forgotten, played a major part in our goal, and excellent reaction from Reilly and we were back in it.
Unfortunately Stelios was back to his worst with a header that was hard to fathom and I thought at that point it was game over.
The lob that hit the side netting could have got us back in but unluckily it wasn't to be.
Their 4th goal was a cracker, and it was just a case of hoping they eased off as a real gubbing wouldn't have done us any good.
As usual much knickerwetting on here, Aberdeen are a decent team, we are, at our level, a decent team.
It's perfectly fair to point out that individual errors really cost us, but keep things in perspective.
I'm sure Ross knows our strengths and weakness's but, without unlimited resources, he can only do what he can.
This idea we're not ready for the top league based on getting beat away against the 2nd best team is ludicrous.
I'm more than confident we could cope, even right now, with many of the bottom 6 teams and, all things going well, even more so next season.
Roll on next season, we'll pump them and my 5 hosts will be greeting in their beer/vodka/champagne. 

They must save all the catering skills for the prawn Sandwich brigade as their hospitality to us was rubbish...[emoji6]

14 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

If we had played a lot better we would have won the game.

I know you’re being facetious but in the sense that Aberdeen were garbage and were horrendously below our best, there’s a bit of truth in it. If we had played anything like our best, Aberdeen were there for the taking. 

24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Christ, what a Novel.

But a good one though.

Don't think Ross showed Aberdeen the respect they required. Went balls out away against the second best team in the country. Treated it exactly like the"free hit" many suggested it was which suited them down to the ground. If progression was really the objective we needed to keep it tight and sneak one but that clearly was never the game plan. Defence was a shambles and the ball retention in midfield non existent. It reminded me a lot if a Tom Hendrie approach which we all know simply doesn't work at that level on our budget. Back to normal business on Friday night but plenty for management to ponder if we do achieve our aim of promotion.

14 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The quality of today's Aberdeen team:

1. Joe Lewis (England U21 goalkeeper and called into the full England squad for friendly internationals)

2. Shay Logan - had 3 games in the EPL with Manchester City having come through their youth academy

3. Graeme Shinnie (Scotland U21 player and called into the full Scotland set up on 3 occasions)

4. Andy Considine (Scotland U21 player)

5. Anthony O'Connor (Republic of Ireland U21 player)

6. Mark Reynolds (Scotland U21, Scotland B, and called up into the full squad on a few occasions)

7. Kenny McLean (Scotland U21, and a couple of Scotland caps, could be sold for £500k in this window)

8. Greg Stewart (on loan from Birmingham City who paid £500k with add ons to sign him from Dundee)

9. Adam Rooney (Republic of Ireland and one of the top scorers in the SPL)

10. Gary Mackay-Steven (full Scotland international)

11. Ryan Christie (on loan from Celtic, Scotland U21 player and called into the full squad)

12. Niall McGinn (Republic of Ireland internationalist) - subsitute

13. Stevie May (full Scotland internationalist) - substitute

all played against us today and Mackay-Steven, Christie, Shinnie and McLean all had good games.

:lol:

Some proper barrel scraping going on there.

I think my personal favourites are GMS being referred to as a Scotland international after his one 6 minute appearance 5 years ago and Mark Reynolds/Andy Considine (both 30 years old) being referred to as Scotland U21 players. I reckon we’d have won yesterday if we’d had Shuggie Murray, Sergei Baltacha and Barry Lavety playing for us. Oh no, wait a minute, we had 3 ACTUAL Scotland U21 players playing for us yesterday. I guess using your barometer I can add Sammy to that list. 

Aberdeen were rubbish yesterday. We were just worse. That’s all. 

ETA we had 7 under 21 internationals playing for us yesterday.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Aberdeen were stronger, in the tackles and ball winning, quicker in their moves and better than us in every dept. Yesterday was a good insight into how many better players we will need to recruit to be competitive in the top flight. It was an astonshing case of de ja vu, like Tom Hendrie's side when promoted, the whipping boys in the top flight that season.

second half, all though they only added one, we looked like an amateur side unable to pass, or play. Big changes required for a season in the  top flight.

59 minutes ago, shull said:

Christ, what a Novel.

But a good one though.

Yes, it was. Only issue I would disagree with is that I don't think their second was a "tad lucky."  Our midfield, in particular, McGinn (Yes. I know. Captain Fantastic. Shockarooney), and to a lesser extent, McShane, switched off. They were jogging back, ball watching, while Christie and Rooney(?) sprinted away from them into the box as if they were expecting the cut back (GMS also cut the ball back from the by-line into the same position in the box a few times during the game so clearly a tactic - an elementary one, to be fair). This kind of thing has happened a few times during our league games. We really need to be more aware of and focused on opposition runs off the ball.  Christie's awareness and mobility was also in evidence in their third.

Signed - still gutted. 

Edited by Westmarcher

That was a really important game for the sheep. This is their only chance of silverware and the only other thing they are doing is keeping ahead of Sevco. A defeat here for them would have been disastrous.  For us it was a tough game and distraction from the league.  Jack chose to go head to head rather than try and contain which has certain benefits in that players do learn more from games like this then from sitting in. I expect a reaction. 

We have had games like this Dumbarton, Morton, Dundee United away,  we've always bounced back .   

No shame in losing to a team with McGinn, Christie, May etc

I see Tony Fitz tweeted in support of the beleaguered Stelios this morning. Nice touch. Yes, he f**ked up, but he has been very good otherwise since his return, and was far from the only culpable party yesterday.

We were well beaten by a better team. I'm pretty sure that is often the way fitba works. Now let's get on with supporting our club.

We really do OTT sometimes. 12 months ago we were facing the third tier of Scottish Football. Now same folk are complaining we didn't beat Aberdeen - the second best team in Scotland; a team that is full of Internationalists; a team that regularly plays European football; a team full of experienced pros; a team that beat Hibs, another top six team,  by the same same scoreline only a month ago.

If we were in mid-table Jack would have fielded a different team and formation IMO. But before the game he said that the guys who had been playing well recently deserved the chance to play against Aberdeen. Our young team should have learned a lot from yesterday's encounter and hopefully the result will push them on for a second chance against the Dons in League business next year.