W7 Fans & Banners

Ronnie

13 minutes ago, Undertaker said:

We are a Family Club and those in charge just don't want Neds ruining it.

The Banner was not needed.

Try be Men , hold your hands up and apologise to all concerned.

I know who is required here

QQdUb.jpg

Any Midori? 

For the record if you’d ever been in W7, you’d know it’s far from what you’re trying to paint us as. All ages, all genders. You’re getting a wee bit close to the insulting rule now :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Doakes said:

I know who is required here

QQdUb.jpg

Any Midori? 

For the record if you’d ever been in W7, you’d know it’s far from what you’re trying to paint us as. All ages, all genders. You’re getting a wee bit close to the insulting rule now :lol: 

FFS, gentlemen, give it a rest.

Circles again, it seems pretty clear of the error and possible solution.

Keep banging it about is only post counting...................oh wait. 

TBH It's not the end of the world any way this goes. 

Think we all agree on three things

1 The banner was unacceptable

2 The club had every right and probably a responsibility under SPFL rules to react

3 The season long ban was an over reaction

Perhaps a message from the fans as above will covince the board to reconsider the penalty

An online petition to the board asking for a review while clearly stating the above might be better than gnashing of teeth wringing of hands and boycotts

5 hours ago, Danny said:

2 The club had every right and probably a responsibility under SPFL rules to react

Perhaps a message from the fans as above will covince the board to reconsider the penalty

An online petition to the board asking for a review while clearly stating the above might be better than gnashing of teeth wringing of hands and boycotts

I disagree with No, 3.

8 hours ago, Danny said:

Spot on.

Point 3 could possibly and I imagine will be overturned and brought down in terms on length of ban. I think with the amount of online publicity it has generated including taking over the promotion of half-season tickets on social media, there will be a reaction soon. 

Boycotts are no use and achieve nothing. Especially when the players need us more than ever whilst we try and climb back to the top of the league. Show your support with your noise from your mouth and hands on a matchday with or without the banners/flags till this things resolves itself.

This has all got rather silly, and there’s no need for some to be rude..

Last post I’ll be making on here until the club respond

A-  Regarding the rules, which seem to have been plucked from thin air as we had never seen them - the definition of “insulting” needs to be established. Does insulting mean you’re not allowed any parody or “banter” at a derby match anymore? 

B- As we said when we first put this out, we feel the ban is disproportionate and unfair, and needs to be looked at and addressed

C- To the forum users referring to us as “neds” and “silly wee boys”, that’s just rude and uncalled for. All we’ve asked for is to be treated fairly

Guest TPAFKATS

I don't think the banner was unacceptable.

5 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I don't think the banner was unacceptable.

I didn't either, but I did think it may be pushing the buttons of those who love nothing more than to be outraged by just about everything, and as such was half expecting a reaction such as this.

A slap on the wrist and a " Lets not do it again" chat with the W7 guys would have been appropriate IMO.

39 minutes ago, Doakes said:

This has all got rather silly, and there’s no need for some to be rude..

Last post I’ll be making on here until the club respond

A-  Regarding the rules, which seem to have been plucked from thin air as we had never seen them - the definition of “insulting” needs to be established. Does insulting mean you’re not allowed any parody or “banter” at a derby match anymore? 

B- As we said when we first put this out, we feel the ban is disproportionate and unfair, and needs to be looked at and addressed

C- To the forum users referring to us as “neds” and “silly wee boys”, that’s just rude and uncalled for. All we’ve asked for is to be treated fairly

A. The 'display of offensive material' is listed in a couple of Club Policies to be found on the Official Club website  ( https://www.stmirren.com/club/about-st-mirren/club-policies )  and are similar to policies held by other Clubs. I only checked Falkirk and Dunfermline which have the same policies as I suspect every Club must have. The thing is it is the Club that would pay the penalty by the SPFL and Police Scotland by a breaking of the policies so it is the Club that rightly decides what is acceptable and not supporters. It is easy to have an opinion without the responsibility.

B. You admit yourself that you were probably crossing the line but continued to do so therefore there was intent so you can hardly blame the Club for pulling you up about it. The non-display of banners for a few months  is not much of a punishment. Banners have to be 'owned' by individuals as far as I can see from the Club policies so the 'owner' could have been banned from the stadium for breaching the rules. An apology would go a long way to defusing the situation or do not you not accept any responsibility?

C. Agree that personal comments are not necessary however 'treated fairly' is subjective. I would like to think an apology, some remorse and non-threatening communication may reduce your sentence. Try and see it from the Club's perspective as well as your own.

Guest TPAFKATS

We're back into the definition of what's offensive again.
If the banner was offensive then surely police Scotland would've been 'chapping' doors in the days after the game, or at least nabbing the owner of the banner after the game and quoting the OBFA.

It was edgy and I at least found it funny. The best humour often is edgy.

I'm not getting how it's offensive to call Morton fans Greenock Scum in the context of a game where they are singing about us living in Paisley slums and raking through dustbins.

They call us skunks, we call them soapdodgers.
Meh

Offence is always taken, never given.

18 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

We're back into the definition of what's offensive again.
If the banner was offensive then surely police Scotland would've been 'chapping' doors in the days after the game, or at least nabbing the owner of the banner after the game and quoting the OBFA.

It was edgy and I at least found it funny. The best humour often is edgy.

I'm not getting how it's offensive to call Morton fans Greenock Scum in the context of a game where they are singing about us living in Paisley slums and raking through dustbins.

They call us skunks, we call them soapdodgers.
Meh

Offence is always taken, never given.

Good example here . No offence was taken .

image.jpeg

Edited by munoz

Whether it’s seen as petty or not, this is most certainly an unwelcome distraction from our drive to win this division.

success is built on cohesion in all parts of a club. It’s no accident that successful managers and players mention the importance of having the supporters totally behind them, which we have had from the day that Jack took over. To divide support at this crucial time would be a shame after the hard work that’s gone into getting everyone behind the team and their support being acknowledged by the club.

The SLO could have initiated a meeting with a representation from the group responsible and gave them the opportunity to make amends hence maintaining the inclusivity which up until now has been a joy to watch as it grows into a passionate force helping us to win games.

Surely if the banner is deemed unacceptable and offensive, then just about every instruction bellowed by our management team from the bench is a more severe breach as they are serial offenders. Should Fowler & Ross be banned? One of them went into the stands last season to 'av it' with his detractors, if it was a fan invading the pitch then its an automatic lifetime ban.

the club have made a rip roaring c**t of themselves... again.

On 11/21/2017 at 7:19 PM, Doakes said:

Just to reply to some of the above

We’ve never been warned since we started the section. In fact all feedback has been positive. Even from JR and the players.

We knew the banner was gonna be on the line of what was acceptable - but was only meant as being a bit cheeky - drawing attention to how long it was since they last won a cup!

There was no backlash from Morton fans, so can’t imagine they were too offended. In fact had a few of them backing us up on twitter. They had one a few seasons back with Tesselaar’s “shitehole” headline..

We hold our hands up that the banner was a wee bit on the line - and would accept a slap on the wrist or a few games flag ban. But till the end of the season? Don’t think it was that bad. 

So you were willing to accept punishment in advance?  But only the kind of punishment that YOU think is fair? 

According to another poster, a few individuals chose to exclude the usual contributors.  Perhaps those involved could offer their names to the club and accept a stadium ban or exclusion from the singing section to allow the others to enjoy their hobby.

The club has a duty to ensure that the atmosphere inside the ground is healthy as defined in modern attitudes.  Calling people scum using a facility granted by the club was indeed pushing it.  It might be tame by the standards of days gone by, but is outwith current acceptable limits.

Did you think about displaying such a banner at Cappielow?

Given an inch and you took a mile, 

15 hours ago, Doakes said:

From reading those rules, the only area it could potentially fall under is insulting, depending on your definition. As we’ve said, it is borderline. We actually went and asked on the Morton fans page on Facebook if anyone was insulted - no one said they were.  

Think the only ones “insulted” are our a small minority of our own fans. 

We would know if the SPFL or Morton had complained. 

If this is the worst you get in 2017, you’re right in your assessment that things have improved. But if you want an environment where even banter becomes unacceptable, the atmosphere in fitba grounds will go rapidly downhill. Have a look at the PL down south. Soulless. 

^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^

It's not even necessarily about insults or offence. To me it's all just a little bit......low brow really. A bit low class.

As "banter" goes it's not even funny and it isn't clever either. It's just low class and cringey.

I wonder why people even went to the bother of making something so dull in every aspect.

If people are going to do stuff like this, at least TRY to make it funny or clever.

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, BaldyOzBud said:

I didn't either, but I did think it may be pushing the buttons of those who love nothing more than to be outraged by just about everything, and as such was half expecting a reaction such as this.

A slap on the wrist and a " Lets not do it again" chat with the W7 guys would have been appropriate IMO.

You're assuming thst those charged with running the club have the extra time to devote to resolving the issue.  The club probably don't view this as a punishment, more as the removal of a problem.

I would ask the question, did the banner crew offer or were they asked for an undertaking not to offend when they got their area allocated?

IMO just when the club and the fans were all together. singing off the same hymn sheet if you like. this has the potential to be a us and them attitude again. Think the club should think again about this and maybe a representative from W7 should have a chat with Fitzy. I love the atmosphere at home games at the moment and even when my cousins were over from Canada they loved it too. Would such a shame to lose it. Powers at be please think again

I'll ask a question on this, and if covered elsewhere apologies, but if the banner was deemed to be categorised as offensive then why didn't the club instruct the fans, or stewards to instruct them, to remove it there and then? Additionally if the stewards are to do their job surely they need to know what is acceptable or not and have to be empowered to act upon it?

For me the banner is not near unacceptable, for if we were to apply logic saying it is offensive then several of the songs and chants about our erstwhile pungent neighbours need clarity from the club before many are ejected during games too. If the club felt this was too close to unacceptable then a quiet word would have sufficed, we have to have the ability to poke fun at our rivals, as they do us, else it is just another game in the calendar.

17 hours ago, Doakes said:

So how do we get off with posting pictures of a morton mascot being hanged in an official club magazine? I could name various other times we’ve had a joke about our rivals in an “official” capacity 

The double standards are ridiculous. If we’re gonna adopt a dictators approach to our ground and the rules, even when it comes to a derby, the game really is over

I agree about double standards here. Going back a long way to the late nineties granted, but i can remember the clubs own mascot the Paisley panda standing in front of the Morton fans and pretending to wash under its arms as if it was showering. While this was hilarious, some might deem it offensive. Personally i still chuckle to myself when i picture it in my mind all these years on :D.