St Mirren V Dumbarton 02/12/2017

Mr Zo

Poorest we have played all season. Did not look up for it straight from kick-off - no urgency whatsoever.

My first gripe was the 3 behind Reilly. Stelios started on the right, Morgan left and Magennis playing behind Reilly. 10 mins later Stelios was on the left Magennis on the right and Morgan playing central - did the players decide that or was it Jack's plan? Whatever it was it did not work. With Cammy out it should have been a straight swap and not a complete re-shuffle especially with Morgan moving inside.

Second gripe was Stelios's ludicrous assault. Middle of the park, nothing happening and he crashes an elbow into the defender with the ref only 10 yards away. Game gone at that point. Very disappointing afternoon.

9 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Poorest we have played all season. Did not look up for it straight from kick-off - no urgency whatsoever.

My first gripe was the 3 behind Reilly. Stelios started on the right, Morgan left and Magennis playing behind Reilly. 10 mins later Stelios was on the left Magennis on the right and Morgan playing central - did the players decide that or was it Jack's plan? Whatever it was it did not work. With Cammy out it should have been a straight swap and not a complete re-shuffle especially with Morgan moving inside.

Second gripe was Stelios's ludicrous assault. Middle of the park, nothing happening and he crashes an elbow into the defender with the ref only 10 yards away. Game gone at that point. Very disappointing afternoon.

Kyle was moved at least 5 or 6 times today on the instruction of our management team, he ended up just looking lost. 

Stelios is honking in any midfield role so why he was picked today in front of Sutton, Kirkpatrick etc is a question only the manager knows. 

We lost. Dumbarton deserved to win. They started better. We came into it. Stellios was,rightly, sent off. No running beyond the ball. High balls to Reilly from back to front didn't work. Various tactical changes still left us chasing the game. Morgan was well watched. This left space for Smith which we worked in later in the game. One of those days. My pre'match thoughts were that we needed to keep a clean sheet to take anything from this game.

53 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Buddies Singing Section Rattled By Sons Tambourine Player

Abject abysmal-ness today! 0 shots on target at home to Dumbarton. Wonder if BuddieVision will ask Jack Ross about a below par performance from W7 today which saw the tiny Dumbarton support out-sing them and drown them out via their adept use of a tambourine?

Our players looked tired today, unable to string passes together or cross anywhere near a St Mirren player when we did get forward, second to the 50/50s. I'm sure others will have commented on Stupid Stelios already - I was at the opposite side of the pitch and predicted a straight red and noticed that while Stelios was going ape complaining about the decision everyone in the West Stand sat firmly and silently in their seats and not one other St Mirren player complained to the referee. All occurring 2 minutes after one of his embarrassing dying swan routines.

Kyle Hutton and Stuart Carswell ran the show in midfield today and Tom Walsh was looking dangerous running at our defence long before he scored. 

I cannae hear or see W7 from W1.

Were they attending today ?

The Dumbarton 14 were outstanding.

The Singing Section will only work if they move to the South Stand.

Waste of time in W7

My thoughts from today. 

Stellios = idiot. Before the referee had reacted I said he’s off.  His honeymoon period is over, he has no discipline. I’d be surprised to see him start again for a long time. 

Samson needs to learn to catch/hold the ball. 

McGinn needs to move the ball on quicker, don’t invite the challenge and should have fouled their player in the build up to the goal. 

Squad needs strengthened in January. One player out and we can’t keep the same system. 

Frustrating day and could be costly come May. Even at 11 v 11 it looked like we were going to really struggle. 

Morgan won’t be going anywhere if he plays like that every week. Hopefully he can pick it up and find a bit more consistency like he had at the start of the season. 

Still have faith in Jack and the squad, need to bounce back next week with 3 points at Brechin. 

Hope the fan who was taken out the west stand by the first aid crew is ok. 

Edited by davidg

Have to put that one down to Jack. Lets replace a striker with a full back!  Stelios, McGennis and Morgon were all disjointed. I actually think we played better with ten men than with 11.  Eckersley was injured which is why Walsh got away from him, should have been subbed when he took a knock. 

Whole team a bit out of sorts.  Dunbarton were almost as shite as us. 

Edited by insaintee

4 of the 5 Saints rejects ran the show today and the 5th - the goalie Gallagher, hardly had the chance to prove himself until a minute from the end.

Kyle Hutton did himself justice for a change at Greenhill Road and was the most influential midfielder on the pitch - unfortunately we let him go at a bad time in his career when he was suffering from a severe loss of confidence.

Obviously based on this performance we are not yet good enough for a move up a division.

Hopefully mostly a case of 3 games in a week catching up with the players today. McGinn was caught in possession a lot today and kept hitting long balls which never reached his man. I don't think we got the ball to Morgan once in a good attacking position in the whole game. Didn't think Eckersley was fit to continue and hope he hasn't done any further damage by seeing out the game. Best runs of the game (other than Tom Walsh) came from Jack Baird breaking forward when there was nothing happening in front of him.

I thought Dumbarton did well today. Part time team away to the league game meant they were unlikely to be planning to play an expansive attacking game. They looked solid, hard to beat, committed, well organised and got the ball down and passed and dribbled far better than we did. For the away team starting the game in 8th place they had 6 shots on target to our 0, and more than twice as many corners than us today.

We need to sign a couple of players in January. Today was the worst we've been this season, against a team that always make life difficult for us, and that happens, but I think today also showed that the squad is light. Missing Smith was a really big deal today, and it showed that we didn't really have the squad to cope with it. I expect us to sign another striker, a winger, and a midfielder for the post Christmas push.

Incredibly poor performance today, arguably one of the worst this season. We always struggle against Dumbarton for one reason or another so I am happy that fixture is now out the way.  We really need another striker signed up in January, Gavin has been very good for us this season but in games like this where he is having an off day we definitely need another option there, Stewart for all his efforts just isn't good enough for this team, and Sutton is well past it now, he has now came on as a sub a number of times like today and contributed absolutely nothing, you can see why Jack doesn't start him in games. Although it was bad today, this will only be a blip, we have been very good this season over the peace, a result like today can happen and wont be a defining moment for the season

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Are you f**king stupid do you think I want to see us get beat I hate getting beat as much as the next guy .

No mate,I'm far from stupid.

Maybe you should look at yourself and the impression you give off.

Anyway.......we're all Buds together.Love you x 

I have to comment on one thing, in defence of Stellios, as I've read a lot of really negative comments about him that I think are incredibly unfair for two reasons. First of all, our defeat today has nothing to do with going down to ten men, as really it made absolutely no difference to how we played. Our defeat was down to:

Atrocious control and passing.
Constantly lingering on the ball, being very slow to release the ball, and often not looking up to see who was looking for the ball.
Not competing physically.
Being second to every ball.
Panicking on the ball for absolutely NO reason several times.
Trying to play a long ball game instead of getting the ball on the deck, even though we were being beaten in the air to everything.
Constantly slipping and losing possession when trying to do too much with the ball needlessly.

Essentially, we were terrible all over the park in every position at even the most basic of football technique today from start to finish.

The ONLY player that should get pass marks today in my opinion was McShane. Nobody else.

As for the actual sending off, it happened right in front of me, I hadn't looked away, was looking right at it. There was contact, but it wasn't his elbow, it was around his forearm, and was absolutely unintentional. It should have been a booking, it absolutely was not a sending off. Again, it was right in front of me, I saw this very clearly, and unless I see video evidence that shows me something I somehow missed, my opinion won't be changing on it. Never a red card.

We were poor the whole game and sadly when Morgan doesn't play well the whole team seem to suffer, but the manager need to ask himself why he thought Stelios was the answer to Smith being injured since he had never looked good in midfield before. We lost today for the 1st time in 10 months at home in the league and it wasn't that long ago when we went that length of time without a home win.  A bad day at the office but every teams will have them.

8 minutes ago, zurich_allan said:

I have to comment on one thing, in defence of Stellios, as I've read a lot of really negative comments about him that I think are incredibly unfair for two reasons. First of all, our defeat today has nothing to do with going down to ten men, as really it made absolutely no difference to how we played. Our defeat was down to:

Atrocious control and passing.
Constantly lingering on the ball, being very slow to release the ball, and often not looking up to see who was looking for the ball.
Not competing physically.
Being second to every ball.
Panicking on the ball for absolutely NO reason several times.
Trying to play a long ball game instead of getting the ball on the deck, even though we were being beaten in the air to everything.
Constantly slipping and losing possession when trying to do too much with the ball needlessly.

Essentially, we were terrible all over the park in every position at even the most basic of football technique today from start to finish.

The ONLY player that should get pass marks today in my opinion was McShane. Nobody else.

As for the actual sending off, it happened right in front of me, I hadn't looked away, was looking right at it. There was contact, but it wasn't his elbow, it was around his forearm, and was absolutely unintentional. It should have been a booking, it absolutely was not a sending off. Again, it was right in front of me, I saw this very clearly, and unless I see video evidence that shows me something I somehow missed, my opinion won't be changing on it. Never a red card.

From W1 I thought it was a stick on sending off. As you say the highlights will show if the ref got it right or wrong. No disagreement with the rest of your post.

14 minutes ago, zurich_allan said:

Happened right in front of me as well. I agree that it wasn't an absolute, definite red card offence, but it was certainly of the type that asks the ref to make a decision between a yellow and a red. Sometimes you get one, sometimes the other. 

Fundamentally disagree that it wasn't the key reason we lost. With 11 on the pitch we would not have let Hutton and Carswell boss the midfield like they did.