Dunfermline v Saints. (Friday 26/01/18)?

Geordie Saint

Well, What a weekend and what an unexpected delight Friday night turned into. I finally decided to risk the transport chaos and take the train. Well the football isn’t the same without a couple of sherbets.

Stopped in at the pub on the way to the station in NB. Got drinking with a couple of Hibees who wished the saints well and after a small refreshment I headed for the train via the chip shop.

I met a business associate on the train who was heading into Edinburgh for a “Boys” night out. He was armed with four little cans containing gin and tonic. Not my usual tipple but it would have been rude to refuse.

I had half an hour to kill between train connections in Edinburgh, so I went for a pint and was sitting in the seating area outside the pub, watching the world go by, when a guy with a thick banded black and white scarf, identical to mine, appears with a plastic bag full of cans. He dumps them on the seat opposite the table and asks me to look after them whilst he nicks to the loo. Turns out he’s a Dunfermline fan on route to the game. His bag is full of Strongbow dark fruits cider. Not my usual tipple but it would have been rude to refuse.

After a couple of Tinnies on the train. We visit the Elizabethan. Next to us at the bar is a blind guy who asks if we can lead him to the game. He hears I’m a Saints fan and asks for assistance getting into the away end. He doesn’t support either team, but he goes to different matches every week and prefers the away end because he thinks the atmosphere is better.

So off we go like the three bind mice. A drunk Dunfermline fan in the lead and a blind guy with a white stick hanging onto my shoulder.

I meet my usual Buds inside the ground and what a game. There were a few contenders for man of the match and what a first goal. Kyle McGennis was outstanding but even the Blind guy must have seen Bairdy was the man. I loved his goal and the reception he got at the end of the match was fantastic. Even Jack Ross who normally gives us a reserved clap and a cheer was giggling like a school boy and enjoying Bairdy’s moment to the full.

After a return to The Elizabethan I jumped on the train at Queen Margaret.

“Cammy, Cammy” and “We’re on our way” was being bellowed on the platform as we entered Dunfermilne Station and it lasted all the way back to Edinburgh. I found myself sitting with 7 Dunfermilne fans and another monster carry out. At least it was lager this time and it would have been rude to refuse. They were quite taken by the “Cammy Cammy” song and left the train at Haymarket having adapted it to accommodate their own names. Fecking “Gary, Gary” doesn’t quite have the same ring but it was echoing around the platform as the train left Haymarket.

The train was running late, and I had 3 minutes to make the connection to North Berwick but I made it. I met another mate on the train who asked if I was going for a pint in North Berwick.

Well, It would have been rude to refuse.

34 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Well, What a weekend and what an unexpected delight Friday night turned into. I finally decided to risk the transport chaos and take the train. Well the football isn’t the same without a couple of sherbets.

Stopped in at the pub on the way to the station in NB. Got drinking with a couple of Hibees who wished the saints well and after a small refreshment I headed for the train via the chip shop.

I met a business associate on the train who was heading into Edinburgh for a “Boys” night out. He was armed with four little cans containing gin and tonic. Not my usual tipple but it would have been rude to refuse.

I had half an hour to kill between train connections in Edinburgh, so I went for a pint and was sitting in the seating area outside the pub, watching the world go by, when a guy with a thick banded black and white scarf, identical to mine, appears with a plastic bag full of cans. He dumps them on the seat opposite the table and asks me to look after them whilst he nicks to the loo. Turns out he’s a Dunfermline fan on route to the game. His bag is full of Strongbow dark fruits cider. Not my usual tipple but it would have been rude to refuse.

After a couple of Tinnies on the train. We visit the Elizabethan. Next to us at the bar is a blind guy who asks if we can lead him to the game. He hears I’m a Saints fan and asks for assistance getting into the away end. He doesn’t support either team, but he goes to different matches every week and prefers the away end because he thinks the atmosphere is better.

So off we go like the three bind mice. A drunk Dunfermline fan in the lead and a blind guy with a white stick hanging onto my shoulder.

I meet my usual Buds inside the ground and what a game. There were a few contenders for man of the match and what a first goal. Kyle McGennis was outstanding but even the Blind guy must have seen Bairdy was the man. I loved his goal and the reception he got at the end of the match was fantastic. Even Jack Ross who normally gives us a reserved clap and a cheer was giggling like a school boy and enjoying Bairdy’s moment to the full.

After a return to The Elizabethan I jumped on the train at Queen Margaret.

“Cammy, Cammy” and “We’re on our way” was being bellowed on the platform as we entered Dunfermilne Station and it lasted all the way back to Edinburgh. I found myself sitting with 7 Dunfermilne fans and another monster carry out. At least it was lager this time and it would have been rude to refuse. They were quite taken by the “Cammy Cammy” song and left the train at Haymarket having adapted it to accommodate their own names. Fecking “Gary, Gary” doesn’t quite have the same ring but it was echoing around the platform as the train left Haymarket.

The train was running late, and I had 3 minutes to make the connection to North Berwick but I made it. I met another mate on the train who asked if I was going for a pint in North Berwick.

Well, It would have been rude to refuse.

Since this is now Monday, that must have been some hangover  :lol:

Was reading the DUFC facebook and what a way they have been treated. They hate ST with a passion.

They don't think they will make play offs  and neither do I..... they have in this quarter of games. Played 5 Won 1 ( against Brechin) Drawn 1 and lost 2-0. 3-0 and 6-1, that's relegation form. Even in our darkest form we weren't getting thrashed. United are not just losing

Every game now has a meaning................ loads of cup finals ahead, and its clear United are not up for it.

Changing my forecast , we will win league with 4 matches to go..................

16 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Was reading the DUFC facebook and what a way they have been treated. They hate ST with a passion.

They don't think they will make play offs  and neither do I..... they have in this quarter of games. Played 5 Won 1 ( against Brechin) Drawn 1 and lost 2-0. 3-0 and 6-1, that's relegation form. Even in our darkest form we weren't getting thrashed. United are not just losing

Every game now has a meaning................ loads of cup finals ahead, and its clear United are not up for it.

Changing my forecast , we will win league with 4 matches to go..................

Only 4. :o

1 minute ago, DougJamie said:

Yeah was working it out, we need to be 12 points ahead................... Actually your right........... Next week ?:D

With the goal difference as it is, we are effectively 12 ahead. That said, United do still have a game in hand (so that should improve the goal difference yet further in our favour:)).

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

With the goal difference as it is, we are effectively 12 ahead. That said, United do still have a game in hand (so that should improve the goal difference yet further in our favour:)).

I am looking at Livi not United...... form team is probably Falkirk, or Ton....... but again no one is even close to us on momentum, its actually like the last 4 seasons in the Championship . One team has pulled away, the rest have scrapped for play offs