Danny Mullen

div

4 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Shout out to Scottd...

still think Dun Utd will win the league by splashing the cash in January..?

we cant spash ours quick enough with this signing. 

Ross has a job on now trying to shift all the honkers he's signed, we cant afford to be paying all their wages and strengthening the squad.

Todd, Hilson, Duffy, McCart, Stewart, add McShane to that list too.

McShane wtf games are you watching. Probably in my top 3 performers this season, a cracking player.

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

McShane wtf games are you watching. Probably in my top 3 performers this season, a cracking player.

I had a wee think about who had performed really well and very significantly in the games I had watched. I was surprised at how many have performed really well :-

Fully agree on McShane,

McGinn

Samson,

Eckersley

Baird

Morgan

Reilly

C Smith   

L Smith 

Others too have had decent contributions :-

Buchanan

Irvine

Magennis (coming back on to it now)

Davis - looks so composed and reads things so well.

Stelios (I know lots of people like him and he did ok before Ecks was fit)

Hilson and Sutton with few goals (but too few and not many appearances)

McCart (When he was needed)

That does not leave much of the squad who have not done so much

Todd (too little but looks the part)

Kirkpatrick

Stewart

Stewart

Duffy

I had a wee think about who had performed really well and very significantly in the games I had watched. I was surprised at how many have performed really well :-
Fully agree on McShane,
McGinn
Samson,
Eckersley
Baird
Morgan
Reilly
C Smith   
L Smith 

Others too have had decent contributions :-
Buchanan
Irvine
Magennis (coming back on to it now)
Davis - looks so composed and reads things so well.
Stelios (I know lots of people like him and he did ok before Ecks was fit)
Hilson and Sutton with few goals (but too few and not many appearances)
McCart (When he was needed)

That does not leave much of the squad who have not done so much
Todd (too little but looks the part)
Kirkpatrick
Stewart
Stewart
Duffy

Agree with the above but need to keep hold of Todd. He will be a great player for us when he's back fit.

Ok so everyone thinks McShane is great, but as far as i can see no one can say what it is he is great at!

kudos for taking his penalties well, but saturday gone showed again how anonymous he can become for an entire game, add to that the amount of times he keeps passing the parcel to the flanks, then back again instead of threading through a pass, or taking a shot. He is not taking responsibility for creating goal scoring chances.

it seems like he is content with getting his passes made and received stats up, more than getting it planted in the onion net. Perhaps that is why big Sammy gets frustrated and shells it up to Reilly way too much?

9 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Ok so everyone thinks McShane is great, but as far as i can see no one can say what it is he is great at!

kudos for taking his penalties well, but saturday gone showed again how anonymous he can become for an entire game, add to that the amount of times he keeps passing the parcel to the flanks, then back again instead of threading through a pass, or taking a shot. He is not taking responsibility for creating goal scoring chances.

it seems like he is content with getting his passes made and received stats up, more than getting it planted in the onion net. Perhaps that is why big Sammy gets frustrated and shells it up to Reilly way too much?

9 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Ah so you clearly are watching him it's just your lack if understanding of his role. You describe perfectly what his job is and he us very effective at it. He is the give ago man, the link between defence and midfield. He isn't the attacking creative midfielder hence why he isn't threading balls to the strikers. That's more McGinn's job.

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Ah so you clearly are watching him it's just your lack if understanding of his role. You describe perfectly what his job is and he us very effective at it. He is the give ago man, the link between defence and midfield. He isn't the attacking creative midfielder hence why he isn't threading balls to the strikers. That's more McGinn's job.

Ehhh he plays generally in front of McGinn so cant see what you are on about there. And surely first time i have heard a players greatest asset being described as a 'Give n Go' man..?

I can't see the point of an "emergency loan" if he isn't able to play soon. An agreement to transfer him would have been enough.
Gave us the upper hand in signing him permanently. Someone mentioned Cardiff had a bid knocked back in the summer. May have still been interest amongst other clubs.

11 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:
13 hours ago, stlucifer said:
I can't see the point of an "emergency loan" if he isn't able to play soon. An agreement to transfer him would have been enough.

Gave us the upper hand in signing him permanently. Someone mentioned Cardiff had a bid knocked back in the summer. May have still been interest amongst other clubs.

Hope it works out for us and him, if we have pinched a wee gem from under a few noses happy days. Hopefully he is fit again ASAP.

I have belief in our management team, so I trust JR when he says that,  although Mullen is a striker, he has different qualities than Reilly and Smith. Let's see what he can do when he gets a game! 

Jack also indicates in his interview that some players will be leaving in January when he talks about the squad being bigger than he'd like. My choice of players to leave would be  McCart (not needed now that Davis and Mckenzie are back), Duffy (hardly been used) and maybe Kirkpatrick (not been overly impressive when he's played).

If some players go and we are able to add someone in January, it surely must be in midfield. We really need a robust player in there who can break up play (where's Jim Goodwin when we need him?). I see a lot of discussion on here about McShane but neither he nor McGinn are hard tacklers and that is leaving our defence exposed at times.

As for McShane's contribution, I'm not surprised that opinion on him is divided.  I thought he contributed well in the early part of the season when the whole team was on song. However, more recently he seems to fade out of games for spells and doesn't contribute the good forward passes that he was able to do in those early games.

Overall, I'm pleased that JR has managed to get a player in now, considering the tough games we have coming up, v Pars, Queens, United and Morton. A really hard festive programme. 9 points from 12 would be acceptable. So.............COYS!!

Edited by pondsman

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

As you say he is very much the link man, that said plays plenty of forward passes too...........his pass 30 yard pass along the ground (from a free kick) to Reilly against Livi was just quality just a shame Reilly couldn't quite finish it off. 

10 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

What is McShane so great at? Well, from midfield he's got 5 goals and 8 assists - that's the most assists of anyone in our team alongside Morgan. So along with his passes made and receied stats, he's also doing pretty well on assists, as well as goals.

Get us more anonymous players Jack!

:rolleyes:

Happy with this. Mullan has a growing reputation and other clubs have allegedly very interested in signing him. Now for Jack to get rid of some of the deadwood and bring more playes that can compete for a place and not just make up the numbers. McCart will return to his club and hopefully 4 more to be shipped out and a couple more in.

LPM Dundee Utd are not going to spend big as they don't have it

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/657692/dundee-united-announce-massive-loss-of-1-55million-in-latest-financial-figures-blame-it-on-relegation-to-championship/

And Saints are being prudent.... in the black- Just- living within our means .......................

Personally I wish we had Dobbie from QOS. Cant believe he hasn't moved on

6 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

LPM Dundee Utd are not going to spend big as they don't have it

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/657692/dundee-united-announce-massive-loss-of-1-55million-in-latest-financial-figures-blame-it-on-relegation-to-championship/

And Saints are being prudent.... in the black- Just- living within our means .......................

Personally I wish we had Dobbie from QOS. Cant believe he hasn't moved on

They signed a couple of players on pre-contracts near the end of last season, from what I could see, on the basis that they were going to get promoted via the playoffs. 

I think they will struggle and have to make cut backs big time if they don't go up this season. 

23 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Shout out to Scottd...

still think Dun Utd will win the league by splashing the cash in January..?

we cant spash ours quick enough with this signing. 

Having no money is usually a minor inconvenience when it comes to football clubs spending money.

5 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

No doubt they are paying big salaries to the likes of McDonald, King and Fraser. Living beyond their means perhaps?

Totally- Doesn't help that they have possibly the worst Chairman since the Marrs , also doesn't Help that their neighbours are in SPFL............

Hell mend them, they had it all going well and then in a few months sold out to Celtic........................

He still has his Aussie interests , I reckon if we cant get ahead by say 4 points, they will self implode

#feckem.....

19 minutes ago, scottd said:

Having no money is usually a minor inconvenience when it comes to football clubs spending money.

Will the real scottd please stand up...

i think theyve blown any transfer cash they had left, and are paying silly wages, still,like you say what has reality got to do with football finances. Maybe they will strike a deal with 'Pie-Us' and mortgage off the next five years of pie sales..?

47 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

Totally- Doesn't help that they have possibly the worst Chairman since the Marrs , also doesn't Help that their neighbours are in SPFL............

Hell mend them, they had it all going well and then in a few months sold out to Celtic........................

He still has his Aussie interests , I reckon if we cant get ahead by say 4 points, they will self implode

#feckem.....

We are in the SPFL also.

And if we get promotit, we'll still be in the SPFL.

Edited by shull

On 13/12/2017 at 7:07 PM, SaintGlenburn said:

Any word on how long the contract term on the permanent deal will be assuming its happening?

If we're paying a fee and there is a sell-on clause, I'm guessing it would be a 2 year deal.

Edited by Drew
Sell-on, FFS