January 2018 Transfer Window

Just now, billyg said:

I believe loan deals for R Stewart and Kirkpatrick are already arranged !

This comment has been made before, but have you ever known St Mirren to be so proactive in the transfer market?! Summer of 2011 aside, maybe. All those years under Gus when we seemed to be waiting forever for some news.

It's incredible.

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yeah that's why we'll have to sweeten the deals to get unwanted players out, that's football in 2017, and it's the problem facing every other Scottish club with the possible exception of C&lt!c in the upcoming transfer window. As for only signing players he wants to play, again, some players are bought as first picks, some as squad members, some do better than expected, some worse, again it's 2017 it's a squad game and we're just like every other club in the country in having more players then can play on any given Saturday.

Out of interest what size of squad do you think we should have, how many should we be cutting it by?

Cut it by the ones getting no where near the team.

6 hours ago, TediousTom said:

Liam Henderson in would please me somewhat, as would any potential return (via a loan) of one Stevie Mallan.

We have enough strikers now, an abundance if you like and we really could do with jettisoning up to two of them, Duffy of course being the first who's tea would be out.  I like John Sutton enormously and I would be sad to see him leave but I strongly suspect our management team will be working to this end.  Is Hilson's peg shoogly?

With young Maggenis returning to fitness the occasionally problematic right midfield should see some improvement and hopefully we will see a return of Josh Todd, a player I like, to bolster our attacking options doon the right flank.  A worry would be any injury sustained by young Lewis Morgan, I don't know if our new boy Mullen is any good on the left flank but we could be short of cover should Lewis take a shot on the treatment table. All in all the squad is looking no too bad, no too bad indeed.

Season greetings fellow Buddies.

I like your thinking TT

We need a goalkeeper and two central midfielders in my opinion: a touch tackling Hugh Murray / Jim Goodwin type and a creative Stevie Mallan type with an eye for goal.  A prolific striker too is required if we are to win the league, don't feel we can rely on Gavin Reilly alone.

John Sutton should be considered a Saints legend, but he hasn't taken his chances this year.  Duffy was an odd signing and it really does amaze me that Ross Stewart is making his living as a professional footballer.  Sometimes I remember it and just think "wow".  These guys should all move on or be loaned out, as should Kirkpatrick and Hilson.

9 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
11 hours ago, Stevie88 said:
I’m hearing John McGinn to West Ham. Apparently coming from a family member of John’s. Would imagine they would be paying in the excess of £3 million. Great for us if true emoji386.pngemoji386.pngemoji386.png

Are you hearing it from his grandfather, the ex-Celtic chairman Jack McGinn?

Never knew that.

On 12/13/2017 at 11:00 PM, St.Ricky said:

Well we know two changes. One in and one out with Mullen in and McCart back to Celtic. 

Others are speculating on a few others leaving. I may be wrong but I think Duffy has a short term deal until January.  As he hasn't featured then it might be a fair shout that this will not be extended 

Difficult to judge players who have have been on the injury list so I won't but the two who have returned to action recently are class acts in Davis and Our number 7 Magennis both of whom are getting up to speed with the pace of the game so only the manager can judge the value of holding on to an injury prone player. As a club we have a good record in dealing with players suffering mid to longer term injuries.

We seem to be finding it difficult to find a place for John Sutton...a player I like and our gangly but promising forward Ross Stewart. I would not be surprised if one  goes out on loan 

So my shopping list would include Liam Henderson from Celtic. Oh ..and retain Lewis Morgan on loan back till the summer. Henderson was a stand out in my opinion when with Hubs. 

Outside and ridiculous thoughts 

Stephen Dobbie in 

Feel free to rubbish or to agree 

Well - Part of this has happened - Ross Stewart out on loan.  TICK

Well - Part of this looks likely to happen - Lewis Morgan to Celtic with Loan Back to the End of the Season. TICK ?

Didn't see the Danny Mullen move coming - but welcome the move. X But Happy

Speculation has it that Liam Henderson is moving to Italy - so a move to Saints on Loan looks unlikely. 

On 12/13/2017 at 11:00 PM, St.Ricky said:

As the Morgan deal hasn’t been confirmed yet, could news from today impact it -

Hayes leg break - Celtic may want him now as a squad player for additional cover?

Van Dijk windfall - can we hold them to task for more dosh now they have extra cash floating around?

Dembele valuation - scotland’s hottest prospect v france’s hottest prospect. Honestly Morgan is worth less than 2% of Dembele... i know there’s a lot of factors in this, but it seems bonkers.

7 hours ago, pappas cheese said:

As the Morgan deal hasn’t been confirmed yet, could news from today impact it -

Hayes leg break - Celtic may want him now as a squad player for additional cover?

Van Dijk windfall - can we hold them to task for more dosh now they have extra cash floating around?

Dembele valuation - scotland’s hottest prospect v france’s hottest prospect. Honestly Morgan is worth less than 2% of Dembele... i know there’s a lot of factors in this, but it seems bonkers.

In short, the answers are: no, no and no.

Whats wrong with being different and only signing and paying players wages that will actually get/ be in contention for a game..?

In theory it sounds brilliant but in practice probably very difficult especially as players availability changes all the time.

And if we did that we wouldn't have signed Morgan, McLean or Mccallister.

On 14/12/2017 at 1:38 PM, Lord Pityme said:

Whats wrong with being different and only signing and paying players wages that will actually get/ be in contention for a game..?

Yup! Brilliant idea.

In fact, let’s only sign 11 players, coz that’s the maximum number you’re allowed on the pitch at any given time.

No need for subs because the 11 players will all be well worthy of their place and will never be shite.

if a player gets injured or sent off we’ll just need to live with it. No point in wasting money planning for that unlikely scenario.

It’s they way forward I tell you!! 

24 minutes ago, notabuddie said:

John Sutton staying to fight for his place. If he gets the right service he can still do it for us

Squad needs freshened up if we are to continue our promotion push. JR , I'm led to believe , knows who he wants, both in and out. Pretty sure JS will be gone , one way or another , in the window !

34 minutes ago, notabuddie said:

John Sutton staying to fight for his place. If he gets the right service he can still do it for us

Sutton's time was up a year ago when we got a new manager. He is far down the pecking order (even behind Duffy FFS) so why keep him when it is clear he is not wanted?

55 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yup! Brilliant idea.

In fact, let’s only sign 11 players, coz that’s the maximum number you’re allowed on the pitch at any given time.

No need for subs because the 11 players will all be well worthy of their place and will never be shite.

if a player gets injured or sent off we’ll just need to live with it. No point in wasting money planning for that unlikely scenario.

It’s they way forward I tell you!! 

Do you think we can afgord to sign players, realise they arent up to it, and still carry part of their cost by putting out on loan..?

the manager needs to be more selective in recruitment, thats actually his job! Whats the point in dishing out contracts to players you ship out on loan? He has a few strikers now that he doesn't fancy, all costing money and preventing him from recruiting players who he may actually play.

Do you think we can afgord to sign players, realise they arent up to it, and still carry part of their cost by putting out on loan..?
the manager needs to be more selective in recruitment, thats actually his job! Whats the point in dishing out contracts to players you ship out on loan? He has a few strikers now that he doesn't fancy, all costing money and preventing him from recruiting players who he may actually play.
I've ask you before and will try again. Name me any manager who had never signed a dud ?

Just now, renfrew said:
4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I've ask you before and will try again. Name me any manager who had never signed a dud ?

No one has said that, but this manager seems to be unable to identify strikers he actually wants to play once he's signed them.

Duffy, Stewart, Hilson.... now its preventing him adding players he may actually play.

19 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Do you think we/JR have some sort of exclusivity on signing players that don’t work out and have to be carried until they can be shipped out?