January 2018 Transfer Window

57 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I am more than happy to agree Reilly was a great signing. To move forward Ross and those who believe he gets everything right need to accept he has chosen badly as well, and tied up wages we could have utililsed to greater effect. 

Where did I say Ross got every signing right ? 

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

He needs them out before he can replace them, he signed them tied up wages and prevented himself from signing others.

Every team in the league need to get players out before they can replace them, apart from Falkirk, who needs to get a whole team out :lol: 

He needs them out before he can replace them, he signed them tied up wages and prevented himself from signing others.

Yes it’s blindingly obvious to us both that some forwards need to leave to get players in. That’s started even before the window has opened. So I could see the logic to what you say if nothing was happening yet but it is. Duffy and Hilson came later on and in the circumstances I can’t imagine the manager thought we could get better for the budget available. We spent money on Mullen already so it looks like we have a bit more to spend now.

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

You know you've hit the 'sweet spot' of denial when so many seem unable to accept so small an observation.

Referencing the club website first team squad forwards it shows of the seven forwards listed, Ross only plays two, of the rest, one is injured (again) and one he didnt sign. The numbers speak for themselves.

What is your agenda with Ross ? The last time I looked at the top of the championship, St Mirren were in pole position, that my friend blows your agenda clean out of the water.

1 hour ago, class of 76-77 said:

What is your agenda with Ross ? The last time I looked at the top of the championship, St Mirren were in pole position, that my friend blows your agenda clean out of the water.

Do you need to have an agenda to observe he only plays two forwards from the six he signed? 

Again if I was wide of the mark, no one would be interested in quoting me. 

16 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Do you need to have an agenda to observe he only plays two forwards from the six he signed? 

Which of the 2 forwards in question would you have suggested dropping to play one or more of the others?

11 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

What the hell do you want him to do, play a 2-2-6 formation just so he can play them. He "only" plays the same two as they have got us to the top of the league. Are you advocating a rotation system just to give guys a game !!!

38 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

What the hell do you want him to do, play a 2-2-6 formation just so he can play them. He "only" plays the same two as they have got us to the top of the league. Are you advocating a rotation system just to give guys a game !!!

When Cammy Smith was out we had nothing going forward. None of the others seemed able to step up. Hence why he has papped Stewart out on loan, and looks like Duffy & Hilson are going, in addition to trying to offload Sutton.

the reality is there to see, we have two good forwards, and Sutton. Problem is the team dont play to Sutton's strengths hence the lack of goals when he gets on.

lets look forward now and see who Ross can bring in to challenge for a jersey.

FFS are we no just happy we are top of the league at Christmas,think you lot need a reality check.

which journalist once quoted when" England won the ashes it was back page news for a week, when they lost the ashes it was back page for a month"

Fecking stop moaning and move on.

10 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

When Cammy Smith was out we had nothing going forward. None of the others seemed able to step up. Hence why he has papped Stewart out on loan, and looks like Duffy & Hilson are going, in addition to trying to offload Sutton.

the reality is there to see, we have two good forwards, and Sutton. Problem is the team dont play to Sutton's strengths hence the lack of goals when he gets on.

We can only do that if you stop banging on about it.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

1st take a wee look at where we were before J & J  and the new directors took the reigns.... The old regime were always tight with the budget and we were picking a whole load of duds, because they were available and within our budget constraints.. you can easily recall the names........

J & J also had to cut their cloth...and get folk in within tight time constraints and the pressures of where we were in the league etc..

2nd having playing at a decent level, and observing other teams there is always at least 4, and more often 6 forwards in a squad. Two or three are usually the first choice guys, but they need to know that if they are not doing it, the other guys will get a chance. I played in a team with 6 forwards in our squad, we played two each week and they both scored 42 and 44 goals that season. One of the "back-up" strikers got one game when one of our main strikers was injured and the guy who came back from injury got a double when he returned.  Three strikers, other than the main two got less than 10 minutes 8 or 10 times when the games were won. Neither the back-up guys scored,  ... it was a bit tough for these 4 guys to say the least, but none of the rest of us were complaining.. not even about the wages they were getting... they had a role, but it turned out to be not very much.. with injury's and suspensions it could have been very different.

3rd Reilly and Smith are in the first team on merit... Sutton is yesterday's man, and has never been prolific.. He works hard, but is slow, and at 34, on a wage that no-one else would pay... He will go when we can get him away - sooner the better. Stewart is a young guy with real potential.. He was signed as a back up and mainly for the future.. but  J & J have given him some 1st team experience but putting him out on loan to get regular games is absolutely the right thing to do.. (There was also no guarantee that we would be at the top end of the league table either, but we are).. Duffy was probably signed to entice Sutton to leave, but his fitness has not worked out. Hilson similarly was a risk and he did contribute a winning goal, but either has not managed to keep fit or get opportunities to show more.. (He would not have been on big money like Sutton). 

4th We have signed Mullen.. The others were signed as they were available at the time etc etc.. Mullen has become available and is most likely an improvement.. He certainly looks that already, and although it was claimed he was injured, he looks fit..

5th If you want to have a moan at our squad - best pile it on Sutton.. He is not in the plans, being over paid and is not really wanted by J & J or the directors..nor a section of the support (Harsh as that may seem - he does not offer us value, or what is needed at this time). No hard feelings, he was a good servant and did contribute in the past, but we need to build a team without him, as his game time clearly shows..

6th Teams sign good players that just don't work out for all kinds of reasons... remember Bahoken and look at him now... there was a player in there, but he was young and did not cut it in Paisley.. I am sure we would love to have him now though..

Roll on a victory tonight...

28 minutes ago, notabuddie said:

The trouble is Sutton offers us a target man. Ross insists on punting High balls in with two small strikers who have no chance. If plan A does not work we do not have the players for plan B

Seems to be working so far :) . We are top of the League and have 5  goal scorers in the top 14 of the Championship.

Maybe we need a target man but it ain't going to be Sutton.

2 hours ago, notabuddie said:

The trouble is Sutton offers us a target man. Ross insists on punting High balls in with two small strikers who have no chance. If plan A does not work we do not have the players for plan B

He may well be taller, but he is slow and surprisingly not that great in the air compared to the centre halfs I have seen him play against in recent years..

Reilly on the other hand is mobile and has much better all round control...

BUT the bottom line is - REILLY has scored 20 goals.. Sutton wont manage that many in a year.. unless he goes to the 2nd division..

I doubt there are many Saints fans who would rather see him play than Reilly... or Smith and he is not paying his way in value for us as a club on any terms....

6 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

2nd having playing at a decent level, and observing other teams there is always at least 4, and more often 6 forwards in a squad. Two or three are usually the first choice guys, but they need to know that if they are not doing it, the other guys will get a chance. I played in a team with 6 forwards in our squad, we played two each week and they both scored 42 and 44 goals that season. One of the "back-up" strikers got one game when one of our main strikers was injured and the guy who came back from injury got a double when he returned.  Three strikers, other than the main two got less than 10 minutes 8 or 10 times when the games were won. Neither the back-up guys scored,  ... it was a bit tough for these 4 guys to say the least, but none of the rest of us were complaining.. not even about the wages they were getting... they had a role, but it turned out to be not very much.. with injury's and suspensions it could have been very different.

5th If you want to have a moan at our squad - best pile it on Sutton.. He is not in the plans, being over paid and is not really wanted by J & J or the directors..nor a section of the support (Harsh as that may seem - he does not offer us value, or what is needed at this time). No hard feelings, he was a good servant and did contribute in the past, but we need to build a team without him, as his game time clearly shows..

Having made point 2, point 5 seems to contradict this. As you say it is a squad game and it’s not Sutton’s fault that the guys in the team are playing so well but anytime he has come in he gives enough effort to suggest his heart is still in it.

So why should he be forced out the club...........because he is on a good contract?

Surely as an ex player you appreciate that you sign the contract put in front of you, in the expectation that both parties will honour it. 

How often do we hear fans complaining that players who want out should honour their contract, so why should the club be any different?

I don’t disagree that John is past his best but we gave him a contract and if he chooses to sit it out while still giving 100% then I think that’s fair enough. Would I swap a potential league winners medal for a relegation fight or playing a league further down, as long as I was getting some game time at Saints I don’t think I would.

I totally understand it from a fans point of view but this is a job to these guys.

1 minute ago, John Gotti said:

Having made point 2, point 5 seems to contradict this. As you say it is a squad game and it’s not Sutton’s fault that the guys in the team are playing so well but anytime he has come in he gives enough effort to suggest his heart is still in it.

So why should he be forced out the club...........because he is on a good contract?

Surely as an ex player you appreciate that you sign the contract put in front of you, in the expectation that both parties will honour it. 

How often do we hear fans complaining that players who want out should honour their contract, so why should the club be any different?

I don’t disagree that John is past his best but we gave him a contract and if he chooses to sit it out while still giving 100% then I think that’s fair enough. Would I swap a potential league winners medal for a relegation fight or playing a league further down, as long as I was getting some game time at Saints I don’t think I would.

I totally understand it from a fans point of view but this is a job to these guys.

This...

imagine the floods of pish if he signed for Morton, Livi, QoS and scored enough to put them ahead of us..?

be careful what you wish for.

High balls to Smith and Reilly have resulted in goals!

Reilly in particular can turn the strongest of defenders.

Mullen gives us cover for Smith and Reilly, who will have to maintain their high standards to keep the jersey.