January 2018 Transfer Window

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Reilly is another example of a player whose career was on a slippery slope until he was adopted by the good shepherd Jack Ross.

JR seems to have a talent for spotting potential in a faltering player and rebuilding their confidence. I see Stephen McGinn as another example of someone whose career was going nowhere but downhill until he came back to Paisley and started working with JR.

Harry Davis's move to Paisley has also been  symbiotic. He is a better player for his move to St Mirren and we survived in the Championship last season largely because of the impact of Davis joining us.

Harry Davis is a good player. JR offered him a contract knowing he would spend half a season out injured and that loyalty is now being repaid with him back in the team. But to suggest he was the reason St Mirren managed the great escape is nonsense!

He played SIX games was injured on March 15 and missed the last 8 games of the season where St Mirren lost only 1 game (away to Dundee United)

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Harry Davis's move to Paisley has also been  symbiotic. He is a better player for his move to St Mirren and we survived in the Championship last season largely because of the impact of Davis joining us.

Wasn't he already a better player.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

This seems to have become the John Sutton will he go,  Will he stay thread.

My take is that he has never let himself or any club he has been at down. He has scored goals for each, kept his head down and appears to be a model pro. 

His reward of course has been to be able to ensure steady employment . No mean feat in the competitive arena in which he works.

Do I feel that his best years may be behind him? I am inclined to think so but would have no problem with him staying but, having said that, not often in the starting line up.

If he goes then he would certainly do a job at another Championship or an SPFL league 1 club.

Certainly a decision for JR and JS to make. 

JR has already made his decision. In fact he made it six months ago when he negotiated JS to move to a 1st Division Club that wanted him. It is JS that is making the decisions now.

If we can't move players on that are no longer needed or who have requested to move, I don't see us really needing to add many more new faces anyway.

Goalkeeper - Sorted

Defensively - I think we are well covered and should 'hopefully' not run into the issue of  two centre halfs injured at the same time again.

Midfield - We have a decent number of midfielders including the likes of MacPherson and Flannagan. I would also say that if Todd is due back anytime soon, he could play a major part across any part of midfield in the run-in. If anything, possibly add a tough tackling centre mid, though it has been suggested that Magennis could be moved in here even if it is the latter stages of a game. For me Kirkpatrick seems so far out the picture, I can't see a future for him.

Striker - We have a few on our books and midfielders who could deputise in this area. I think it has been well documented and discussed on here, it is likely either both or at least one of Duffy and Sutton will move on. Whether there is a wage freed up for this to even bring in a forward on loan then great.

Think Buchanan will be on the way out, but as Eckersley and Irvine have both played there this season, it wouldn't be a huge loss. Hasn't managed to secure a regular place despite injuries to Mack and Davis, who are both now back fit.

Duffy almost certain to go this week, and I'd expect a replacement to come in soon after.

Baird has seen his game improved massively this season and has had to partner numerous players. It' a testament to him that he is a first pick. I still think we could do with another forward, a player with dig in the middle of the park and perhaps a right sided player with pace. 

I'd imagine Sutton is unlikely to  get a move to a club that can pay him what we're  currently paying him so if we're getting rid of him he'll need a pay-off or we'll need to contribute to his wages while he's out on loan. The latter would suit us better as it would stop him scoring against us!

Could see him ending up at Queens. They're losing Chris Kane, McFadden has gone (admittedly didn't play up front much) and Derek Lyle has been told he can leave. Given that leaves them with just Dobbie (admittedly a great option to have) and Dykes they'll need another striker so wouldn't be a surprise if Sutton goes there. And then Lyle goes to Dumbarton and scores on Saturday...

5 hours ago, Sonny said:

JR has already made his decision. In fact he made it six months ago when he negotiated JS to move to a 1st Division Club that wanted him. It is JS that is making the decisions now.

No disagreement from me. It takes two to tango however.

With both Ross Stewart and Duffy away it looks like Sutton will remain as striking back up. Would make sense meaning we can strengthen in other areas rather than offloading another fringe player to be replaced by someone else who in all likelihood would fill the exact same roll.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

With both Ross Stewart and Duffy away it looks like Sutton will remain as striking back up. Would make sense meaning we can strengthen in other areas rather than offloading another fringe player to be replaced by someone else who in all likelihood would fill the exact same roll.

Think Sutton is below Mullen also as striking back-up...

5 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

Think Sutton is below Mullen also as striking back-up...

Correct I'm amazed so many think it' good to keep John when he is one of our highest paid players so far down the pecking order bottom line is the ball is firmly in John' s court. Mullen is a good player just needs time to settle into his new surroundings  it can take some players longer than others. 

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

Sutton won’t be going anywhere unless the prospective club matches his current wages. Coming to the end of his career and, if it was me, I’d take the extra 5 months at a higher wage.

As would we all Aldo. No complaints from me about JS or JR in this case. Both appear to be acting very professionally. Ultimately it is for JR to find a solution if he does indeed think the time right to move JS on. If he does then JS will go with at least this fan's best wishes and thanks.

Even if JS is not getting a lot of game time now he's still been in every match squad this season.

To get him to leave we would have to pay a portion of his wage while he was playing for another club so he wasn't out of pocket, I know in the past (Dennis Wyness) this was 50%. Sutton may be our highest earner but could we find a replacement as good as or better for half his wages?

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Correct I'm amazed so many think it' good to keep John when he is one of our highest paid players so far down the pecking order bottom line is the ball is firmly in John' s court. Mullen is a good player just needs time to settle into his new surroundings  it can take some players longer than others. 

He's hardly "so far down the pecking order" we only have him and Mullen. We need more than 1 backup striker !

Does anyone actually know for a fact that JS is one of our highest earners or are we using the Cheesy McAusland wage calculator again?

Even if JS is not getting a lot of game time now he's still been in every match squad this season.
To get him to leave we would have to pay a portion of his wage while he was playing for another club so he wasn't out of pocket, I know in the past (Dennis Wyness) this was 50%. Sutton may be our highest earner but could we find a replacement as good as or better for half his wages?
We may find a better replacement for half his wages, plus a portion of Stewart's and a portion of Duffy's.

I've no desperate wish to see him leave, as he is capable of giving us something different, but do think we could get someone in that the manager would make more use of. If Sutton stays, I'm sure he'll get another few short sub appearances, and if he makes a difference in even one of those it may be enough to call a successful season for the club.

57 minutes ago, Hambud said:

Does anyone actually know for a fact that JS is one of our highest earners or are we using the Cheesy McAusland wage calculator again?

Well it's not too hard to work out. 1/ Came from a Premiership club . 2/ was seen by our club as a star signing to replace Thomoo. So if you think he is one of our lower paid earners  then I'm out of that debate. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint