January 2018 Transfer Window

Unless we get an injury then he becomes the next choice CB... In that instance we would not have a natural CB option from the bench in the event of a red card or injury (both have happened on more than one occasion this season). That's pretty much my point. 
I'd be happy to see both. With McLean looking more likely to go this window maybe that extra money will free up an extra player or two.  
Money spent on a centre back for the sake of it is money wasted. Jack was on Sportsound tonight - he's looking for another attacking player. No mention of a centre back...

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:
3 hours ago, Wilbur said:
I'm hoping we don't touch the Celtic money for Morgan this season while we still have the player. We will need the cash next season to fund Morgan's replacement.

We already got Morgan's replacement his name is Ryan Flynn.

What :o  no replacement coming off the production line. 

1 hour ago, Soctty said:
6 hours ago, bazil85 said:
Unless we get an injury then he becomes the next choice CB... In that instance we would not have a natural CB option from the bench in the event of a red card or injury (both have happened on more than one occasion this season). That's pretty much my point. 
I'd be happy to see both. With McLean looking more likely to go this window maybe that extra money will free up an extra player or two.  

Money spent on a centre back for the sake of it is money wasted. Jack was on Sportsound tonight - he's looking for another attacking player. No mention of a centre back...

Looks Like Jack knows what he is doing - 

That's not my take , he played several games as a right wing-back for Sheff U . If anything , he's the longer term replacement for Liam Smith when he goes back.
Seem to remember him as an attacking midfielder from his Falkirk days.

Really don't see him being much of a defender.

A new right back will be bought in the summer.

Seem to remember him as an attacking midfielder from his Falkirk days.

Really don't see him being much of a defender.

A new right back will be bought in the summer.

Doesn't matter whether you see him as a defender or not , he played a full season playing either wing back in 3 -5-2 or full back in a 4-4-2. It's all there to read in the Sheffield United forums. He certainly won't be assuming the Morgan role , that's for sure .

21 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

We have conceded the 2nd least goals in the Championship this season (2 more than Morton). That includes many games when we have had various players out injured (more than our fair share I would suspect).

Stats are great - if we only count the last 7 league games (and put defending down to Davis +) then we have 6 wins, and 1 draw;  12 goals for and only 4 against...with 4 clean sheets...

The truth is that defending is not solely down to centre-backs or even just the defence... the midfield have to track runners and forwards have to defend at corners/freekicks when opposition defenders come up the park...the goalie does his bit too.

I think that where our midfield has been a bit weaker was in helping the defence at times... no doubt J & J worked on this and over the season they are covering better and working better as a team with defenders too...Hill could help here too. Flynn might be even more attacking, and at times that will be great.

When Baird last played with Mac, Mac was not back to match fitness and prior to that, in the Morton game, carrying an injury - that is not helpful, but was the situations we were in. 

Losing any of our best players can mean we don't have someone just as good to replace them, but now we have better options all round..

Anyone else who comes in, has to be better, rather than cover or it is best to sit on our money... for next season will be a step change up..

I agree with everything you're saying but it doesn't take away from the point that we may have a reliance on Davis that could become apparent if he was to be injured again. No one can really argue that we're better defensively with him than without him. For me another CB option would be great to limit the worries of him, Baird or Mac getting injured. 

19 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Can't understand the obsession for another centre back when we have cover. Me im going to enjoy the rest of the season for what is way beyond what i could have imagined back in August. Bring on Aberdeen this is a game to get excited about. 

Obsession is a bit exaggerated don't you think? A simple observation if one gets injured we only have two natural CBs in the first team squad. JR wanted four at start of the season, not sure why it's so unreasonable to want four now when we're chasing a title... 

16 hours ago, Soctty said:
22 hours ago, bazil85 said:

My gathering of that interview was there was nothing concrete about a ST either just inquiries. Made the point a few times, he wanted four at start of the season so why is that so unreasonable now? Might be an unfamiliar notion to some but managers often keep signing chat close to their chest... Would explain why he was vague about the attacking option also.  

My gathering of that interview was there was nothing concrete about a ST either just inquiries. Made the point a few times, he wanted four at start of the season so why is that so unreasonable now? Might be an unfamiliar notion to some but managers often keep signing chat close to their chest... Would explain why he was vague about the attacking option also.  
FFS he's not going to come out and blab everything is he? You even mention late in the same paragraph about keeping thing choose to his chest!

Bizarre stuff from you...[emoji1]

42 minutes ago, Soctty said:

Ryan Flynn isn't a right back. To think we'd tempt a winger to the club with the promise of being played somewhere he's lined up about a dozen times in his career doesn't seem realistic to me.

We don't have full backs.

Have you seen how many times our attacking wing backs run past Lewis and cross the ball?

See first goal at Dumbarton.

Stellllllllllliiiiiioooosssss!!!!!!!!! 

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

FFS he's not going to come out and blab everything is he? You even mention late in the same paragraph about keeping thing choose to his chest!

Bizarre stuff from you...emoji1.png

Are you high? :lol: yours is the comment saying 'no mention of a center back'

My whole point is that what he said in that interview doesn't mean he isn't looking at options. I've said all along this is purely speculation. You're the one pretty much coming out saying JR doesn't want one because he didn't say it in the interview not me :huh:

Just now, bazil85 said:

Are you high? :lol: yours is the comment saying 'no mention of a center back'

My whole point is that what he said in that interview doesn't mean he isn't looking at options. I've said all along this is purely speculation. You're the one pretty much coming out saying JR doesn't want one because he didn't say it in the interview not me :huh:

So he says he's looking to bring in an attacking player but you take that to mean he isn't looking to bring in an attacking player?

Sure...

37 minutes ago, E=Mc2 said:

We don't have full backs.

Have you seen how many times our attacking wing backs run past Lewis and cross the ball?

See first goal at Dumbarton.

Stellllllllllliiiiiioooosssss!!!!!!!!! 

They're attacking full backs, but full backs nonetheless...

14 minutes ago, Soctty said:

So he says he's looking to bring in an attacking player but you take that to mean he isn't looking to bring in an attacking player?

Sure...

I'm not sure how else I can say this, I'm really struggling to simplify further.  

1. I'm in no doubt he's looking at attacking options and I fully see there would be a benefit in this.

2. Just because he doesn't come out and talk about a CB doesn't mean he isn't looking for one (which you've pretty much said in your previous post)

3. There is a case to be made for bringing in another CB.

4. It's only my opinion giving how many goals we conceded before Davis was fit and the position we'd be in with a CB injury, that a CB could be higher priority than a new striker when we have 3 options (plus Sutton) with JR preferring a single striker.

I think my OPINION and reasoning is pretty clear and certainly valid. Others might not agree and have made valid OPINIONS about a striker being a higher priority. They're all OPINIONS, doesn't mean one is right one is wrong. 

I'm not sure how else I can say this, I'm really struggling to simplify further.  
1. I'm in no doubt he's looking at attacking options and I fully see there would be a benefit in this.
2. Just because he doesn't come out and talk about a CB doesn't mean he isn't looking for one (which you've pretty much said in your previous post)
4. It's only my opinion giving how many goals we conceded before Davis was fit and the position we'd be in with a CB injury, that a CB could be higher priority than a new striker when we have 3 options (plus Sutton) with JR preferring a single striker.
I think my OPINION and reasoning is pretty clear and certainly valid. Others might not agree and have made valid OPINIONS about a striker being a higher priority. They're all OPINIONS, doesn't mean one is right one is wrong. 
You do like to drone out for no real reason don't you?

[emoji57]

Doesn't matter whether you see him as a defender or not , he played a full season playing either wing back in 3 -5-2 or full back in a 4-4-2. It's all there to read in the Sheffield United forums. He certainly won't be assuming the Morgan role , that's for sure .
Maybe we need to disagree the guy has mostly played as a right midfielder/winger you even mention that yourself as a 3-5-2 means he plays Right Midfield does it not???

The guy definitely has been brought in for the right midfielder/winger position.

Whether that is Morgan's position is up for debate.

If Flynn ever lines up at right back I shall pay a forfeit of your choice.

Maybe we need to disagree the guy has mostly played as a right midfielder/winger you even mention that yourself as a 3-5-2 means he plays Right Midfield does it not???

The guy definitely has been brought in for the right midfielder/winger position.

Whether that is Morgan's position is up for debate.

If Flynn ever lines up at right back I shall pay a forfeit of your choice.

If he ever plays the Liam Smith role you'll pay a forfeit ? He's a cert to play there at some juncture same as Stelios does on the left !

46 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

You keep pushing a CD over a Striker - saying we have 3 striker options plus Sutton    ( for 2 places - though I think it would be good sometimes to play with 3 up front....Barcelona style)

Our options for centre-back are :-   Davis, Baird, MacKenzie, Eckersley, Irvine, Hill, and either Darren Whyte who could be recalled or an emergency loan. (We have 6 options for 2 places and other options after that. ) I personally liked Buchanan but he was 4th choice and would not stay for that reason.. another 4th or 7th  choice guy ain't going to be any happier or be a good investment with the other choices we have available..

Jack is pretty open with the fans - ideally 1 more player who is a striker - he (and others supporting him) is/are not daft...look at the magic he has conjured over this past year. (Continuous improvement is the name of the game if you want success...

Yes we don't know everything that is going on but looking at our squad that is the area he would most like to have an additional/different option in.. We have 4 very decent options for CD plus 1 we don't know yet (Hill) and 1 who is not as good as the others (Irvine) .  Up front we really have 3 guys who are similar, 1 who is past it at our level and a vision of a quality Premiership guy who we would love to bring in, ready for the off next season, part of the team for 6 months and up to speed with his teammates...

Even if we suddenly bring in a big sum from a transfer, I don't think Jack will bring in another CB unless we do have an emergency situation of 3 of the 1st 4 choices out..