Jump to content

St.Ricky

January 2018 Transfer Window

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I agree with all the Sutton comments but my point remains, he doesn't want to leave so he's still an option if injuries occur or JR thinks a game will benefit his style. Again i'm not saying another striker would be a bad thing. I'm only saying an argument (and in my opinion a stronger one) can be made for a CB. I know and appreciate the styles Reilly, Smith and Mullan play but I'd also say it'll be the style we use in the vast majority of games. Therfore a striker coming in will only get limited game time the same as another CB would. 

Arguments for either and arguments for both. Need to stress this is all speculation and whatever JR decides I will agree with. he knows way better than anyone on here. I wouldn't be trusting a couple news stories though linking us to a striker as gospil that that's all he wants. 

But that is the point is it not?  Sutton is not a direct replacement for Reilly, Smith or Mullen if injuries occur - we would have to change the style if Sutton came in for one of then. And we have nearly played everyone 3 times now and Jack hasn't yet found opposition that we would benefit from Sutton's style. I am not having a go at Sutton but the reality is Sutton is not in the Manager's plans.

I reckon we can go on and win the League with the squad we have. However as we come to the sharp end of the season when games take on huge importance as Clubs try and stay in the League or get into the play-off places there will be a lot of shutting up shop from teams as they try to get a point against us. That will be when we may need a Plan B up front (or play Gary Mac there :) ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have 14 lake matches left to play. At this point, Jack is going to bring in whoever he thinks can be most effective in those games.

I totally understand the point about another centre back, but a fourth choice centre back is unlikely to be used, and we're unlikely to get one who is of great quality.

As I pointed out earlier, strikers are far more likely to be used from the bench given Jack's substitutions this season. We are also far he likely to be on the front foot in games, with a different option being important in trying to break teams down.

With so little of the season to go, I will be happy if Jack makes a positive, proactive signing rather than a cautious one that may prove unneeded. That's my position anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Soctty said:

We have 14 lake matches left to play. At this point, Jack is going to bring in whoever he thinks can be most effective in those games.

I totally understand the point about another centre back, but a fourth choice centre back is unlikely to be used, and we're unlikely to get one who is of great quality.

As I pointed out earlier, strikers are far more likely to be used from the bench given Jack's substitutions this season. We are also far he likely to be on the front foot in games, with a different option being important in trying to break teams down.

With so little of the season to go, I will be happy if Jack makes a positive, proactive signing rather than a cautious one that may prove unneeded. That's my position anyway.

Common sense is not gonna make me change my mind! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sonny said:

But that is the point is it not?  Sutton is not a direct replacement for Reilly, Smith or Mullen if injuries occur - we would have to change the style if Sutton came in for one of then. And we have nearly played everyone 3 times now and Jack hasn't yet found opposition that we would benefit from Sutton's style. I am not having a go at Sutton but the reality is Sutton is not in the Manager's plans.

I reckon we can go on and win the League with the squad we have. However as we come to the sharp end of the season when games take on huge importance as Clubs try and stay in the League or get into the play-off places there will be a lot of shutting up shop from teams as they try to get a point against us. That will be when we may need a Plan B up front (or play Gary Mac there :) ).

No, it's not my point at all. My point is we still have three strikers in JR plan + Sutton if needed, we also have an additional two midfield options now to change things up on the park to provide different attacking and holding options.

For CB we have three options, then we would either have to move Eck out of position or bring in Irvine who's hardly kicked a ball. My whole point has been we're in a better position going forward than defensively. And IMO the stats all prove that. Like you say played each team almost three times and we have three players on a combined 40+ goals. The other side of that when Davis hasn't been playing our goals against record was pretty worrying. My point is if we lose him again, Mac picks up another injury or if Baird gets an injury + suspensions. You're then stuck with two CB in the squad and very limited options. Mac and Baird hasn't worked together more than it has, it's a concern. 

Yes it might be nice to have another option up front for teams that Reilly, Smith, Morgan, Magennis (Who's been missing early in the season but is now looking like a real menace) McGinn, McShane, etc can't break down. But those games have proven a bit of an exception, we're very free scoring. I don't know if you're grasping that I DO see the benefit in another striker but for me a CB would be much more comforting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Soctty said:

We have 14 lake matches left to play. At this point, Jack is going to bring in whoever he thinks can be most effective in those games.

I totally understand the point about another centre back, but a fourth choice centre back is unlikely to be used, and we're unlikely to get one who is of great quality.

As I pointed out earlier, strikers are far more likely to be used from the bench given Jack's substitutions this season. We are also far he likely to be on the front foot in games, with a different option being important in trying to break teams down.

With so little of the season to go, I will be happy if Jack makes a positive, proactive signing rather than a cautious one that may prove unneeded. That's my position anyway.

Unless we get an injury then he becomes the next choice CB... In that instance we would not have a natural CB option from the bench in the event of a red card or injury (both have happened on more than one occasion this season). That's pretty much my point. 

I'd be happy to see both. With McLean looking more likely to go this window maybe that extra money will free up an extra player or two.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given JR is looking for a player for the top league next year  possible he has a new CH lined up for then but is not available now.  So bringing in a forward is the better medium term approach in his eyes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

No, it's not my point at all. My point is we still have three strikers in JR plan + Sutton if needed, we also have an additional two midfield options now to change things up on the park to provide different attacking and holding options.

For CB we have three options, then we would either have to move Eck out of position or bring in Irvine who's hardly kicked a ball. My whole point has been we're in a better position going forward than defensively. And IMO the stats all prove that. Like you say played each team almost three times and we have three players on a combined 40+ goals. The other side of that when Davis hasn't been playing our goals against record was pretty worrying. My point is if we lose him again, Mac picks up another injury or if Baird gets an injury + suspensions. You're then stuck with two CB in the squad and very limited options. Mac and Baird hasn't worked together more than it has, it's a concern. 

Yes it might be nice to have another option up front for teams that Reilly, Smith, Morgan, Magennis (Who's been missing early in the season but is now looking like a real menace) McGinn, McShane, etc can't break down. But those games have proven a bit of an exception, we're very free scoring. I don't know if you're grasping that I DO see the benefit in another striker but for me a CB would be much more comforting. 

We have conceded the 2nd least goals in the Championship this season (2 more than Morton). That includes many games when we have had various players out injured (more than our fair share I would suspect).

Stats are great - if we only count the last 7 league games (and put defending down to Davis +) then we have 6 wins, and 1 draw;  12 goals for and only 4 against...with 4 clean sheets...

The truth is that defending is not solely down to centre-backs or even just the defence... the midfield have to track runners and forwards have to defend at corners/freekicks when opposition defenders come up the park...the goalie does his bit too.

I think that where our midfield has been a bit weaker was in helping the defence at times... no doubt J & J worked on this and over the season they are covering better and working better as a team with defenders too...Hill could help here too. Flynn might be even more attacking, and at times that will be great.

When Baird last played with Mac, Mac was not back to match fitness and prior to that, in the Morton game, carrying an injury - that is not helpful, but was the situations we were in. 

Losing any of our best players can mean we don't have someone just as good to replace them, but now we have better options all round..

Anyone else who comes in, has to be better, rather than cover or it is best to sit on our money... for next season will be a step change up..

Edited by Sweeper07
changed "more" for "less"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

Anyone else who comes in, has to be better, rather than cover or it is best to sit on our money... for next season will be a step change up..

I'm hoping we don't touch the Celtic money for Morgan this season while we still have the player. We will need the cash next season to fund Morgan's replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'm hoping we don't touch the Celtic money for Morgan this season while we still have the player. We will need the cash next season to fund Morgan's replacement.

This. What a load of shite being talked here. We've got loads of central defenders and loads of strikers. But we've only got one Lewis Morgan. What happens if he gets injured or suspended?

A cursory search of LinkedIn comes up with over 400 results for Lewis Morgan. What is JR waiting for? Get a couple of them signed up ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We have Mullen and Sutton as options. We also have the option of changing the way the midfield sits with two new signings in that area if we need to change the way we attack.
If we get one injury to a CB we don't have a natural replacement on the bench, with our luck with injuries and possible suspensions I'm not comfortable with that. Granted the CB option from the bench isn't a regular one but is still needed sometimes to protect a lead or in the event of injury or red cards (which has happened a good few times this season) 

And let's not forget about Todd...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We have three strikers who are all similar (Reilly, Smith and Mullen)  and fit into Jack's style - a style that works well and has got us to the top of the League. They are fast, fit, close down defenders, track back and are lethal on breakaways when we are having to defend. Sutton does not fit into this system.  A potential problem is we have no plan B.  You reckon Sutton is the Plan B. However the manager does not see it (or he wouldn't be so willing to offload him) and his performances have not indicated it. I am thinking of games such as Dunfermline away and Falkirk away when Reilly wasn't doing it and Sutton came on for the second half and had no impact. I think we need another type of striker to complement the other three and offer us something different if we have to change things around. Somebody that can change a game if Plan A fails to be working.  And we do not have that in my opinion. I think Ross Stewart was earmarked for that role but it hasn't happened yet. I think Jack only brings Sutton on to waste time or because Reilly is knackered - not to change a game. With Mullan now with us I can see Sutton's chances decreasing even more. But we still need a Plan B.

Hyppolyte could be plan b.

(I accept to drop the case for Quitongo)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having just covered the last 10 pages of posts on this topic I cannot believe what we're arguing about:
One more signing, CB or a big CF

Unbelievable. Let's take stock - this time last year we were in turmoil, replace everyone. Now we're looking at a squad that we all generally agree is the strongest in the league, and only looking at players who'll be fit for the PL next season.

I have complete faith in J & J to sign, or not sign, the correct players.

And every chance of a result against the Dons this weekend - not a tie they want...

COYS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm hoping we don't touch the Celtic money for Morgan this season while we still have the player. We will need the cash next season to fund Morgan's replacement.
We already got Morgan's replacement his name is Ryan Flynn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't understand the obsession for another centre back when we have cover. Me im going to enjoy the rest of the season for what is way beyond what i could have imagined back in August. Bring on Aberdeen this is a game to get excited about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ronnie said:
3 hours ago, Wilbur said:
I'm hoping we don't touch the Celtic money for Morgan this season while we still have the player. We will need the cash next season to fund Morgan's replacement.

We already got Morgan's replacement his name is Ryan Flynn.

That's not my take , he played several games as a right wing-back for Sheff U . If anything , he's the longer term replacement for Liam Smith when he goes back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Unless we get an injury then he becomes the next choice CB... In that instance we would not have a natural CB option from the bench in the event of a red card or injury (both have happened on more than one occasion this season). That's pretty much my point. 
I'd be happy to see both. With McLean looking more likely to go this window maybe that extra money will free up an extra player or two.  
Money spent on a centre back for the sake of it is money wasted. Jack was on Sportsound tonight - he's looking for another attacking player. No mention of a centre back...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ronnie said:
3 hours ago, Wilbur said:
I'm hoping we don't touch the Celtic money for Morgan this season while we still have the player. We will need the cash next season to fund Morgan's replacement.

We already got Morgan's replacement his name is Ryan Flynn.

What :o  no replacement coming off the production line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soctty said:
6 hours ago, bazil85 said:
Unless we get an injury then he becomes the next choice CB... In that instance we would not have a natural CB option from the bench in the event of a red card or injury (both have happened on more than one occasion this season). That's pretty much my point. 
I'd be happy to see both. With McLean looking more likely to go this window maybe that extra money will free up an extra player or two.  

Money spent on a centre back for the sake of it is money wasted. Jack was on Sportsound tonight - he's looking for another attacking player. No mention of a centre back...

Looks Like Jack knows what he is doing - 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's not my take , he played several games as a right wing-back for Sheff U . If anything , he's the longer term replacement for Liam Smith when he goes back.
Seem to remember him as an attacking midfielder from his Falkirk days.

Really don't see him being much of a defender.

A new right back will be bought in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seem to remember him as an attacking midfielder from his Falkirk days.

Really don't see him being much of a defender.

A new right back will be bought in the summer.


Doesn't matter whether you see him as a defender or not , he played a full season playing either wing back in 3 -5-2 or full back in a 4-4-2. It's all there to read in the Sheffield United forums. He certainly won't be assuming the Morgan role , that's for sure .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×