January 2018 Transfer Window

16 minutes ago, John Gotti said:

Having made point 2, point 5 seems to contradict this. As you say it is a squad game and it’s not Sutton’s fault that the guys in the team are playing so well but anytime he has come in he gives enough effort to suggest his heart is still in it.

So why should he be forced out the club...........because he is on a good contract?

Surely as an ex player you appreciate that you sign the contract put in front of you, in the expectation that both parties will honour it. 

How often do we hear fans complaining that players who want out should honour their contract, so why should the club be any different?

I don’t disagree that John is past his best but we gave him a contract and if he chooses to sit it out while still giving 100% then I think that’s fair enough. Would I swap a potential league winners medal for a relegation fight or playing a league further down, as long as I was getting some game time at Saints I don’t think I would.

I totally understand it from a fans point of view but this is a job to these guys.

You make reasonable points but as an ex footballer, your contract means a lot less when there is a change of manager if you are not in his plans for any reason.. freeing up wages is a big one in that case.. it is not his fault, it just is what it is..you end up going from 1st choice to the bench or out of the squad till you get pissed off enough and decide to find a solution. In my case the new manager signed his son to play in my position... and there  were plenty options so I was off and the team dived, so I felt quite smug

I would not suggest that Sutton is not trying, he is a professional, and behaving well.

Sutton is not really going to get a chance much, not only because the two main strikers are 1st choice, Mullen will be next choice after them - unless there are injury's, and suspensions and if we don't sign anyone else that will be in ahead of Sutton 

26 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

This...

imagine the floods of pish if he signed for Morton, Livi, QoS and scored enough to put them ahead of us..?

be careful what you wish for.

Sutton is past it - he is not good enough/value for any of these teams - that is why Dumbarton and Raith are the ones which are supposedly interested..

secondly, no chance any of them passing us this season...

Wonder if we might have a wee word with Falkirk about getting Rory Loy on loan for second half of the season?

Still can't believe he left the St Mirren dressing room for Falkirk after he witnessed in second part of season. Assume they must have offered better terms, possibly closer to his home and maybe an emotional attachment to Falkirk in some way from his time there in the past.

We can't afford to pay a tranfer fee and match his wages but could take him on loan and pay his wages which would be high but when Reilly is missing we don't have too many other striking options.

I have no harsh words to say about any of our players.  Having said that,  the management team have decisions to make which they feel will strengthen the team. 

John Sutton is an honest and hard working pro who has given good service to Saints and others but it may be time to move him on if a similar style but more mobile replacement can be found. This would preserve the option to change our style of play during a game to suit a big striker.

For different reasons it looks like Duffy may also be replaced. I haven't seen enough of him to judge but he has not been able to force himself further than being on the bench (as has Sutton).

Hilson, Kirkpatrick are more difficult to come to conclusions on. Injuries have hampered their season. Only the management team can judge whether or not to retain them. 

Who to bring in is more intriguing. 

Could we afford, could we entice Stephen Dobbie to come to Saint's with the prospect of possible Premier League action?

Where can we find a midfield enforcer in the mould of Jim Goodwin (but with fewer bookings )?

Jason Naismith is out of contract in January. Could we see the return of the big man.

Not forgetting that Gary Irvine is out injured but will, I hope, be back and Clarkson is moving on.

2 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Thought I'd have a wee, rare, look at B&WA to see if it's improved at all in here, what with us being five points clear at the top of the league.

Not surprised to see it hasn't. A once-decent forum wrecked by repetitive, negative, attention-seeking f**ksticks.

Ta ta :lol: :byebye

Before you go, make it better by posting some sparkling contributions or even start a Thread. 

Didnae even notice you were missing. 

16 hours ago, John Gotti said:

Having made point 2, point 5 seems to contradict this. As you say it is a squad game and it’s not Sutton’s fault that the guys in the team are playing so well but anytime he has come in he gives enough effort to suggest his heart is still in it.

So why should he be forced out the club...........because he is on a good contract?

Surely as an ex player you appreciate that you sign the contract put in front of you, in the expectation that both parties will honour it. 

How often do we hear fans complaining that players who want out should honour their contract, so why should the club be any different?

I don’t disagree that John is past his best but we gave him a contract and if he chooses to sit it out while still giving 100% then I think that’s fair enough. Would I swap a potential league winners medal for a relegation fight or playing a league further down, as long as I was getting some game time at Saints I don’t think I would.

I totally understand it from a fans point of view but this is a job to these guys.

John is a professional footballer however he has not played 90 mins first team football in 9 months nor is he likely to. St Mirren are honouring his contract by sending him out on loan whereby SMFC pays the difference in wages so John not lose out financially. This would allow John to get match fit which he clearly is not, ply his trade, and attract better suitors when his contract does expire rather than the first division clubs that are being mentioned. But he prefers to sit on the bench every week and not play football. If he has given up then fair enough. But if he still wants to play football at the highest level he can then he is wasting his time by staying.

7 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Thought I'd have a wee, rare, look at B&WA to see if it's improved at all in here, what with us being five points clear at the top of the league.

Not surprised to see it hasn't. A once-decent forum wrecked by repetitive, negative, attention-seeking f**ksticks.

Just over 1400 posts in almost 15 years.....................the you post an attentions seeking attempt like this. :blink:

You're entirely entitled to your opinion but it's a tad ironic you post this when you could just have easily popped in and popped out again.

See ye. :byebye

7 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

Why don't we just trust the Manager (Lord Pitiful excluded).  After all he did a great job last January in strengthening the team.

Pretty much this.

I really hope we can hold onto Liam Smith. Great young player. A very good example of the 'modern' full back. I doubt we could do much better.

10 minutes ago, Drew said:

Pretty much this.

I really hope we can hold onto Liam Smith. Great young player. A very good example of the 'modern' full back. I doubt we could do much better.

He would love to stay with us for rest of season, but I think it might be out of our hands. 

4 minutes ago, pod said:

He would love to stay with us for rest of season, but I think it might be out of our hands. 

Smith joined on a season long loan on August 14

St Mirren Football Club are delighted to announce the signing of Hearts defender Liam Smith on a season-long loan. 

I don't know much about the Hearts team this season but unless Smith was going to be a first pick for them I think it'd be in their & Smith's best interests to see out the original terms of the deal - here's hoping..................

I have no harsh words to say about any of our players.  Having said that,  the management team have decisions to make which they feel will strengthen the team. 
John Sutton is an honest and hard working pro who has given good service to Saints and others but it may be time to move him on if a similar style but more mobile replacement can be found. This would preserve the option to change our style of play during a game to suit a big striker.
For different reasons it looks like Duffy may also be replaced. I haven't seen enough of him to judge but he has not been able to force himself further than being on the bench (as has Sutton).
Hilson, Kirkpatrick are more difficult to come to conclusions on. Injuries have hampered their season. Only the management team can judge whether or not to retain them. 
Who to bring in is more intriguing. 
Could we afford, could we entice Stephen Dobbie to come to Saint's with the prospect of possible Premier League action?
Where can we find a midfield enforcer in the mould of Jim Goodwin (but with fewer bookings )?
Jason Naismith is out of contract in January. Could we see the return of the big man.
Not forgetting that Gary Irvine is out injured but will, I hope, be back and Clarkson is moving on.

Naismith still has another 2 years on his contract, and I’m pretty certain he won’t be back at the saints unfortunately.

44 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Smith joined on a season long loan on August 14

I don't know much about the Hearts team this season but unless Smith was going to be a first pick for them I think it'd be in their & Smith's best interests to see out the original terms of the deal - here's hoping..................

Hearts have an option to re-call him during the transfer window.

He didn't play v Lothian Thistle as Hearts didn't want him cup tied.

4 hours ago, Mr Zo said:

Wonder if we might have a wee word with Falkirk about getting Rory Loy on loan for second half of the season?

Still can't believe he left the St Mirren dressing room for Falkirk after he witnessed in second part of season. Assume they must have offered better terms, possibly closer to his home and maybe an emotional attachment to Falkirk in some way from his time there in the past.

We can't afford to pay a tranfer fee and match his wages but could take him on loan and pay his wages which would be high but when Reilly is missing we don't have too many other striking options.

Intriguingly, after starting last week, Loy has dropped out of the squad completely for today's game. No suggestion that he's injured. Falkirk fans reckon he's away....

20 hours ago, John Gotti said:

I agree 

4 hours ago, shull said:

Ta ta :lol: :byebye

Before you go, make it better by posting some sparkling contributions or even start a Thread. 

Didnae even notice you were missing. 

Or you could make it better by stopping. I generally prefer to lurk, but the quality has declined and you're largely at fault for that. 

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Just over 1400 posts in almost 15 years.....................the you post an attentions seeking attempt like this. :blink:

You're entirely entitled to your opinion but it's a tad ironic you post this when you could just have easily popped in and popped out again.

See ye. :byebye

It was simply an observation. I was quite surprised there's still so much griping on here, was all.

Just now, Magic Monkey said:

It was simply an observation. I was quite surprised there's still so much griping on here, was all.

Nothing really changes TBH.

There's always an element that, no matter what, moan and dig away, even when we're doing well, as you originally suggested. 

It is what it is, a football forum with a mixture of characters. 

45 minutes ago, Magic Monkey said:

Or you could make it better by stopping. I generally prefer to lurk, but the quality has declined and you're largely at fault for that. 

It's an age thing :spud5

8 hours ago, Mr Zo said:

No thanks Mr. Zo.

Don’t want him anywhere this team. He nailed his colours to the mast.

I never thought he was that good anyway. He scored a couple of important goals for us but generally I thought he was very average and benefited from being part of a resurgent team.