January 2018 Transfer Window

Well we know two changes. One in and one out with Mullen in and McCart back to Celtic. 

Others are speculating on a few others leaving. I may be wrong but I think Duffy has a short term deal until January.  As he hasn't featured then it might be a fair shout that this will not be extended 

Difficult to judge players who have have been on the injury list so I won't but the two who have returned to action recently are class acts in Davis and Our number 7 Magennis both of whom are getting up to speed with the pace of the game so only the manager can judge the value of holding on to an injury prone player. As a club we have a good record in dealing with players suffering mid to longer term injuries.

We seem to be finding it difficult to find a place for John Sutton...a player I like and our gangly but promising forward Ross Stewart. I would not be surprised if one  goes out on loan 

So my shopping list would include Liam Henderson from Celtic. Oh ..and retain Lewis Morgan on loan back till the summer. Henderson was a stand out in my opinion when with Hubs. 

Outside and ridiculous thoughts 

Stephen Dobbie in 

Feel free to rubbish or to agree 

Sutton or Stewart? I'd like to see more of Stewart. He looks really good with the ball at his feet and can also win high balls which is a big problem up front when neither Sutton or Stewart are on the field. Unfortunately I think Sutton days are numbered.

Sutton, Duffy and Hilson will all go permanently. Sutton dependant on someone picking up his wage. 

Kirkpatrick and possibly Ross Stewart out on loan. 

I'd say we'll likely go for another central midfielder and if the three forwards above do go, another forward. Hopefully someone like Lewis Vaughan or Craig Moore who are both young and impressing in the league below. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Sutton, Duffy and Hilson will all go permanently. Sutton dependant on someone picking up his wage. 

Kirkpatrick and possibly Ross Stewart out on loan. 

I'd say we'll likely go for another central midfielder and if the three forwards above do go, another forward. Hopefully someone like Lewis Vaughan or Craig Moore who are both young and impressing in the league below. 

For me this is the issue - Sutton's has always looked after his financial interests during his career, which he is correct to do, and my opinion is that we may struggle to get another club to pick up his wages without a substantial sweetener.

Still we're off to a good start with Mullen!

Edited by Bud the Baker

36 minutes ago, JM1 said:

Pretty sure Duffy is contracted til the end of the season.  I'd still pay him off though. 

We don’t need to pay him off if he can find another club . If he can get fixed up with an Indian team I would think they would want him to join ASAP and he can go on a mutual consent .

probabbly best for both parties, sometimes a move simply doesn’t work out for whatever reason.

I can’t think of any position that we urgently need to sign someone to fill but we could do with someone else to play central midfield/holding midfield as we’re a bit light with only McShane & McGinn able to fill the role IMO.

Also, if Hilson and/or Todd are likely to be punted, I’d like to see young Flannagan brought back and integrated into the first team. He’s very highly thought of and by all accounts has been excellent during his two loan spells. Hopefully another exciting winger on our books!

I'd be sad to see Sutton go as he's been excellent for us over the years in both spells but it's quite clear Jack doesn't fancy him and if he's on a decent wedge the money could be put to better use elsewhere - Like buying fitba's for the first team :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

If no other club makes an offer any of our non playing/dumplings like the look of they will stay on the wage bill. Who in their right mind will pay them as much as we do? And whats in it for them to move, perhaps to another country for less money on a short term deal?

Certainly wouldnt be the case with Duffy going to India. They do pay very well even for very average players.

Liam Henderson in would please me somewhat, as would any potential return (via a loan) of one Stevie Mallan.

We have enough strikers now, an abundance if you like and we really could do with jettisoning up to two of them, Duffy of course being the first who's tea would be out.  I like John Sutton enormously and I would be sad to see him leave but I strongly suspect our management team will be working to this end.  Is Hilson's peg shoogly?

With young Maggenis returning to fitness the occasionally problematic right midfield should see some improvement and hopefully we will see a return of Josh Todd, a player I like, to bolster our attacking options doon the right flank.  A worry would be any injury sustained by young Lewis Morgan, I don't know if our new boy Mullen is any good on the left flank but we could be short of cover should Lewis take a shot on the treatment table. All in all the squad is looking no too bad, no too bad indeed.

Season greetings fellow Buddies.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

If no other club makes an offer any of our non playing/dumplings like the look of they will stay on the wage bill. Who in their right mind will pay them as much as we do? And whats in it for them to move, perhaps to another country for less money on a short term deal?

I know this is almost a decade old but when we wanted to offload Dennis Wyness we offered to pay 50% of the remainder of his contract (six months at the time) and passed this information onto clubs in the league - he eventually left as a free agent but signed for Dumbarton the first week in February.

That's the way it works in the real world and no doubt we'll be looking at the same sorta deal from SPL clubs.

Why call fringe players dumplings?

This is 2017 it's a squad game and some of these squad players aren't gonna get much first team action, nice work if you can get it I say. Jealous - you betcha!

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

We won't be any different from all the other teams in the league. All teams have players who fail to make the 1st team. We have around 5 players in that position which won't be much different from the other teams, apart from Falkirk who must have a dozen players they will want to move on. Oh and how do you know how much wages we are paying the players ? 

1 hour ago, Spam_Valley said:

I can’t think of any position that we urgently need to sign someone to fill but we could do with someone else to play central midfield/holding midfield as we’re a bit light with only McShane & McGinn able to fill the role IMO.

Also, if Hilson and/or Todd are likely to be punted, I’d like to see young Flannagan brought back and integrated into the first team. He’s very highly thought of and by all accounts has been excellent during his two loan spells. Hopefully another exciting winger on our books!

I'd be sad to see Sutton go as he's been excellent for us over the years in both spells but it's quite clear Jack doesn't fancy him and if he's on a decent wedge the money could be put to better use elsewhere - Like buying fitba's for the first team :rolleyes:

Was Gary MacKenzie not supposed to be able to play this role or am I getting confused again? :wacko:

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

I know this is almost a decade old but when we wanted to offload Dennis Wyness we offered to pay 50% of the remainder of his contract (six months at the time) and passed this information onto clubs in the league - he eventually left as a free agent but signed for Dumbarton the first week in February.

That's the way it works in the real world and no doubt we'll be looking at the same sorta deal from SPL clubs.

Why call fringe players dumplings?

This is 2017 it's a squad game and some of these squad players aren't gonna get much first team action, nice work if you can get it I say. Jealous - you betcha!

Anyone with a contract is highly unlikely to walk and be earning nothing. And again they are also as unlikely to move elsewhere to the season end for less money. Yes they could be paid up, but thats not saving anything. Its a bit embarrassing for the manager that he has brought in and paid wages to players he subsequently doesn't think are up to playing for us. Perhaps he will learn and only sign players he knows he wants to play?

2 hours ago, renfrew said:

We won't be any different from all the other teams in the league. All teams have players who fail to make the 1st team. We have around 5 players in that position which won't be much different from the other teams, apart from Falkirk who must have a dozen players they will want to move on. Oh and how do you know how much wages we are paying the players ? 

Whats wrong with being different and only signing and paying players wages that will actually get/ be in contention for a game..?

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Whats wrong with being different and only signing and paying players wages that will actually get/ be in contention for a game..?

Nothing being wrong with being different, but no manager will ever get all his signing right for lots of reasons. Name me a manager who had never signed a dud ? 

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Anyone with a contract is highly unlikely to walk and be earning nothing. And again they are also as unlikely to move elsewhere to the season end for less money. Yes they could be paid up, but thats not saving anything. Its a bit embarrassing for the manager that he has brought in and paid wages to players he subsequently doesn't think are up to playing for us. Perhaps he will learn and only sign players he knows he wants to play?

Yeah that's why we'll have to sweeten the deals to get unwanted players out, that's football in 2017, and it's the problem facing every other Scottish club with the possible exception of C&lt!c in the upcoming transfer window. As for only signing players he wants to play, some players are bought as first picks, some as squad members, some do better than expected, some worse, again it's 2017 it's a squad game and we're just like every other club in the country in having more players then can play on any given Saturday.

Out of interest what size of squad do you think we should have, how many should we be cutting it by?

Edited by Bud the Baker

Every player cannot be an automatic first pick so any team will have a squad, the point which we are I hope reaching is instead of having a team of first and second picks is having a squad of first pics so whoever is playing well gets the shirt and is not complacent. The only player who currently should be a first pick is Morgan as no way can we afford another of his standard without developing them ourselves.