January 2018 Transfer Window

17 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:
25 minutes ago, MarkL said:

If true it would be incredibly underwhelming

To be honest, he fits the bill for the type of player we require in midfield and we dont really desperately need to strengthen much elsewhere.

I don't buy this, we don't need to strengthen much - we don't have the biggest of squads and if for example a couple of guys go out of the midfield injured or suspended and who is their replacement?  (Todd - injured, Kirkpatrick - not rated, McPherson and who else ?)

Added in to the mix is (a) We are a bit 1 dimensional in midfield. We need to have good options to change the system and personnel  and (b) We should be signing guys that take us a step up, just like the last 2 transfer windows. The next step up is the Premiership, and getting guys in that are up and running will make the next window a whole lot easier.. look at Hibs last year, the 1st thing they did was sign 5 or 6 much better players and they are going strong...

35 minutes ago, MarkL said:

If true it would be incredibly underwhelming

How many games have you seen him play could you answer that one please. The only thing I know is what I read. Came through the Celtic youth system with flying colours only for Brendan Rogers to offer Hill a three year contract speaks volumes. Still I'm open minded so would love to read your low down from watching him. 

How many games have you seen him play could you answer that one please. The only thing I know is what I read. Came through the Celtic youth system with flying colours only for Brendan Rogers to offer Hill a three year contract speaks volumes. Still I'm open minded so would love to read your low down from watching him. 

Sorry for offering an opinion [emoji102]

I’ve never even heard of this lad in my life before. That’s not to say he could be an decent addition, he very well could be.

The reason I’m underwhelmed is we have seen the likes before of young unheard of old firm players on loan. Rory Loy, Paul McDiving Cheating bastard McMullen and Jamie McCart to name a few.

The above all never worked out.

The one exception to the rule was Paul McGowan of course. However, he did feature the first team beforehand. I’ve no idea if Hill has or not.

Saints are trying to win the title so it’s a big risk.

If he signs he will get my full support.

2 minutes ago, MarkL said:

Calm your jets bud

I’ve never even heard of this lad in my life before. That’s not to say he could be an decent addition, he very well could be.

The reason I’m underwhelmed is we have seen the likes before of young unheard of old firm players on loan. Rory Loy, Paul McDiving Cheating bastard McMullen and Jamie McCart to name a few.

The one exception to the rule was Paul McGowan of course. However, he did feature the first team beforehand. I’ve no idea if Hill has or not.

Understand your view point. Jack Ross has been up at the Celtic training ground having a good relationship with Rogers I'm confident Ross knows Hill if a deal is to be believed.   

Mark Hill

Mark Hill (born 10 July 1998) is an Scottlish professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Celtic.

Youth Career

Started his career in Hamilton’s youth system at 14-years-old.

Reported to have turned down the chance to join Manchester United after being shown round the training ground by ex-Scotland forward Brian McClair and a 90 minute face to face chat with ex boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

Broke James McCarthy’s record as the youngest player in Scotland to play in a reserve game against Ayr in April. Hamilton said they wanted to pick him for the first team at 13-years-old.

Joined Celtic in July 2015.

Won the Scottish Youth Cup at Hampden, scoring a goal as Celtic beat rivals Rangers 3-0 in the final.

Signed a new three-year deal with the Celtic in May 2017.

International

Mark has represented Scotland at Under-16, Under-17 and Under-19’s level.

4 minutes ago, pod said:

Mark Hill

Mark Hill (born 10 July 1998) is an Scottlish professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Celtic.

Youth Career

Started his career in Hamilton’s youth system at 14-years-old.

Reported to have turned down the chance to join Manchester United after being shown round the training ground by ex-Scotland forward Brian McClair and a 90 minute face to face chat with ex boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

Broke James McCarthy’s record as the youngest player in Scotland to play in a reserve game against Ayr in April. Hamilton said they wanted to pick him for the first team at 13-years-old.

Joined Celtic in July 2015.

Won the Scottish Youth Cup at Hampden, scoring a goal as Celtic beat rivals Rangers 3-0 in the final.

Signed a new three-year deal with the Celtic in May 2017.

International

Mark has represented Scotland at Under-16, Under-17 and Under-19’s level.

I vaguely remember the story of Hamilton looking to field a player that young, though never realised it was him.

It seems like his footballing may be ahead of age group. 

15 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I vaguely remember the story of Hamilton looking to field a player that young, though never realised it was him.

It seems like his footballing may be ahead of age group. 

Could be a good signing, surprised Hamilton wouldn't want him though. Has his development possibly stunted over the last couple of years? Hopefully not another Scotland youth nearly man. 

Sorry for offering an opinion [emoji102]

And Graham Carey ?

52 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Could be a good signing, surprised Hamilton wouldn't want him though. Has his development possibly stunted over the last couple of years? Hopefully not another Scotland youth nearly man. 

I think he comes highly rated at Celtic from what i've read. Still only 18 and seems to be a standout in their u20s.  It could have either been a recommendation from Rodgers to Jack or we have had our eye on him through the development games.

He may not have much first team experience, though you only have to look at Magennis and Morgan stepping up so quickly from the u20s with us, most notable Magennis who barely lost his starting place since his debut.

7 minutes ago, kevo_smfc said:

I think he comes highly rated at Celtic from what i've read. Still only 18 and seems to be a standout in their u20s.  It could have either been a recommendation from Rodgers to Jack or we have had our eye on him through the development games.

He may not have much first team experience, though you only have to look at Magennis and Morgan stepping up so quickly from the u20s with us, most notable Magennis who barely lost his starting place since his debut.

Let's hope so. Would love to see players like him and that young Gilmour really make it at the top level for Scotland. Obviously along with all of our young M's

1 hour ago, MarkL said:

Sorry for offering an opinion emoji102.png

eh.....Charlie Adam??

1 hour ago, MarkL said:

Sorry for offering an opinion emoji102.png

Charlie Adam. Scott Cuthbert. Graham Carey.

Just saying:P

2 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Let's hope so. Would love to see players like him and that young Gilmour really make it at the top level for Scotland. Obviously along with all of our young M's

Ditto.

I just read Hill almost joined Killie on loan in August.  

He may not become a first choice to start games if he joins, though he may offer us a different type of midfield role that we do not have and could be useful in latter stages of games.  

Well it's not too hard to work out. 1/ Came from a Premiership club . 2/ was seen by our club as a star signing to replace Thomoo. So if you think he is one of our lower paid earners  then I'm out of that debate. 
OK so it is the Cheesy McAusland calculator.

A fair percentage of our squad came from the Premier league or an English club (after leaving a premier league club presumably for higher earnings).

I can't see anywhere online the club heralding JS as Thommo's replacement.

Anyway fwiw I didn't suggest he is a low paid earner I asked if anyone knew for a fact that he was one of the highest earners which it turns out noone does.

28 minutes ago, Hambud said:

OK so it is the Cheesy McAusland calculator.

A fair percentage of our squad came from the Premier league or an English club (after leaving a premier league club presumably for higher earnings).

I can't see anywhere online the club heralding JS as Thommo's replacement.

Anyway fwiw I didn't suggest he is a low paid earner I asked if anyone knew for a fact that he was one of the highest earners which it turns out noone does.

Opinion mate just my opinion that' all. Wonder who the 2 players we are brining in Ross and Scott have said its with playing in the premiership in mind. 

Livi fan on P&B saying Buchanan is training with them and likely to sign.

Difficult one. Guy isn't playing and it would free up cash, but on the flip side we'll be down to three centre-halfs - one of who has played once since August and the other who missed the first part of the season with injury.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he's gone: https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/1480-gregor-buchanan-leaves-st-mirren

Edited by Stu

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Livi fan on P&B saying Buchanan is training with them and likely to sign.

Difficult one. Guy isn't playing and it would free up cash, but on the flip side we'll be down to three centre-halfs - one of who has played once since August and the other who missed the first part of the season with injury.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand he's gone: https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/1480-gregor-buchanan-leaves-st-mirren

Obviously JR's the man with the plan.

You really have to applaud him (JR), all those transfer windows when nothing much happened - with the exception of Sutton (allegedly) Ross has been able to get an impressive amount of business done in the 2 and a bit windows he's had with us. 

Can't wait to see who comes in!

Edited by Bud the Baker

I'm surprised that Buchanan has left.

As Stu has mentioned, we aren't awash with options now, so I hope this isn't something that comes back to bite us.

Perhaps the player himself initiated this. I could understand if he'd prefer to try his luck elsewhere in order to secure regular 1st team football.

Ach well, in Jack we trust.

20 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'm surprised that Buchanan has left.

As Stu has mentioned, we aren't awash with options now, so I hope this isn't something that comes back to bite us.

Perhaps the player himself initiated this. I could understand if he'd prefer to try his luck elsewhere in order to secure regular 1st team football.

Ach well, in Jack we trust.

Possibly did sanction this himself, as we already sent McCart back at the end of his loan whereas a loanee  would probably have been more beneficial as a backup to an area of the team that is hard to budge the current performers from the starting lineup.