Nathan Austin

paulsmfc

We all have our own opinions on John's merits but the bottom line is he is one of the highest paid players who is not in the manager's plans. We need players who are challenging for a first team spot and John no longer fits into that category which does not help the team or the player himself.

And two of the 3 clubs that want(ed) him are in the first division and one is fighting relegation in the Championship. If he did come back to bite us on the bum it would be because he has found a new lease of life which is not what he has now as his career is on a downward spiral and he'll have to do something to stop it.

If John was to leave, id imagine the clubs mentioned interested wouldn't be able to afford to pay 100% of his wages therefore us still picking up a percentage.
Every team needs a target man even as an alternative. It seems like we have made him available though if he has rejected the two moves. This one could probably stretch out till deadline day.

If Sutton goes to Dumbarton or another Championship club we should try to make sure it's a loan rather than a permanent deal. That way he can't score against us but can score against our title rivals.

Would like to keep him as an option to have on the bench but financially it doesn't make sense to have one of our highest earners purely for back-up purposes.

If Sutton goes to Dumbarton or another Championship club we should try to make sure it's a loan rather than a permanent deal. That way he can't score against us but can score against our title rivals.
Would like to keep him as an option to have on the bench but financially it doesn't make sense to have one of our highest earners purely for back-up purposes.

That wouldn’t solve the issue of us offloading a pretty hefty wage packet though.

I love the big man, like most other buddies, but his wages could be better utilised in our title race.

14 minutes ago, DWBud said:

That wouldn’t solve the issue of us offloading a pretty hefty wage packet though.

I love the big man, like most other buddies, but his wages could be better utilised in our title race.

If Hilson goes, we get rid of Duffy and free up some of Stewart and Sutton's wages by loaning them out it should free up a decent wedge. We probably don't need that much to strengthen - another option up front and maybe another central midfielder - plus there may be cash coming in from the sale of Morgan and McGinn.

If Hilson goes, we get rid of Duffy and free up some of Stewart and Sutton's wages by loaning them out it should free up a decent wedge. We probably don't need that much to strengthen - another option up front and maybe another central midfielder - plus there may be cash coming in from the sale of Morgan and McGinn.

That’s true, but we would just be delaying the inevitable by loaning him out for 6 months then offloading him in the summer you would imagine?

The Morgan sale will be a healthy boost which could be used, however I doubt we will see any McGinn cash until the summer.

I can't remember the length of contract that Hilson and Duffy are on but I doubt anyone would sign either of them on loan. We can only hope their contracts come to an end soon. Sutton won't go so we are stuck with him. Remember we have just signed Mullan and are paying a fee for him and allegedly signing Hippolyte so there is Hilson, Stewart and Duffy's money gone and then some.  I would like to see Austin (or similar) and another strong central midfielder. That will cost us more money.

13 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I can't remember the length of contract that Hilson and Duffy are on but I doubt anyone would sign either of them on loan. We can only hope their contracts come to an end soon. Sutton won't go so we are stuck with him. Remember we have just signed Mullan and are paying a fee for him and allegedly signing Hippolyte so there is Hilson, Stewart and Duffy's money gone and then some.  I would like to see Austin (or similar) and another strong central midfielder. That will cost us more money.

Hilson Six  months :  (Deal expired ) https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/948-dale-hilson-signs-for-st-mirren

Duffy One year : https://www.stmirren.com/news/club/all-news/1053-darryl-duffy-signs-for-st-mirren

43 minutes ago, pod said:

It's a dead cert. then.:rolleyes:

If it comes to pass it will test the faith of many a buddie who wouldn't have that imposter within a million miles (pun intended) of the club.

there are difficult players in other teams that always seem to make life difficult for us that I, and others wouldnt mind having had them in our team ( Higginbotham, Flood, young Quitongo) but not this fake! Its only a rumour AFAIK... but if it turned out this was the type of player Ross saw as our future after the likes of Morgan, Mallan, Mc Callister and Naismith then the games a bogey!

3 minutes ago, elvis said:

Don't know if anyone agrees but I would have Tom Walsh back rumour has it Utd are interested in him always liked him. 

He was the best performer on the pitch when we last played Dumbarton at home, and scored a good goal, but was always inconsistent for us. He drifted in and out of games but is clearly a decent player.

I suspect he had a point to make when he played so well against us.

Worth a punt?  Maybe.

Personally, I'd rather have Shankland back, but, having offloaded both, I'm not sure that JR would be interested.

27 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Aye... thats what was said about Paul McMullen, until he got booked/sent off for diving a couple of times.

McMullen was never sent off for us and I don't recall him ever being booked for simulation, either. Against us? Oh, definitely....he's at it all the time but who cares about us getting on his back since he's no longer a Saints player?

One player I do remember blatantly diving whilst in a St. Mirren shirt was Isma and I f**king love Isma.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

McMullen was never sent off for us and I don't recall him ever being booked for simulation, either. Against us? Oh, definitely....he's at it all the time but who cares about us getting on his back since he's no longer a Saints player?

One player I do remember blatantly diving whilst in a St. Mirren shirt was Isma and I f**king love Isma.

McMullen was booked for us against Livi and rightly got abused by the support immediately after. 

Austin has scored one league goal all season - against us in the first minute of the opening game. His record last season wasn't exactly brilliant either. Loy hasn't scored at all in any competition. It's a comparably bad record to Shankland and Hardie, who had managed three league goals (all for the latter) by the time Ross binned them in January last year. We could probably do with another striker but I'm not convinced by either of them, despite what Loy did for us last year. If we can't get anything else then fair enough but would like to think we could attract better. We'd be as well keeping Sutton, who also only has one league goal.

Hippolyte flatters to deceive and is pretty inconsistent. At least singing him would stop him doing well for us but I could see him being like an Imrie or a Quitongo who is a far better player against us than for us. Would rather see Nathan Flanagan recalled and get a shot.

Edited by Stu

Hippolyte would be a fantastic signing he ticks all the boxes in what would be the type of winger that Jack Ross could get the best out of. Austin seems to have lost his way at Falkirk. Not unexpected with a total moron like Hartley at the helm. I would take a chance on both players given how well Jack and James have done with players who have been in similar circumstances with previous clubs.