Billy Dodds - knows nearly as much as Alex Rae

The following comes from the Times today - what is it with ex Bluebeaks and former Dundee players ?   Hope he didn't get paid for this insight on the chamionship !

Under-pressure Dundee United can emerge outright winnners

Billy Dodds explains to Mark Walker why he tips the Tannadice side to pip St Mirren in the Championship race

Although the Paisley side may have taken a significant step towards ending a three-season exile from the Premiership by beating United 2-0 and stretching their lead to five points last Friday, Billy Dodds, the former Scotland striker, believes his former employers at Tannadice will win the race — if they can handle the mounting pressure.
Dodds, who also played for a host of clubs including Aberdeen, Rangers, Dundee, St Johnstone, Partick Thistle and Chelsea is now a BBC pundit after he and Jim McIntyre, assitant and manager respectively, were axed by Ross County in September. He has watched a lot of the league and believes Csaba Laszlo’s side will eventually overpower the leaders.

Dodds said: “I might end up with egg on my face, but I still think United will go on to win it — though all the pressure is on United. Hearts, Hibs, Rangers are no longer in this league; they are all back up in the Premiership and are stronger for it. So that puts real pressure on United. They are the big club down there, no disrespect to St Mirren, who are a well-run club. For St Mirren there’s certainly nothing like the pressure that is on United. And I think they feel that pressure.

“United have a good squad — they have a balance of experience and technically players. I think it will go right to the wire.”

Dodds, who won 26 Scotland caps, has been impressed by Jack Ross, the St Mirren manager, and his star player Lewis Morgan. The 21-year-old is set to complete a £300,000 move to Celtic this week and be loaned back to Saints for the rest of the season, which is a huge boost for the Renfrewshire club, according to Dodds.

He said: “Lewis Morgan is so positive. He gets a lot of ricochets when he goes forward. He reminds me of Leigh Griffiths although he’s obviously a different type of player. He bundles his way through, the ball bounces off him and he still gets his shot away. It’s a tremendous bit of business. The club are getting money and they are getting him for the rest of the season too.

“St Mirren have a good manager in place who kept them up and is getting his rewards now. He’s not a one hit wonder —he’s kept them up and he has pushed on. The question was ‘can they sustain their form from last season?’ He’s proved that they can.

“We played them pre-season at Ross County and beat them 5-0. And I think that was actually good for Jack because it gave him an idea where he was at. He’s added to his squad well.”

As for the rest, Dodds reckons plenty of them will be fighting for the other two play-off spots and several will be looking over their shoulders. He said: “Livingston have done brilliantly to be up there, although I think squad size will mean they will fade away. David Hopkin has got a real team spirit. Morton will be up there too.

“Inverness will probably be involved for a play-off spot. If they hadn’t had a horror start to the season, they would have been right in the mix. They are starting to gather momentum now.

“Dunfermline started well, but they have to be more consistent. I read their manager Allan Johnston saying they are not handling the home fans, so they need to sort that out. As for Falkirk, they have got to concentrate on getting out of the play-off place at the bottom. They still have a job to do.

“I think United and St Mirren will be fighting it out for the title. The table doesn’t lie. The rest, excluding Brechin City, are probably all battling for a play-off place.”

42 minutes ago, 3 moffat buds said:

The following comes from the Times today - what is it with ex Bluebeaks and former Dundee players ?   Hope he didn't get paid for this insight on the chamionship !

Billy Dodds explains to Mark Walker why he tips the Tannadice side to pip St Mirren in the Championship race

Although the Paisley side may have taken a significant step towards ending a three-season exile from the Premiership by beating United 2-0 and stretching their lead to five points last Friday, Billy Dodds, the former Scotland striker, believes his former employers at Tannadice will win the race — if they can handle the mounting pressure.
Dodds, who also played for a host of clubs including Aberdeen, Rangers, Dundee, St Johnstone, Partick Thistle and Chelsea is now a BBC pundit after he and Jim McIntyre, assitant and manager respectively, were axed by Ross County in September. He has watched a lot of the league and believes Csaba Laszlo’s side will eventually overpower the leaders.

Dodds said: “I might end up with egg on my face, but I still think United will go on to win it — though all the pressure is on United. Hearts, Hibs, Rangers are no longer in this league; they are all back up in the Premiership and are stronger for it. So that puts real pressure on United. They are the big club down there, no disrespect to St Mirren, who are a well-run club. For St Mirren there’s certainly nothing like the pressure that is on United. And I think they feel that pressure.

“United have a good squad — they have a balance of experience and technically players. I think it will go right to the wire.”

Dodds, who won 26 Scotland caps, has been impressed by Jack Ross, the St Mirren manager, and his star player Lewis Morgan. The 21-year-old is set to complete a £300,000 move to Celtic this week and be loaned back to Saints for the rest of the season, which is a huge boost for the Renfrewshire club, according to Dodds.

He said: “Lewis Morgan is so positive. He gets a lot of ricochets when he goes forward. He reminds me of Leigh Griffiths although he’s obviously a different type of player. He bundles his way through, the ball bounces off him and he still gets his shot away. It’s a tremendous bit of business. The club are getting money and they are getting him for the rest of the season too.

“St Mirren have a good manager in place who kept them up and is getting his rewards now. He’s not a one hit wonder —he’s kept them up and he has pushed on. The question was ‘can they sustain their form from last season?’ He’s proved that they can.

“We played them pre-season at Ross County and beat them 5-0. And I think that was actually good for Jack because it gave him an idea where he was at. He’s added to his squad well.”

As for the rest, Dodds reckons plenty of them will be fighting for the other two play-off spots and several will be looking over their shoulders. He said: “Livingston have done brilliantly to be up there, although I think squad size will mean they will fade away. David Hopkin has got a real team spirit. Morton will be up there too.

“Inverness will probably be involved for a play-off spot. If they hadn’t had a horror start to the season, they would have been right in the mix. They are starting to gather momentum now.

“Dunfermline started well, but they have to be more consistent. I read their manager Allan Johnston saying they are not handling the home fans, so they need to sort that out. As for Falkirk, they have got to concentrate on getting out of the play-off place at the bottom. They still have a job to do.

“I think United and St Mirren will be fighting it out for the title. The table doesn’t lie. The rest, excluding Brechin City, are probably all battling for a play-off place.”

Don't see anything wrong with what been written :huh:  The last 2 lines says it all for me.

48 minutes ago, renfrew said:

Don't see anything wrong with what been written :huh:  The last 2 lines says it all for me.

He’s also right in saying United are under more pressure but I’m not sure he’s saying it for the right reason.

They are under pressure because they might not be able to survive another season in the Championship. 

I always liked Dodds because he put in a shift for the Scotland team , he is entitled to have his opinion , it is only an opinion. .

In my opinion , Paisley Saint Mirren will now remain at the top of the League for the rest of the season . I don't think Dundee Divided will do well in the playoffs . .in my opinion..

19 hours ago, 3 moffat buds said:

Dodds said: “I might end up with egg on my face.

Looking forward to that.

Totally agree with Dodds assessment....

United are Favs, however this will go to wire. He is hardly being controversial backing the favourites......

We really have put ourselves firmly in the driving seat here, only 8 games ago, we could have gone 5th, and here we are 15 points head of 5th....

The club seems geared to succeed this season, with United its more it has to happened, with us, its we want it to happen

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

This threads not went the way it was intended by the OP.  :rolleyes:

Overall quite a reasonable and balanced article.

On reflection you are probably correct - I will try to be more controversial in future !

However to suggest that the reason that Lewis Morgan is any good is because he is dependent on ricochets is just nonsense.

Also the phrase ‘no disrespect to St Mirren’ IMO means exactly the opposite.

Let’s hope the bit that comes true is the liberal spreading of egg on his coupon.

5 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

The article seems sensible to me. Balanced. He has an opinion.  Nothing wrong with that. And as he suggests himself he might be wrong.

Exactly. People are entitled to express their opinions.

I'm not sure where this modern phenomenon of taking offence at everything and constantly chucking personal abuse at those with differing views comes from.

Edited by oaksoft