St Mirren V ICT 6th Jan 2018

I said at the start of the season I wasn't sure about signing Gavin Reilly. I said I hoped he would prove me wrong. and I would like to admit publicly he has. 20 goal in all competitions is a great return. And his work rate is outstanding. Well done Gavin and let's see you get to 30 goals and fire us onto the Premier league.

The match was well worth the admission money. Great entertainment. Could have been out of sight in the first half and both endured a re-energised ICT performance in the second half and could also have scored. More games like this please (as long as we win).

Jimmy H and I have a mate who lives in Wick that’s a Caley fan. 

At the start of the season Jimmy offered him a £10, season long, rolling double or quits bet on our games against each other.  The big man smugly said make it £20.

So Jimmy is currently £80 up going into the last game. We’re both booked up to come up for the final game Easter weekend and James is coming down from Wick.

So, the moral of this story is that if we don’t win that day, you know whose fault it is and we’ll be in the Gellions post match if anyone wants to come and give him a slapping. 

McGinn's best game of the season.  Great to see Stelios back.

Imagine this team with Stevie Mallan in it.  If we just had that extra attacking threat from midfield we'd be looking at a league and cup double!

Glad to hear Jack is looking to make two signings.  We still have a gap to fill in the middle of the park and we need to be more clinical up front.

McGinn and Reilly were both tremendous today. Reilly is a complete workhorse and McGinn is unflappable, he never looks under pressure. 

Special mention to both centre halves too, especially as this was seen as a problem area in the first quarter. Jack Baird's game has come on leaps and bounds this season and even more so upon the return of Harry Davis. I hope that everyone who was sceptical about us signing him with his injury now understands why we waited on this guy getting fit again. He's head and shoulders above anyone in his position in this league and would stroll into the starting XI of about 70% of the Premier League and makes already good players like Baird look even better for playing beside him. He totally dominates and bosses forwards. So intelligent, never looks flustered, reads a game fantastically.

I thought Magennis going into middle for last 15 really shored us up and made us much stronger side. Magennis was box to box and has a real dig in him, way better player in that role than Mcshane who although a decent player is a bit lightweight IMO. Magennis offers us much more and is wasted out wide. Mullen coming on up beside Reilly makes Reilly more effective also as it gives him someone to play off. Would like to see just a bit more from Mullen but can see he's been out for a while and needs time.

Magennis for me is the next big export from St Mirren and for me he has the potential to be the best of the lot.

I'd start with the same team that finished next week with Eckersely in for Stelios if fit. 

Edited by lenziebud

Our home record is outstanding.
Played 11, won 9, drew 1 and lost 1. (A killer game TBH against Dumbarton)
Changed days when we could hardly win any games at home.
Remember Falkirk beating us 2-1 at home January/February 2017 (with most of our new players straight in at deep end). Did we lose another home game last season after that???

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
23 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Remember Falkirk beating us 2-1 at home January/February 2017 (with most of our new players straight in at deep end). Did we lose another home game last season after that???

Don't know but what I do know is most of the drama about our new ground being soulless has all but gone.

It was stating the bleeding obvious all we needed was to start, and keep, winning games and the new ground is more than ample for a club our size.

Thought both Magennis and McGinn were excellent today, as was Samson.

However, we need to improve our passing into the box when we cut in from the wings. The number of times we got ourselves into great positions down the wings only to put in a misplaced pass or an over hit cross was  unbelievable. We could have won that game at a canter with better delivery into the box.

Shooting more, as opposed to trying to walk the ball into the net would help too.

As much as Davis has helped greatly to shore up our defence, and he reads the game very well, I thought Oakley gave him a very difficult time today.

Overall a more consistent performance than recent games.:)

21 minutes ago, Ronnie said:
43 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

No. A year ago this weekend we lost 0-3 to a QotS team who had 3 new signings including John Rankin and we - myself included - lamented the fact that we didn't get any business done early. 

2 weeks later at the end of January, we lost 1-2 to a Falkirk side who played with a high tempo, aggressive manner and simply looked like there were more of them on the park than us. This was the last game we'd lose at home in the league until Dumbarton. It was also the last time that we were outplayed in any league match over 90 minutes until the 3-0 away defeat at East End Park. The only other home defeat we suffered in 2017 was 0-1 against Livi in a league cup match where we were bullied mercilessly. 

Edited by djchapsticks

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Jimmy H and I have a mate who lives in Wick that’s a Caley fan. 

At the start of the season Jimmy offered him a £10, season long, rolling double or quits bet on our games against each other.  The big man smugly said make it £20.

So Jimmy is currently £80 up going into the last game. We’re both booked up to come up for the final game Easter weekend and James is coming down from Wick.

So, the moral of this story is that if we don’t win that day, you know whose fault it is and we’ll be in the Gellions post match if anyone wants to come and give him a slapping. 

There's a Caley fan at my work - we have a £5/win bet settled at the end of the season. This is the first time I've won - even the season ICT were relegated it was all square in the H2H's.

No. A year ago this weekend we lost 0-3 to a QotS team who had 3 new signings including John Rankin and we - myself included - lamented the fact that we didn't get any business done early. 
2 weeks later at the end of January, we lost 1-2 to a Falkirk side who played with a high tempo, aggressive manner and simply looked like there were more of them on the park than us. This was the last game we'd lose at home in the league until Dumbarton. It was also the last time that we were outplayed in any league match over 90 minutes until the 3-0 away defeat at East End Park. The only other home defeat we suffered in 2017 was 0-1 against Livi in a league cup match where we were bullied mercilessly. 
I thought we had played quite well in the Falkirk defeat despite losing maybe comparing it to the earlier terrible performances made it look better than it actually was.

It's the best run of home form that I can remember but I sometimes walk to the kitchen and forgot why I went in there.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

I thought we had played quite well in the Falkirk defeat despite losing maybe comparing it to the earlier terrible performances made it look better than it actually was.

It's the best run of home form that I can remember but I sometimes walk to the kitchen and forgot why I went in there.

Me too,

I've no idea how I keep getting into your kitchen. 

:huh:

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

We weren't terrible against Falkirk. But it just seemed that anything we did that day, Falkirk were on top of us in an instant. They hounded us. 

Bit similar to Tuesday's game. Great in the first half, should have been a few more up, then let them back into it a bit and lucky not to concede. Was a bit Arsenalesque at times in that we seemed to want to score the perfect goal and walk the ball in rather than cross or shoot. Cammy Smith, who s one of my favourite players, was the main offender (even if he did eventually have a go in the second half) and the other Smith and Magennis were a bit like that at times too.

McGinn was tremendous in midfield, his dragback in the first half to send Morgan away before he got flattened was excellent.

Great win, funny that we're usually comically bad against Caley Thistle yet have won all three games against them, keeping two clean sheets in the process.