Sportsmans Dinners.

Buffs

Was at a sportsmans dinner last night in Kilwinning to raise money for local Scouts group.

Peter Martin, Tam Cowan and George McNeill were the speakers. Peter is excellent at being the MC, very quick witted and picks out his prey from the audience early on. Tam was outstanding. I had heard he can sometimes be a hit or a miss but was on top form last night with his non PC humour. For the auction he brought a signed Motherwell top which one of my mates won for £80. Decent price.

I was also sitting at a table with Alan Mahood. For an ex-ton he was a decent guy with some amusing stories.

I've been to a few of these nights and would say Peter Martin, Tam Cowan and Alan Rough have been the best speakers.

Any other recommendations?

Was at a sportsmans dinner last night in Kilwinning to raise money for local Scouts group.

Peter Martin, Tam Cowan and George McNeill were the speakers. Peter is excellent at being the MC, very quick witted and picks out his prey from the audience early on. Tam was outstanding. I had heard he can sometimes be a hit or a miss but was on top form last night with his non PC humour. For the auction he brought a signed Motherwell top which one of my mates won for £80. Decent price.

I was also sitting at a table with Alan Mahood. For an ex-ton he was a decent guy with some amusing stories.

I've been to a few of these nights and would say Peter Martin, Tam Cowan and Alan Rough have been the best speakers.

Any other recommendations?

I was at one with Alan Rough and Jimmy Nichol.
Both very funny.

• 9 months later...

Going to a dinner in the River Inn in Houston on Saturday night.

Chic Young is the MC with guests including Sir Steven Thomson, Sir Barry Lavety and James McFadden a long with another couple of guests.

I have been warned by the missus to keep my hands in my pockets if their is a St Mirren related auction.

Should be a cracking night.

Great night in Houston last night.

Chick held an interview style chat with Steven and Barry talking about growing up together and both playing number 9 for their beloved St Mirren. Obviously ripping the pish out of one another.

A quick vote of the 200 guests put Barry as the bigger St Mirren legend.

Great food and drink and the guest speakers were excellent. Chick was on great form. Very quick witted.

Wallet a bit lighter and head a bit delicate today.

• 3 years later...

Was at my fourth tonight... 

Guest speakers were Tam Cowan and Pierluigi Collina! Mind you... Collina reminded me a lot of former ref John Rowbotham, his mentor!

The night was riotlessly funny... Pee your pants funny!

Colli... Errrr Rowbotham regaled us with tale after tale from his refereeing days. Animated. Enigmatic. Engaging. Helluva funny too.

Cowan headlined. He wasn't as bad as I feared! He was actually ok. I quite liked him. He was funny. He made me laugh till I hurt laughing! It was the perfect comedy routine. 
I loved it! 

(A wee nod to Waldorf and Statler there)

Grrat night all round, in aid of two local charities. 

IMG_20221029_000105.jpg

IMG_20221029_000157.jpg