League or Cup

Drew

I appreciate that this is a debate we've had before, but thought it might be interesting on the eve of a Scottish Cup tie, and in the context of where we are sitting in the league just now.

I was asked by my Dons supporting colleague yesterday what my preference would be if presented with a choice of winning the cup or the league this year. My response, without hesitation, was that I would take the league. My colleague was initially very surprised by this.

My reasoning? Much as cup runs and wins are obviously fantastic for the club and fans, we need to be operating at the very highest level possible. The future of the club depends on optimising income on an ongoing, medium to long-term basis.

I want to see St Mirren in the top league. We currently have a more than decent chance of getting there at the end if this campaign, and I would forego a cup win to secure that right now if I could.

If we were sitting mid-table or in the lower reaches of the top league, I suspect my position might be a bit different, right enough.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear folks' thoughts based on our current circumstances as a club.

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

I appreciate that this is a debate we've had before, but thought it might be interesting on the eve of a Scottish Cup tie, and in the context of where we are sitting in the league just now.

I was asked by my Dons supporting colleague yesterday what my preference would be if presented with a choice of winning the cup or the league this year. My response, without hesitation, was that I would take the league. My colleague was initially very surprised by this.

My reasoning? Much as cup runs and wins are obviously fantastic for the club and fans, we need to be operating at the very highest level possible. The future of the club depends on optimising income on an ongoing, medium to long-term basis.

I want to see St Mirren in the top league. We currently have a more than decent chance of getting there at the end if this campaign, and I would forego a cup win to secure that right now if I could.

If we were sitting mid-table or in the lower reaches of the top league, I suspect my position might be a bit different, right enough.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear folks' thoughts based on our current circumstances as a club.

This is a no brainer league first and foremost the cup would be a nice wee bonus.

Just now, Brm63 said:

This is a no brainer league first and foremost the cup would be a nice wee bonus.

Aye, I thought so too, so was surprised by my colleague's reaction. I suspect it was based on his thinking from a Dons supporting perspective. As they are arguably unlikely to win the Premiership any time soon, the cup will have a bigger draw.

Surely its got to be the cup?

Think how fondy 87 is still looked back upon. These are the big and defining moments throughout any fans life supporting the club.

We will get back into the premier league at some point but winning the cup happens alot less frequently. 

If its the difference between the league and a cup RUN thats completely different. It would be the league every time as i think we have close to zero chance of actually winning the cup and ive got no appetite to see us get to a final or semi and getting beat over winning the league.

I said this yesterday and got shot down by some..................

But we cant really play a very weakened side and get humped..... its a wee bit of a catch 22. I would imagine the deciding factors are

This is the Second Best team in Scotland we are playing

Its on Telly

Its High Profile

We cant really lose here as long as we don't get Tanked

Morgan will want to show Tic what he is all about, and other players will be looking at this as an opportunity to shine

Jack, will be looking at this, to just how far we have come

As Tony said yesterday, and my first ever Saints game, was against a good United side 41 years ago who we thrashed, then went on to 13 years at the Top table...... I would take that scenario again !!!!

At this point in time, most folk will go for the league. This is based on the fact that we have a great chance of winning the league but we are very unlikely to win the cup.

If the question is that if a fairy god mother were to grant us a guarantee of winning either the league or the cup, which would you choose, then I'd go for the cup.

We've won this division 3 times in my lifetime and are on course to win it again. This is despite not actually competing for it in many seasons. And we don't even need to win it to gain promotion. If we don't win promotion this season then we WILL win it again.

We've only won the cup once in my lifetime however and in all probability, I'll never see us win it again.

Other than winning the top flight, I would trade seeing us win the cup once more for anything.

Ask any Hibs fan if he would rather have seen their team win the cup of the league in 2016.

56 minutes ago, zico said:

At this point in time, most folk will go for the league. This is based on the fact that we have a great chance of winning the league but we are very unlikely to win the cup.

If the question is that if a fairy god mother were to grant us a guarantee of winning either the league or the cup, which would you choose, then I'd go for the cup.

We've won this division 3 times in my lifetime and are on course to win it again. This is despite not actually competing for it in many seasons. And we don't even need to win it to gain promotion. If we don't win promotion this season then we WILL win it again.

We've only won the cup once in my lifetime however and in all probability, I'll never see us win it again.

Other than winning the top flight, I would trade seeing us win the cup once more for anything.

Ask any Hibs fan if he would rather have seen their team win the cup of the league in 2016.

Appreciate the input, and plenty of good points in there.

One point I would make, though, is that we currently have a very good young manager who is building a strong reputation, and also a number of excellent players who could easily play at a higher level. We are fortunate on both counts.

It might just be that this is our best chance of securing a a league winning season. If we don't, can we be confident that Jack and James will still be here for the next campaign. What about the likes of McGinn, Davis, Reilly, Smith, Magennis, Baird, and several others? Would they hang about for another stab at the Championship if suitors elsewhere express an interest.

I wouldn't be too confident about the planets aligning in the way they have this past year any time soon in the future. For that reason, along with those I mentioned earlier, it has to be the league for me.

Aye, give me the choice just now, and there is no contest.

An absolute ludicrous Thread. 

One starts it talking shite and most follow like fecking sheep. 

NO BRAINER ?  FECKING BOLLOX. 

Cup and League Matches are not played at the same time on the same day . Usually a week apart. 

SO THERE IS NO PRIORITY. 

TRY WIN BOTH. 

And for the numpties on this Thread. 

Try think for yourself. 

:lol: NO BRAINER FFS :lol:

Stick yir non existent priorities. 

Edited by shull

5 minutes ago, shull said:

An absolute ludicrous Thread. 

One starts it talking shite and most follow like fecking sheep. 

NO BRAINER ?  FECKING BOLLOX. 

Cup and League Matches are not played at the same time on the same day . Usually a week apart. 

SO THERE IS NO PRIORITY. 

TRY WIN BOTH. 

And for the numpties on this Thread. 

Try think for yourself. 

:lol: NO BRAINER FFS :lol:

Stick yir non existent priorities. 

So much for the ---Love, Peace and Respect your fellow Humans Shull from yesterday :wacko:

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

Appreciate the input, and plenty of good points in there.

One point I would make, though, is that we currently have a very good young manager who is building a strong reputation, and also a number of excellent players who could easily play at a higher level. We are fortunate on both counts.

It might just be that this is our best chance of securing a a league winning season. If we don't, can we be confident that Jack and James will still be here for the next campaign. What about the likes of McGinn, Davis, Reilly, Smith, Magennis, Baird, and several others? Would they hang about for another stab at the Championship if suitors elsewhere express an interest.

I wouldn't be too confident about the planets aligning in the way they have this past year any time soon in the future. For that reason, along with those I mentioned earlier, it has to be the league for me.

Aye, give me the choice just now, and there is no contest.

Personally, I would be okay with spending another 20 years in this league if we could win the Scottish Cup instead.