One Club Player

Saw the sad news that Jimmy Armfield had died earlier today and noticed that he'd only played with one club, Blackpool.

I was wondering who the last player who spent his entire career at Saints was - probably Norrie McWhirter although his career ended a bit prematurely due to injury. Hugh Murray was a first team player for longer but he spent a brief period at Partick Thistle after leaving us. 

Amazingly the player with the longest continuous service with the club presently is Jack Baird who signed from Youth Development in May 2015 and is still only 21, (Lewis Morgan is excluded as altho' he signed at the same time as JB he's now a Celtic player on loan with us). We'll probably never see another Testimonial game for a Saints player again.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I wouldnt say we'll never see a saints player get a testimonial again.

Baird had got a decent chance of it. Hes in the right mid range of ability where he's good enough to stay at us and still get a game with improvement, but not too good where a bigger team will come in for him. 

Cheesy played for us for long enough in the premier league and I think Baird is a step up from him. Can see him being here a long time.

7 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Saw the sad news that Jimmy Armfield had died earlier today and noticed that he'd only played with one club, Blackpool.

I was wondering who the last player who spent his entire career at Saints was - probably Norrie McWhirter although his career ended a bit prematurely due to injury. Hugh Murray was a first team player for longer but he spent a brief period at Partick Thistle after leaving us. 

Amazingly the player with the longest continuous service with the club presently is Jack Baird who signed from Youth Development in May 2015 and is still only 21, (Lewis Morgan is excluded as altho' he signed at the same time as JB he's now a Celtic player on loan with us). We'll probably never see another Testimonial game for a Saints player again.

Don't think the lack of another testimonial is a bad thing , Hugh Murray only had around 1000 fans that night at LS to watch Saints cruise a win against Billy Davies' Derby County which was bit embarrassing. .

7 minutes ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Don't think the lack of another testimonial is a bad thing , Hugh Murray only had around 1000 fans that night at LS to watch Saints cruise a win against Billy Davies' Derby County which was bit embarrassing. .

Felt gutted for Murray that night and embarrassment. 

10 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Felt gutted for Murray that night and embarrassment. 

Yes and no. Got to remember, there was also the legends game at Barrhead where a good few thousand turned out too.

from memory, there was a degree of overkill with it all, plus we weren’t that great to watch at the time! Didn’t we have an Algerian on trial that night, played with United?

Yes and no. Got to remember, there was also the legends game at Barrhead where a good few thousand turned out too.
from memory, there was a degree of overkill with it all, plus we weren’t that great to watch at the time! Didn’t we have an Algerian on trial that night, played with United?
There was also memorabilia, I still use my Shug Mug daily.

31 minutes ago, Hambud said:
32 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
Hugh Murray left for Mansfield (?) when out of contract before returning a few months later.

He never signed for Mansfield.

Who could blame him if he did the guy only wanted to better his family too many fans were up in arms that he would leave us. 

37 minutes ago, Hambud said:
1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

There was also memorabilia, I still use my chug Mug daily.

:o

16 hours ago, LargsBud said:

Baird had got a decent chance of it. Hes in the right mid range of ability where he's good enough to stay at us and still get a game with improvement, but not too good where a bigger team will come in for him. 

Cheesy played for us for long enough in the premier league and I think Baird is a step up from him. Can see him being here a long time.

And with that ringing endorsement...

2 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Barrhead? Do you mean Braehead. .

18 hours ago, LargsBud said:

Agree in general but If he keeps improving Baird might well catch the eyes of bigger teams - only 21 and already with over 100 appearances.

Guest TPAFKATS
He never signed for Mansfield.
Who could blame him if he did the guy only wanted to better his family too many fans were up in arms that he would leave us. 
He didn't turn down Mansfield due to love of St. Mirren and being a one team player.

I wasn't having a dig at Murray just offering some additional information.