EXPECTATIONS !

7 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Put yourself in Jack Ross's boots its May we have won the league what players are you going to let go so the squad in your terms can compete ? 

I would draw up (in conjunction with my coaching/scouting team) my skills/performance matrix with a qualifying level set against premiership standards, and complete it for each player, then offer extensions/new contracts to those who met or exceeded the target. I would then use it to identify possible available players to recruit to complete the squad.

but thats just me.

25 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I would draw up (in conjunction with my coaching/scouting team) my skills/performance matrix with a qualifying level set against premiership standards, and complete it for each player, then offer extensions/new contracts to those who met or exceeded the target. I would then use it to identify possible available players to recruit to complete the squad.

but thats just me.

What about the players that accept other offers, even though we wanted to keep them..

I would bet the list is pretty much drawn up already, but players might be offered other options... and targets, many of them will already be considered possibilities...

The point is you, nor I, nor any of us on here get to do this - it's the managements job - we can but speculate... but let's not... we don't want any player to think that we don't rate them highly enough - we want them to give their all and we win this league..

Many of us thought Utd would probably win the league with Falkirk, ICT, US, Morton, QOS and Dunfermline fighting for  the play-offs

While Saints and Livingstone have performed above expectations - Falkirk especially, ICT, and Morton  have perhaps performed below expectations. Maybe QOS are where we expected?

OK Falkirk and ICT may well push on for the rest of the season, but hopefully that will go in our favour too. More teams to take away wins from Utd and Dunfermline - it is harder to catch 1 point at a time... (i.e. 8 draws = 8 points & 3 wins = 9 points)

This Friday...  O H  COYS

6 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Tell me any team in the world that doesn't have relative ups and downs, maybe football is a wee bit scary for you

Maybe we are just from different schools, but I support to believe that there is a plan and players to do something. Mate we are 8 points clear.  Who the hell is thinking about a play off - are u Elvis??

How is your gut feeling on Nuclear War, Global Warming, Trump and the Sun exploding soon.................... Never heard of the terminology glass quarter full before?

But as they say in the Big Lebowski- " That's only your opinion man "

Image result for big lebowski

As my opening line stated the biggest issue with expectations is managing them. You clearly think we have it wrapped up going by your response, my instinct says it is not all over. I'm usually pretty positive and as I said it's not something I can put my finger on, I just don't have the same confidence I had in previous league winning seasons. A win on Friday would be huge let's hope for that and take each week as it comes.

38 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

As my opening line stated the biggest issue with expectations is managing them. You clearly think we have it wrapped up going by your response, my instinct says it is not all over. I'm usually pretty positive and as I said it's not something I can put my finger on, I just don't have the same confidence I had in previous league winning seasons. A win on Friday would be huge let's hope for that and take each week as it comes.

I don't think we have it all wrapped up, but I do think it is within our hands much more than I think most of us would have expected - even after the first quarter.. I perfectly understand your instinct.. if the lead starts to reduce, the pressure can really get to teams..

I do think we and the others will drop a number of points ... time will tell if we drop at least 8 more than Utd... none of us hope that we do and if we add more distance this weekend, it would be a tall order for them I think..

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:48 PM, LargsBud said:

I expected us to win the league at the start of the season and nothing has changed my mind on that. 

You mean that at start with no games played you expected us to win league but 22 games in with an 8 point lead you still expect us to win !!

That's some statement.

Welcome on Board fellow  Bud

On 1/24/2018 at 12:30 PM, DougJamie said:

Not being complacent but as we all know Saints, even when we struggled every year in the Premier, we always bar ,2014, pulled it out the bag,

We went into the split in 2013/4 facing the drop and finished 8th... if that's not pulling it out the bag then what is?

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

We went into the split in 2013/4 facing the drop and finished 8th... if that's not pulling it out the bag then what is?

Yes sir, I meant 2014-15................. forgot how many smart asssss there were on here :P

Yes remember that well. KM scoring against Hibs in 12 seconds, Danny doing a great job, and then getting the sack . The Old BOD setting us back 10 years by being tight gits.....

This is a dog eat dog league.

There is no Manchester City in this league that is SO MUCH better than the rest, but there is one that has kicked on from this time last year and continued the form they carried from January through to May :clapping

However I am a supporter that has been through thick and thin with this club from as far back as I can remember as an eight year old when my Dad lifted me over the turnstiles at LS, so I never take anything for granted and I never think it's over until Ella Fitzgerald is belting out her classics.

Keep winning and let nature take its course with the rest of the teams over the next three months and we should do ok!

10 hours ago, Gordon Urquhart said:

Win this Championship. The end.

I get your sentiment, but win this league and it is the start of being back in with the best in Scottish Football - where we do belong...

People say this league is dog eat dog, but the one above is full of fighters and teams with more talent on average that this one...

Continuous improvement all the way, even after we are in the top 6 consistently....

So how is everyone feeling after yesterday and today's results?

EXPECTATIONS HIGH ... ...  ....  . .  .

Here are next weeks fixtures  :-

Saturday 3rd February

• Dumbarton15:00Brechin City

• Falkirk15:00Livingston

• Inverness Caledonian Thistle15:00Dundee United

• Greenock Morton15:00Dunfermline

• St Mirren15:00Queen of the South

23 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

So how is everyone feeling after yesterday and today's results?

EXPECTATIONS HIGH ... ...  ....  . .  .

Here are next weeks fixtures  :-

Saturday 3rd February

• Dumbarton15:00Brechin City
  • Falkirk15:00Livingston
  • Inverness Caledonian Thistle15:00Dundee United
  • Greenock Morton15:00Dunfermline
  • St Mirren15:00Queen of the South

As i stated elsewhere if we win and they lose next week it's over... We will not lose 4 games more than then between now and the end of the season. And i think their opponents next week are every bit as dangerous a proposition as Morton were today.  We just need to keep concentrating on a game at a time and winning, even if the majority are winning ugly...

Not good reading if you are a Utd fan.

Last 6 matches (HOME AND AWAY)

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts 2.5+
1 St Mirren 6 5 1 0 11 4 +7 16 33%
2 Falkirk 6 4 0 2 14 10 +4 12 67%
3 Inverness 6 3 1 2 12 9 +3 10 67%
4 Livingston 6 3 1 2 9 6 +3 10 33%
5 Dunfermline 6 3 1 2 6 4 +2 10 33%
6 Morton 6 2 2 2 6 5 +1 8 17%
7 Queen of South 6 2 1 3 9 10 -1 7 67%
8 Dundee Utd 6 2 1 3 8 12 -4 7 67%
9 Dumbarton 6 0 2 4 1 9 -8 2 17%
10 Brechin City 6 0 1 5 6 15 -9 1 67%

I’ve just opened this on my iPad and it doesn’t make good reading on that either !! Text is all scrambled .

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

As things stand we can only lose the league so there's no room for any complaceny. We need the players to continue working  hard like they have been and we need the support to push the team on in every game until the end of the season.

On Utd, Livi have a game in hand over them (2 over us), if they win that game it puts them one point behind Utd. I wonder how they'd handle the pressure of not only trying to catch us but also making sure they aren't caught by Livi.  

3 hours ago, bud77 said:

As things stand we can only lose the league so there's no room for any complaceny. We need the players to continue working  hard like they have been and we need the support to push the team on in every game until the end of the season.

On Utd, Livi have a game in hand over them (2 over us), if they win that game it puts them one point behind Utd. I wonder how they'd handle the pressure of not only trying to catch us but also making sure they aren't caught by Livi.  

I noticed this too... Livi have not been on the best of runs either recently but still doing better that Utd. (Only 3 points more over the last 6 games) So if that continues then they could well pass them..

The big deal is that 6 teams are fighting for the play-off positions.. it means that Utd and us might get more draws and defeats but that should only make it more difficult to catch us.. unless they have a flawless run - which does seem highly unlikely...

I noticed this too... Livi have not been on the best of runs either recently but still doing better that Utd. (Only 3 points more over the last 6 games) So if that continues then they could well pass them..
The big deal is that 6 teams are fighting for the play-off positions.. it means that Utd and us might get more draws and defeats but that should only make it more difficult to catch us.. unless they have a flawless run - which does seem highly unlikely...
On route to daughters swimming lesson heard Neil Alexander on Radio Scotland talking about the championship in general and basically said St Mirren will win the league and they have targeted beating Dundee United into 2nd, he also said he was quite happy for St Mirren to keep winning as that means we are taking points off their play off rivals.

They spoke about Dundee United after this and were saying that they thought they could end up out the play offs if they keep going the way they have recently.

Now that would be quite funny.

7 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

6 teams are fighting for the play-off positions.. it means that Utd and us might get more draws and defeats but that should only make it more difficult to catch us.. unless they have a flawless run - which does seem highly unlikely...

Of our 13 games the following 6 are probably the most winnable:

1. Brechin (home)

2. Dumbarton (home)

3. Brechin (away)

4. QotS (home)

5. Livingston (home)

6. Morton (home)

If we were to win just these 6 and lose the other 7 then that would put us on 69 points.

It would be a fairly modest target considering we've only lost 4 games all season. Even given that big dip in form, to overtake us, United would still have to win 8 games and draw the other 6 or win at least 9. 

Scared to say it, but yeah it's looking good! 

On 25/01/2018 at 6:04 PM, The Original 59er said:

This is a dog eat dog league.

There is no Manchester City in this league that is SO MUCH better than the rest, but there is one that has kicked on from this time last year and continued the form they carried from January through to May :clapping

However I am a supporter that has been through thick and thin with this club from as far back as I can remember as an eight year old when my Dad lifted me over the turnstiles at LS, so I never take anything for granted and I never think it's over until Ella Fitzgerald is belting out her classics.

Keep winning and let nature take its course with the rest of the teams over the next three months and we should do ok!

I think you will find we do have a Manchester City in this league. :whistle We have not lost in the league since the 2nd of December 2017 and since then have won 7 and drawn 1. Its absoulutely outstanding in a league where apparently (Brechin aside) anyone can beat anyone!!

I would agree that being a buddie we take nothing for granted, and neither will the team or management. The league table does not lie though. This is a special team with a special manager. Enjoy and show a bit more confidence in them. 

We're on our way!! :clapping

Next weeks fixture list is a Belter

Top 4 playing 5th,6th,7th and 8th

The league could look really different next Saturday night depending how things go

Out of the top 4 teams its only us that play at home

Queens are good middle to front but have a shit defence

Factoring in the fixtures for next week this would be a very very important game to win

17 hours ago, Mr Optimistic said:

I think you will find we do have a Manchester City in this league. :whistle We have not lost in the league since the 2nd of December 2017 and since then have won 7 and drawn 1. Its absoulutely outstanding in a league where apparently (Brechin aside) anyone can beat anyone!!

I would agree that being a buddie we take nothing for granted, and neither will the team or management. The league table does not lie though. This is a special team with a special manager. Enjoy and show a bit more confidence in them. 

We're on our way!! :clapping

Oh believe me I am enjoying it, I just can't quite grab the optimism bug to the same extent that others have contracted over the last two games.

I will be there for them, I will suffer the roller coaster and I will celebrate and let Ella belt out 'Summertime' when that final point in the season has been reached. 

22 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Did anyone here Stevie Thompson on tv last night regarding Celtics striker crisis that they should go and get Dobbie as a stand in striker. I agree go get him  :rolleyes:

We don't need a stand in striker... we need one who will improve us and be part of the future - not the short term..

As it stands we don't really need another striker if everyone stays fit and avoids suspension. The advantage of getting in someone better now , as well as adding something better,  is that they will be part of the Championship winning squad which transitions to the Premiership. So they will be in, up to speed and part of the foundations for next season..

Sorry but Dobbie (aged 35) is not one for the future and we don't have the same short term needs as Celtic.. we need to be building for the next level up or saving our money for then