VAR

cambiebud

I didn’t think it was a penalty even after seeing the replay, over and over again. Salah was never getting to it and threw himself down. The main problem however, is the delays. The game was being played at a cracking pace, but these interruptions have killed it. If we ever get the system here, I can see games involving either of the bigot brothers lasting over 2 hours!

10 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

I didn’t think it was a penalty even after seeing the replay, over and over again. Salah was never getting to it and threw himself down. The main problem however, is the delays. The game was being played at a cracking pace, but these interruptions have killed it. If we ever get the system here, I can see games involving either of the bigot brothers lasting over 2 hours!

Much ado about nothing.

You surprisingly failed to mention the offside decision tool a minute max.

Yes, the penalty took longer, due to the ref wanting to see for himself.

Salah made the most of it but did he get tugged? 

Killed it........................aye, drama queen right enough. :lol:

PS Why are you thinking of the OF? :blink:

Again, would you be happy if St MIrren lost a game due to a bad decision when it could have been reversed with this technology?

Edited by faraway saint

8 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

I agree.

Contact was minimal. It's not as if he grabbed hold of his shirt.

Is there a limit or can you just ask for one every time a goal is scored against you?

The football experience is becoming anodyne enough without the removing the opportunity for discussing a controversial moment after the game .

These things generally even themselves out over the season. I like the outrage that dodgy goals spark between opposing supporters.

21 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I agree.

Contact was minimal. It's not as if he grabbed hold of his shirt.

Is there a limit or can you just ask for one every time a goal is scored against you?

The football experience is becoming anodyne enough without the removing the opportunity for discussing a controversial moment after the game .

These things generally even themselves out over the season. I like the outrage that dodgy goals spark between opposing supporters.

VAR is great for those who consume their football by way of television, less so for those in the stadiums. 

1 minute ago, scottd said:

VAR is great for those who consume their football by way of television, less so for those in the stadiums. 

You could have a point, but then again I see it as coming to the correct decision, that's for the good of the game IMO. 

It's early days, and any change is difficult for some people.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes. 

The thing about this use of technology is nobody actually asked the supporters if they want controversial decisions removed from the game! 

Cricket and rugby are stop start games anyway, so you don't lose too much of the nature of the game by going to a TV replay.

Just keep it as it bloody is!  It's the most popular sport on the planet for a reason.

Stop/start.............nothing point, as the time taken is minimal and there is time taken when decisions are controversial with players surrounding the referee.

Every sport can be improved, tennis has been massively improved by the use of hawk eye technology.

It's in the interests of every club that the correct decision is reached.

Last night, the penalty decision, was an exception in the time taken, the Chelsea v Arsenal game was a game VAR was used and passed with little or no comment on here.

It's early days, it'll be improved.

I get the point that Scott made that it's probably better for the TV viewing audience as it's clearer what's going on and the authorities are aware of this and are looking at this. 

PS For the punters who like a bet, just imagine you'd lost a bet for a mistake made by a referee that could have been overturned by VAR. :rolleyes:

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Stop/start.............nothing point, as the time taken is minimal and there is time taken when decisions are controversial with players surrounding the referee.

Every sport can be improved, tennis has been massively improved by the use of hawk eye technology.

It's in the interests of every club that the correct decision is reached.

Last night, the penalty decision, was an exception in the time taken, the Chelsea v Arsenal game was a game VAR was used and passed with little or no comment on here.

It's early days, it'll be improved.

I get the point that Scott made that it's probably better for the TV viewing audience as it's clearer what's going on and the authorities are aware of this and are looking at this. 

PS For the punters who like a bet, just imagine you'd lost a bet for a mistake made by a referee that could have been overturned by VAR. :rolleyes:

For me, that was because I didn't watch that game.

Last night was my first experience of its use and it just didn't seem right.

One thing I did notice was that outrage from the players when a goal hasn't been awarded to their team, seems to have been replaced by outraged opposition players converging on the referee when the call for VAR to be used is issued. That type of behaviour made the process even longer. Maybe a couple of bookings might sort that out, but as history has proven , players will protest no matter what potential punishments are in place.

Maybe it will get better, and I can see the benefit of the system, but for me , if there isn't already, there must be a limit for teams, as to the number of times that VAR can be used.

13 hours ago, cambiebud said:

I think it takes a lot out of the game. Yes. Have someone independent monitoring officials to ensure any mistakes ARE honest mistakes. But controversy is all part and parcel of the game. We are in danger of sanitising the sport to the extent interest will wain. How many hours have we punters spent in the pub arguing  discussing points of view over refs decisions. I hope it falls apart and we can all get back to blaming the ref for everything but the apocalypse.

Wait. I think that's their fault too.

Feckin' Willie Collum!