Dundee Utd v St Mirren, 10th April 2018

It was much, much better than Brechin on Saturday, in almost every way. Which sounds crazy, as we won at Brechin and lost last night. There was a different dynamic at play in each game obviously, but at Brechin, St Mirren hardly kicked a ball after going 1-0 up. The game rapidly descended into a complete non-event. A huge St Mirren crowd at Brechin were completely silent for long periods. Only punctuated by massive roars as the Morton score, for a while, looked important for us. The Brechin game, first ten minutes aside, was frankly a bloody awful game of football.
Last night, IMHO, was what football, and more importantly, following St Mirren is all about. The game roared along for the full 90 mins and both teams never let up. I agree with many other comments, we lacked composure at times, just wasn’t our night, but I enjoyed that a hundred times more than Brechin. We gave it everything, bust a gut trying to get the equaliser. The support was simply outstanding. The atmosphere before kick off continued the entire night. There was incident, controversy, battles all over the field, everyone stood up the entire game.... I just thought back to the days we loyally racked up to home games - and it was just shit. We knew before going in we’d get beat....lowest scorers in Britain, worst home record in Britain maybe? It was a chore, the place was like a morgue. Those days weren’t that long ago. Last night, for all it’s shortcomings in certain areas of our play, was exciting, meaningful, and we were well up for the fight.
Feckin’ M80 though.

Agree. The Brechin game was torture. We did not play well. Enjoyed last night much more despite the result.

Sorry everyone but I have to come clean. We didn't lose last night because we were out muscled, poor refereeing, lack of composure or anything else - it's because I wasn't wearing one of my lucky tops. And I forgot my scarf! Can't believe the scarf. We may be on holiday but how on earth did I manage to leave the house without a scarf?

Sorry....

Tactically poor towards the end last night - turns out Jack Ross isn't the messiah after all.

We enjoyed some success down the channels, I don't know why we didn't keep doing that.  I'm sure we would have found more space as the game went on and United tired.

It's farewell to John Sutton, in hindsight he shouldn't have been brought on as we just started lumping the ball to him at that point without success.  What an end to his Saints career it would have been though, inches away from the goal that one us the league.  Has Jack Ross' attention wandered to securing a Hollywood screenplay rather than the title? (And whats happened to that Leicester movie btw?)

As I said after Brechin, I hope to see Gavin Reilly reinstated to his rightful place leading the line.

Overall felt we deserved a draw, we were decent enough and with a bit more composure around the box would have won the game by a few.  Having said that, the United woodwork had more work to do than their keeper.  There's something missing up front that will need to be fixed over the summer.

I'd take Moshni in our team next season.  Obviously a bit of a loose cannon but what a difference he has made to that previously soft as shite United defence.

4 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Sorry everyone but I have to come clean. We didn't lose last night because we were out muscled, poor refereeing, lack of composure or anything else - it's because I wasn't wearing one of my lucky tops. And I forgot my scarf! Can't believe the scarf. We may be on holiday but how on earth did I manage to leave the house without a scarf?

Sorry....

Well don't do it again........ Jack will not calling you "top man", more likely "Prick!!!!":P

32 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Tactically poor towards the end last night - turns out Jack Ross isn't the messiah after all.

We enjoyed some success down the channels, I don't know why we didn't keep doing that.  I'm sure we would have found more space as the game went on and United tired.

It's farewell to John Sutton, in hindsight he shouldn't have been brought on as we just started lumping the ball to him at that point without success.  What an end to his Saints career it would have been though, inches away from the goal that one us the league.  Has Jack Ross' attention wandered to securing a Hollywood screenplay rather than the title? (And whats happened to that Leicester movie btw?)

As I said after Brechin, I hope to see Gavin Reilly reinstated to his rightful place leading the line.

Overall felt we deserved a draw, we were decent enough and with a bit more composure around the box would have won the game by a few.  Having said that, the United woodwork had more work to do than their keeper.  There's something missing up front that will need to be fixed over the summer.

I'd take Moshni in our team next season.  Obviously a bit of a loose cannon but what a difference he has made to that previously soft as shite United defence.

I felt we had started pumping it in to the box before he came on. At least with him on there was a chance we might win a header.

Upwards and onwards.

COYS

1 minute ago, Desnold said:

I felt we had started pumping it in to the box before he came on. At least with him on there was a chance we might win a header.

Upwards and onwards.

COYS

It was pumped forward but seldom anywhere near Sutton, and i am trying to get my head round the tactics in bring Reilly on, but shelling/throwing every ball two feet above his jumping height???

Guest TPAFKATS
Did I just see someone suggest that we sign Mohsni for the top flight [emoji38]
Jesus f**ken wept that’s one way to guarantee a quick return to the championship. 
His head was like a magnet for the ball in the second half last night. Thought he was probably their best player.

Not suggesting we sign him though.

24 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

His head was like a magnet for the ball in the second half last night. Thought he was probably their best player.

It’s not difficult to stand out in a team like Dundee Utd who are a quite  dreadful outfit. Doesn’t say much for us last night as we huffed and puffed our way through a nervous shitfest of a game.

We really don’t need players for the top flight who failed with one of the worst sides in the dead clubs history. There are plenty of better options that I’m sure Jack will explore before considering such a liability like Mohsni.

28 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I agree.  The big halfwit had a great game and did nothing but frustrate us continually.  Without him playing as well as he did the outcome may have been different.

Ach well Saturday it is

It was disappointing to suffer out first loss in seven games, but we've reacted well to losing in the past. We haven't had many draws this season, it's been win or lose, the style we play is very all or nothing. As strange as it may sound, I actually think we came out the traps a bit too hard last night. The goal came from leaving too much space in the midfield as they were pushed up too hard and Smith flying into a challenge he was never going to win and taking himself out the game. A wee bit more composure and one or two guys taking a step back instead would have probably seen it avoided. Same thing happened in the second half where Samson's wonder save kept the game alive.

24 minutes ago, norman said:

It was disappointing to suffer out first loss in seven games, but we've reacted well to losing in the past. We haven't had many draws this season, it's been win or lose, the style we play is very all or nothing. As strange as it may sound, I actually think we came out the traps a bit too hard last night. The goal came from leaving too much space in the midfield as they were pushed up too hard and Smith flying into a challenge he was never going to win and taking himself out the game. A wee bit more composure and one or two guys taking a step back instead would have probably seen it avoided. Same thing happened in the second half where Samson's wonder save kept the game alive.

:lol:

I have to laugh at people criticising JR for bringing on Sutton (and Hippolyte? ) last night. 

Sutton and Hippolyte were brought on as they are forwards, and we were hunting a goal. Quite simple, really.

The match was akin to a cup tie where you will pretty much throw caution to the wind and throw everything forward to try and get back on terms. We were battering them at the end but their defence held out and they got lucky on a few occasions with fortuitous breaks of the ball.

Let's face it, if the ball had ricocheted in off big John's arse, he would have been the hero today. It wasn't to be. Get over it and look out your party pants for Saturday!

37 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

It's all Jack Ross's fault we could win the league with 5 matches remaining. What was he ever thinking, its so clear that others know better than him all the time. emoji23.png

Some people still seem to be very upset about making fools of themselves earlier on in the season. Any defeat the knives come out for the manager and certain players. It's generally a minority though, all true supporters of Saints are delighted with the way this season has gone and the people who made it happen.

True supporters :lol:

What about the Occasional True Supporters ? 

You can only be a true supporter if you cannae think for yourself and rigidly follow the party line. 

FECKING BOLLOX :lol:

We’re 12 points ahead with four games left... party on Saturday! It would have been nice last night but we have 4 more chances to get 1 point. This is down to Jack Ross being manager. As Drew said he threw on attacking players hoping for a goal, even a lucky deflection... anything. It didn’t happen but it will, most likely this Saturday.

5 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

I know we should just think of one game at a time etc, and i have no doubt we will be champions. My curve ball is that we know how Livi will play, as will Falkirk, both much like Utd last night, but more effectively. If we line up, and play like last night can we really expect a different result agsinst them?

however........... Morton play a bit of football..! Just saying, not hoping, but preparing for the eventuality that at home against our rivals could end up being The Day..? Just sayin like...

Did United tear us a sore one out with tackles lol. No did we hit the wood work twice on another day they would have went in. I quite enjoyed  the game you could see who was top of the league in my eyes. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

10 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Been a huge disaster of a night. Saints tried so no complaints from me for the football. Came out of Dundee filled my petrol car up with diesel unknown to me. driving down the road something was wrong lost power. called out road assist.  More than 30 years driving have never done that shitting myself at the cost to fix this. Got to my hotel in Gourock the back of 3am manager stayed up to let me in.  Gutted and feel stupid  :wub: 

Reveal hidden contents

You should have went to..........Morrisons.

20180411_134003.jpg

16 minutes ago, norman said:

Seems I touched a nerve with my last comment, but people who put their own personal and abusive vendettas over the good of the club are not true supporters of St Mirren f.c. I wasn't going to name names, but Shull is one of those people. 

Top class Comedian you are Norrie. 

No abuse or vendettas from me. 

Just honest opinion.