Dundee Utd v St Mirren, 10th April 2018

26 minutes ago, Tam M said:

Calm down... the bigger the crowd the better.

Just stated last two games have probably been poor in comparison to away games I've been to, makes it difficult for a good sing song to get going, and lack of noise won't help the players nerves as we try and get over the finishing line.

Are you f**king serious?

Bloody hell....

Just home. Feckin’ M80 completely shut. Feck, feck, feckin’ feck. Some random feckin’ thoughts...

Amazing support tonight. Plenty effort from the team, but just wasn’t our night. Hit the woodwork twice- but they could have scored another two easily. The referee was a useless wee scrote - but he never cost us the game. Our lack of guile and ability to carve out any clear second-half chances cost us the point we needed. 

Hippolyte’s long throws were a weapon. Sutton looked understandably rusty. Morgan tried hard but nothing much came off for him. McGinn never needed to shove the guy, even though it was a bad challenge from the United player, cheap booking, now suspended.

That’s about it. The referee should surely have booked Gollum too. I lost count of how many fouls Flood was allowed to make.

Feckin’ M80.

Edit: Did anyone else, on the way out of Tannadice, encounter the United fan using two walking sticks (he looked in his late 60s), who was walking past Saints fans and shouting ‘ruined your party! Ha! Where’s your party then?’

Decrepit auld cnut. We were simply walking down the street saying nothing, heading back to town. Other fans told him to shut up, get a grip, act his age etc. For my sins, I shouted ‘enjoy your visits to Greenock next season you gobshite’.... I’m not proud, but frankly he brought it upon himself. :P

Edited by pozbaird

55 minutes ago, RichardBuddie said:

Thought I was going nuts, I’ve travelled that road hundreds of times (to Aberdeen and back), was a difficult drive in the dark, next thing I know is I’m heading for Grangemouth. Absolutely knackered!!

The diversions were shocking too! - we went round the roundabout TWICE trying to figure what route to take! (A bit like McGinn on the ball tonight!!)

We looked as if the pressure tonight was a bit much. Rushed everything when we could have done with a bit more composure. Utd were lucky to still have 11 on the park at half-time. They made Livi look like Man City. Desperate defending in depth from Utd second half with no space for us to work in. But onwards to Saturday and the League.

Been a huge disaster of a night. Saints tried so no complaints from me for the football. Came out of Dundee filled my petrol car up with diesel unknown to me. driving down the road something was wrong lost power. called out road assist.  More than 30 years driving have never done that shitting myself at the cost to fix this. Got to my hotel in Gourock the back of 3am manager stayed up to let me in.  Gutted and feel stupid  :wub: 

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Been a huge disaster of a night. Saints tried so no complaints from me for the football. Came out of Dundee filled my petrol car up with diesel unknown to me. driving down the road something was wrong lost power. called out road assist.  More than 30 years driving have never done that shitting myself at the cost to fix this. Got to my hotel in Gourock the back of 3am manager stayed up to let me in.  Gutted and feel stupid  :wub: 

Reveal hidden contents

. It's a bassa doing that. Only done it once myself and it was 35 years ago. I felt mightily stupid. 

I put Diesel in a Petrol Pick Up Truck. My reasoning being there was a large D on the fuel Cap. 

Never realised at the time that D stood for Datsun. 

Me Fud. 

They came out with a plan to kick feck out of us & stuck to it, not criticising JR but thought he should made the changes earlier. We had 58% of the play but nothing show for it, I’m not disappointed coz we’re still going to win the league & it’ll be at home. Livingston will come out to stop us playing too but hopefully we get that point to make us champions.

In hindsight I think a draw would have been a fair result last night. We started slow and were caught cold but after that we were worthy of a point and with a wee bit of luck we’d have got it. It was a shame the way the game turned out because the fans and players wanted a party against them and it shows you how far we’ve came when a 1-0 loss away at Tannadice leaves us gutted. I thought the support was superb last night and a goal would have seen us rip the roof off the shed. It wasn’t to be but we can put it to bed at home on Saturday and I think we will.

As others have stated, we started slow and paid the price. I expected us to come flying out of the trap like they did. Not sure why we didn’t? Maybe nerves, which is understandable.

We didn’t pass the ball well at all as they pressed us all over the park making us knock it long and Mohsni cleaned up all night. Maybe Jack should have changed the approach earlier but hey ho. We’re champions in waiting and we’ll finish the job at home where we’ve been excellent all season.

6 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Edit: Did anyone else, on the way out of Tannadice, encounter the United fan using two walking sticks (he looked in his late 60s), who was walking past Saints fans and shouting ‘ruined your party! Ha! Where’s your party then?’

Decrepit auld cnut. We were simply walking down the street saying nothing, heading back to town. Other fans told him to shut up, get a grip, act his age etc. For my sins, I shouted ‘enjoy your visits to Greenock next season you gobshite’.... I’m not proud, but frankly he brought it upon himself. :P

Not proud, but you tell the forum? :blink:

Classy. <_<

I'm not usually an attendance conspiracy theorist, but 5905, with 3600 home fans? [emoji38]
I guess this is another club who count ticket holders who aren't actually there.

I'm still stunned there were only 2,400 Buddies there. The away end was full -capacity 2,200, so only 200 in the main stand ? Surely more than that.

3 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Suspect Livingston will try the same tactics this weekend. Need a strong ref -unlike last night.

Dallas lost control from early on. The moment where the Utd full back had a swipe at Smith (I think) and McGinn got booked for confronting him was the start of it.

His decision to let Flood away with about 4 fouls without so much as a word compounded this. In particular his attempt at cleaning McGinn out after he'd come back on from his injury and then a swipe at Morgan right on half time that wasn't intended to take any of the ball. Both petulant, both yellows. Neither so much as a talking to.

Coupled with that f**king ridiculous handball up the other end just before half time where the player actually scooped the ball back into himself and held it  whilst on the ground as he knew Cammy was going past him and had a clear run at getting a cross away. It's a yellow all day, then same player finally gets booked with about 30 mins to go. 

Awful, weak refereeing last night. 

9 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Suspect Livingston will try the same tactics this weekend. Need a strong ref -unlike last night.

9 minutes ago, turrabuddie said:

Suspect

It's the blueprint to play against us

Ach well, it wasn't to be. As disappointing as it was, I felt pretty relaxed and upbeat on the drive home (aided by the fact that I came off at Stirling and took the back road....).

United came out with a game plan - to boot us up and down the park - and it worked, largely on account of Dallas' woeful officiating.

As someone has mentioned, we lacked composure. This is understandable to some degree, given the occasion and what was at stake. I mentioned to my wife before I left the house that I suspected United would do the wounded animal routine and that we might struggle.

Our title winning season won't be defined by 1-0 loss at Tannadice. The team and coaching staff have worked their nuts off to get us here, and stuttering at the end could have been predicted.

I won't be critical of any player or the management team on the basis of last night. They'll get us over the line. There was no shortage of effort and commitment.

Incredible numbers travelled up last night. Well done to each and every one.

Onto Saturday, and a party at our own midden!

United played as they have done the last few seasons against us, physical, aggressive and happy to stop a football match breaking out. Only difference last night was without McDonald they could only create two, maybe three genuine chances. Unfortunately thats about how many we managed in the whole match.

you could see it at Brechin, and again last night, that tension in our play which makes players forget how to play, move, support and create for each other, its almost as if they are panicking about missing an opportunity, before they have created one. In Rugby they have a good phrase for it... White Line Fever..! Seeing the try/goal line and going for it without any strategy, tactic, shape or thought.

the panic that sets in and makes you launch attacks, passes, moves etc that are doomed to fail because of inferior numbers, lack of support or just plain wrong. In short it can be summed up by a line by the much revered former coach Tommy (Farah) Craig. If any buddies remember the 2013 League Cup Final dvd, in the pre match build up the team coach pulls up at Hampden, and as the players disembark Tommy shouts out "remember... if we play, we win"..! Thats what we didnt really do, but got by at Brechin when the glittering prize wasnt yet in our hands, and what happened again last night.

White Line Fever! Until we start playing again teams like Livi this weekend will eat us up again.

on the actual line up and presumed game plan it must be obvious to Ross by now that Mullen is not the man to lead the line? He has had two decent performances, but if you are going to go with that formation it was and is Cammy & Reilly who make it work so well, constantly working the opposition defence, switching sides, moving in and wide, bringing in Morgan, Magennis, McGinn and the wingbacks..... think on? When was the last time you saw McGinn getting brought in and having a few shots/ incisive last third passes..?

the desperation at the end was nerve wracking, as was the attitude to just 'Shell It' for the last fifteen minutes. Yes if you've got a throw in in range for Hippo, then use it, but to field Sutton, with Reilly and not play for the knockdown makes no sense, as does putting on Hippo whose good work is at his feet drawing tackles, fouls and mistakes fron defenders, not static shells into the box.

indeeed on the few occasions Hippo got it down and went to play, his teammates and our support screamed to shell it! We got what we deserved last night, yes we hit the woodwork twice in the first half, but really only Sutton had an attempt that hit the goalie in the second.

against Livi play either Sutton or Hippo with Reilly, bring Mullen on as required, and PLAY... we need some strength, but teams like Livi, Utd do not like a team playing through them, as the fouls they are forced to concede are in and around their box, not 30-40 yards out.

I know we should just think of one game at a time etc, and i have no doubt we will be champions. My curve ball is that we know how Livi will play, as will Falkirk, both much like Utd last night, but more effectively. If we line up, and play like last night can we really expect a different result agsinst them?

however........... Morton play a bit of football..! Just saying, not hoping, but preparing for the eventuality that at home against our rivals could end up being The Day..? Just sayin like...

Had a feeling we might lose this one last night, our record up there has always been poor. However it gives us a chance to clinch it at home although even that is not nailed on as Livi are a tough team to beat. Should amount to a good atmosphere on Saturday and its in our own hands.

I wasn't able to be at the game last night, so credit to everyone who was there for the support they gave to the team. I'm sure the lads really appreciate it when they must have been feeling  anxious. Remember that most of them are young lads who probably haven't been in this position before. I think it was clear in JR's post-match interview that he understands that and is nursing them through this tricky spell until we get over the line.

As for the game, sounds like it was similar to the game I saw at Brechin on Saturday. Plenty of effort and possession from the team, but no end result this time. We got away with it on Saturday, but United was a harder nut to crack.

From a personal point of view, I'm not too disappointed about last night's result as it means I'll be able to see us get the winning point(s) on Saturday against our closest rivals. Every time we've lost this season, we've bounced back immediately. At home, with a big crowd willing them on,I'm confident the team will do us proud and finish the job.

COYS!!

Edited by pondsman

43 minutes ago, pondsman said:

As for the game, sounds like it was similar to the game I saw at Brechin on Saturday. Plenty of effort and possession from the team, but no end result this time. We got away with it on Saturday, but United was a harder nut to crack.

It was much, much better than Brechin on Saturday, in almost every way. Which sounds crazy, as we won at Brechin and lost last night. There was a different dynamic at play in each game obviously, but at Brechin, St Mirren hardly kicked a ball after going 1-0 up. The game rapidly descended into a complete non-event. A huge St Mirren crowd at Brechin were completely silent for long periods. Only punctuated by massive roars as the Morton score, for a while, looked important for us. The Brechin game, first ten minutes aside, was frankly a bloody awful game of football.

Last night, IMHO, was what football, and more importantly, following St Mirren is all about. The game roared along for the full 90 mins and both teams never let up. I agree with many other comments, we lacked composure at times, just wasn’t our night, but I enjoyed that a hundred times more than Brechin. We gave it everything, bust a gut trying to get the equaliser. The support was simply outstanding. The atmosphere before kick off continued the entire night. There was incident, controversy, battles all over the field, everyone stood up the entire game.... I just thought back to the days we loyally racked up to home games - and it was just shit. We knew before going in we’d get beat....lowest scorers in Britain, worst home record in Britain maybe? It was a chore, the place was like a morgue. Those days weren’t that long ago. Last night, for all it’s shortcomings in certain areas of our play, was exciting, meaningful, and we were well up for the fight.

Feckin’ M80 though.

Edited by pozbaird