Ross Stewart sent off for U20s

Forums can be a hot bed of misunderstandings which then lead onto silly fall outs. On the Dunfermilne v St Mirren thread on pie and bovril I wrote the followng- who was the colourd chap would not mind seeing him in a Saints top. BANG attacked from both Dunfermilne and Saints fans for being racist. That shocked me to the core so much so I contacted a friend who is a criminal lawyer that's  how much it affected me as I'm no racist. Will now agree it could have been worded better but shows it does not take much for abuse to come your way. 
To be fair there isn't abuse on P & B towards you.
Everyone is taking the piss first of all for your mistake which I believe you made innocently and then secondly the fact you have apologised but then repeatedly try to justify why you did it.

Similar reasons that you have offered have been mentioned so many times by folk like Ron Atkinson and Alan Hanson etc in the past and been publicly ridiculed so they are just surprised that you can be unaware.

Anyway this isn't abuse it is just telling you what is actually happening and I think people need to realise there is a massive difference between the two.

39 minutes ago, Hambud said:

To be fair there isn't abuse on P & B towards you.
Everyone is taking the piss first of all for your mistake which I believe you made innocently and then secondly the fact you have apologised but then repeatedly try to justify why you did it.

Similar reasons that you have offered have been mentioned so many times by folk like Ron Atkinson and Alan Hanson etc in the past and been publicly ridiculed so they are just surprised that you can be unaware.

Anyway this isn't abuse it is just telling you what is actually happening and I think people need to realise there is a massive difference between the two.

Need to agree to disagree I certainly did not see it as taking the piss. Also was very disappointed by certain Saints fans backing the Dunfermilne fans against me. Was Saints fans taking the piss ? No It's  past so move on. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

4 hours ago, Kemp said:

Yet not only did you not learn your lesson, you came on here and posted it again!

When Shull and Faraway Saint are the only ones liking your post you now must realise you are in the wrong? The follow up responses of "PC gone mad" and "Can't even ask people their age nowadays" surely seals the deal? 

If you still don't get, look at the irony of a bunch of white & pink faced old men calling a black person, COLOURED?  You're the multi-coloured one!

Christ this takes me back to the 90s....

Again extremely disappointing you see it as racist when it's  not in a court of law. Let's look at it another way. There is one white guy in a team you don't  know his name or number you write - who was the white chap  would like to see him in a Saints top. Your reckoning that is racist if so  explain why.  

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

15 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Need to agree to disagree I certainly did not see it as taking the piss. Also was very disappointed by certain Saints fans backing the Dunfermilne fans against me. Was Saints fans taking the piss ? No It's  past so move on. 

It's all about oneupmanship for a few Saints fans. It makes them feel supreme for a few minutes of their sad day, but only in their head. 

The words used to describe another person's colour have changed over my lifetime as mentioned by others on the forum. This is a move forward by society as a whole. It's not, in my view, political correctness. It's recognition, that as Burns might have put it that we are all "Jock Thomson 's Bairns".

Having said that and having worked extensively across Africa the term Black is used by all sections there as is white. The term coloured was used in South Africa during the Apartheid era to donate someone of mixed race and in the UK also.

This term was and is disliked by many. Hence the reason for the faux pas by Alan Hanson, albeit inadvertently.

Those of my vintage will remember the Black Power salutes by African Americans at the Olympics. The athletes were proud to be black and proud to be American but drew attention to the inequalities in their and perhaps our own societies. Let's be respectful of each others race, religion and political views. 

Our competing takes place on the field of play . Our team consists of the best available players our club and manager can gather together. I take pride in the fact that it is one town, one team free from discrimination in all areas. As fans we should and I believe do show respect. 

23 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Why would you not mind seeing a coloured chap in a Saints top. Is it just reserved for white folk?

I def see why you got it tight mate................... 50 somethings like me, need to be so careful. Christ you cant even ask people age anymore, it infringes their rights 

Eh , l think IOBS was wanting to see the guy in a Saint Mirren shirt due to his footballing ability rather than anything to do with the players ethnic origins. .

15 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Don’t think age is a viable excuse. I’m 52 and haven’t used the world coloured to describe a black person since the 1970s. It makes my toes curl when I hear someone say it. 

THAT SAID, it’s hardly crime of the century and I would never accuse someone who said it of being racist. In my experience 100% of people who use that term think they are saying the right thing. Ignorant possibly, racist never. 

Why are assuming that coloured means black, what would describe as mixed race, and how do you know who is black or mixed?

Its neither racist or Ignorance- its just human rights where it suits has gone mental........ Making people feel awkward, when no intent to offend was given

Remembering not that long ago -in the 70s, we had Till death has do part with 25m viewers- referring to Darkies, Wops and Spics, we had Robertsons Jam with a Golly, The Black and White Minstrel Show and Enoch Powell..................... Certainly Alf Garnet and Powell were racists, but I don't think Jam was 

Awareness and respect is the key and the given intent, then no offence is given. But my god you have to think twice these days, and I suppose awareness is the key here

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Eh , l think IOBS was wanting to see the guy in a Saint Mirren shirt due to his footballing ability rather than anything to do with the players ethnic origins. .

Yes correct. I know that's what IOBS meant. Its actually others warped minds that have the issue

They were/are trying to give you a friendly warning that what you said is deemed as unacceptable. Should all Saints fans support you purely on the basis you support the same team as them?

People had given you the benefit of doubt after your apology.

Take notice of the friendly warning or don't, its up to you. I don't really care what people think of you.

7 minutes ago, Hambud said:

They were/are trying to give you a friendly warning that what you said is deemed as unacceptable. Should all Saints fans support you purely on the basis you support the same team as them?

People had given you the benefit of doubt after your apology.

Take notice of the friendly warning or don't, its up to you. I don't really care what people think of you.

It's more than runs its course so thanks for keeping it going i tried to grt back on topic with the Ross post. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2018 at 7:48 AM, saintnextlifetime said:

No , it is more in reference to the one who can't tolerate being disagreed with and throws the toys out of the pram but the toys are always balanced on the edge of the pram , anyway. .

Times are changing however , according to the Guardian newspaper , there are now 5 convictions a week for online abuse. .

You'd have to show where he has abused anyone