St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

billyg

JR's first few months as St Mirren manager were (at best) unconvincing.

IIRC our league position deteriorated considerably during his early tenure. The January window of 2016/17 allowed him to ditch deadwood and bring in players to suit his style of play. His success has been based on that restructuring. If JR was to take up the challenge at Barnsley right now he wouldn't be able to strengthen his squad this season. Relegation would be likely. Why would he trash his golden reputation at the expense of staying put with St Mirren and adding a Championship to his list of achievements.

He would be mad to jump ship before the end of this season. His reputation would be greatly enhanced with something tangible on his CV. More prestigious English clubs than Barnsley would be likely to come calling in the summer.

could well be the next Jim Cluny or Ricike McFarlan we are looking for, and that turned out pretty well.

It’s all relative and managers are a transient breed like players now. Ross was unconvincing but got control and is now being compared to Ferguson.

A long way to go yet we are already being crowned as Ross’s champions and speculating on his successor.

Hmmmmmm, next up, an Spl manager????

Tony said:

“We will see what happens if Barnsley get in touch but what I will say, and I’m not counting any chickens here, is that Jack could be on his way to a league winning season with St Mirren, and that is a huge thing.

“But if we do get to the summer and our manager hasn’t changed, I’m expecting 100 clubs to come in for him. If they don’t want our manager, they want our young players. That’s says everything you need to know about St Mirren right now.

“Barnsley will need to talk to me. What I will tell them is we do not want Jack to go.”

The Paisley club were enduring a wretched run and found themselves in deep trouble when Ross was poached from Alloa Athletic in October 2016 to replace Alex Rae.

After a difficult start, St Mirren eventually emerged from the relegation places and are not odds-on to return to the Premiership.

Fitzpatrick said: “What Jack has done for us is remarkable. They will make a film about this one day. We had it in our minds that he had huge potential and could be a top manager, but he’s surpassed all expectations.

“In saying that, we did our due diligence and took time to get in the right man. The more I learned about Jack, the more impressed I was. We all love him. That goes for players, supporters and directors.

“Look, he is going to get a big, big job one day. Managing St Mirren is a big job, I know that better than anyone, but this is a guy with who has it all to achieve at the very top of management.”

Says it all really. Get the title and the world opens up for JR and our players. 

The next bit - should we get there - is to stay in the Top League and then reach Top 6. With or without JR. IMO

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

JR's first few months as St Mirren manager were (at best) unconvincing.

That certainly was not my perception of the situation.  Jack started to change things from day 1.

Some seemed to think that he would take over and that the so-called 'new manager bounce' would somehow lift a team that had a totally unbalanced squad, poor attitude from loads of players, and absolutely no tactics except a long punt up to Sutton.

For the first few games Jack gave everyone a chance to show what they could do (he even recalled Ben Gordon to see if he could be an improvement in what we had) and tried to actually play a formation. He quickly realised that some were not good enough or up for the fight eg Hutton, Hardie, Walsh, Shankland and binned them. Certainly Hutton and Walsh never played for Jack after the Morton game on 1st Nov - only a couple of weeks after Jack took over. And Hardie and Shankland only made an odd appearance from the bench as there was little else and until he could punt them completely in January.

After 6 straight defeats (just following on from Rae's poor run), by the time of Jack's first League win on 6th Dec he had introduced Magennis to the team and had Morgan and McAllister playing regularly. And  these 6 defeats were against Hibs, Dundee Utd, Falkirk, Morton, Dunfermline and our bogey team of Dumbarton - no easy games in that lot.

We had not been winning but Jack dumped some of the rubbish, started playing a passing game and improved performances no end even if it took a few weeks to come together. But more importantly he had done two things - 1 was introduce skilful and hungry young players from our own ranks and not loanees and  - 2 identify who had to go. Both actions that had great significance in keeping us up. Remember that he had little to work with in Oct but done a really good job with what he had in my opinion until he could really clear the decks in January.

Of the 11 players he dumped only the two that were sold Naismith and McAllister are playing  in a team in a higher position than we are now in. That was how bad it was.

Edited by Sonny

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

That certainly was not my perception of the situation.  Jack started to change things from day 1.

Some seemed to think that he would take over and that the so-called 'new manager bounce' would somehow lift a team that had a totally unbalanced squad, poor attitude from loads of players, and absolutely no tactics except a long punt up to Sutton.

For the first few games Jack gave everyone a chance to show what they could do (he even recalled Ben Gordon to see if he could be an improvement in what we had) and tried to actually play a formation. He quickly realised that some were not good enough or up for the fight eg Hutton, Hardie, Walsh, Shankland and binned them. Certainly Hutton and Walsh never played for Jack after the Morton game on 1st Nov - only a couple of weeks after Jack took over. And Hardie and Shankland only made an odd appearance from the bench as there was little else and until he could punt them completely in January.

After 6 straight defeats (just following on from Rae's poor run), by the time of Jack's first League win on 6th Dec he had introduced Magennis to the team and had Morgan and McAllister playing regularly. And  these 6 defeats were against Hibs, Dundee Utd, Falkirk, Morton, Dunfermline and our bogey team of Dumbarton - no easy games in that lot.

We had not been winning but Jack dumped some of the rubbish, started playing a passing game and improved performances no end even if it took a few weeks to come together. But more importantly he had done two things - 1 was introduce skilful and hungry young players from our own ranks and not loanees and  - 2 identify who had to go. Both actions that had great significance in keeping us up. Remember that he had little to work with in Oct but done a really good job with what he had in my opinion until he could really clear the decks in January.

Of the 11 players he dumped only the two that were sold Naismith and McAllister are playing  in a team in a higher position than we are now in. That was how bad it was.

Excellent analysis!

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

Thats a real selective recollection Sonny, that run of defeats under Ross was dire, and despite what some believe if he hadnt arrested it the pressure on the board to do something would have seen him replaced. Also the facts surrounding players who moved on, you say two are at a higher level, is Hardie not just been loaned from Rangers to Livi, and scoring? is Shankland not scoring for fun at table toppers Ayr, have Walsh, Hutton and Carswell not blossomed in this league?

yes all of them for one reason or another didnt click with us. But they are doing so very well for other managers, why is that?

2 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Thats a real selective recollection Sonny, that run of defeats under Ross was dire, and despite what some believe if he hadnt arrested it the pressure on the board to do something would have seen him replaced. Also the facts surrounding players who moved on, you say two are at a higher level, is Hardie not just been loaned from Rangers to Livi, and scoring? is Shankland not scoring for fun at table toppers Ayr, have Walsh, Hutton and Carswell not blossomed in this league?

yes all of them for one reason or another didnt click with us. But they are doing so very well for other managers, why is that?

The last time I looked Livi were below us in this League.  Ayr are in a League below us with Shankland having been binned by another Championship team and Walsh and Hutton are in a team below us that will be in a relegation play-off. (Carswell had already left in the summer having been dumped by Rae.) As I said - none of these players went on to greater things. Maybe getting kicked out by us bucked up a few ideas but it hasn't made them playing at a higher level. In fact two that you mentioned are now part-time. I do not think it is me that is being selective LPM.

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Walsh, Hutton and Carswell are doing so very well?  Last time I looked at the table Dumbarton were second bottom and have scored only 15 in 22.  Walsh wasn’t that bad but the other two were chancers.  Also Carswell was released by Rae and never played under Ross.

I’m just glad we showed patience and didn’t submit to the knee jerking from some of our fans.