St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

billyg

15 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Great post, I completely agree. He would be nuts to reject it. Fantastic opportunity for him and if he gets it right a huge steeping stone to bigger clubs.

Massive challenge for him initially in getting to grips with the quality of Championship and the level of player required. Way higher than he has been used to dealing with and what he's played at.

There is enough in the current Barnsley team to stay up and from there with big investment he'll have a great chance to push them on. 

He's done more than enough for St Mirren and wouldn't begrudge him leaving at this moment at all.

Yeah one win in their last 17 league games (and that to the worst run club in England namely Sunderland) is certainly the type of form that will keep them up!!!! :hammer

Barnsleys new owners are in for the long haul and with Billy Beane involved your imagine they'll be rather analytical in their decision. I doubt they'd be sacking anyone if they do go down unless performances were that bad. Working with someone like Beane alone would be of interest to a lot of managers.

Ross ticks the box of youth development, something Barnsley have excelled at over the years. Along with his man management skills, we're not a team that have turned our fortunes around with over the top tactical schemes, instead having a system that suits the players we have. That's why he could be viable for them.

I'd be surprised if Ross didn't take the job if offered, I doubt there's going to be much bigger offers from down south until he's made an impact in the top flight here.

13 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I disagree that he'd be mad to turn it down. I think he'll step up to a much higher level after us.  He should stay with us and do a whole season at least in the Scottish Premier. Then i'm pretty sure he'd get a EPL job. I hope Jack finishes what he started with us, he seems that type of guy.

EPL job? 

Even McInnes failed to get an interview for Swansea,  West Ham, West Brom, Palace or Stoke. All lesser clubs and he even captained one of them in the EPL promotion season.

JR is doing a wonderful job and there’s no question he’s a great young manager but the chances of him one day managing in the EPL are not impossible but extremely slim. 

1 minute ago, davidg said:

EPL job? 

Even McInnes failed to get an interview for Swansea,  West Ham, West Brom, Palace or Stoke. All lesser clubs and he even captained one of them in the EPL promotion season.

JR is doing a wonderful job and there’s no question he’s a great young manager but the chances of him one day managing in the EPL are not impossible but extremely slim. 

Yep, most of the top managers in the Championship can't get a sniff at the EPL. 

4 minutes ago, davidg said:

EPL job? 

If Alex Neil can do it?.......

4 minutes ago, davidg said:

EPL job? 

Aye, some need a reality check.

At best he'd be a manager of a team who will probably be in the lower half of the top league in Scotland. 

2 minutes ago, davidg said:

EPL job? 

True. For me though, he's got a touch of the Alex Neil about him and save for one shite season with Norwich, he's landed on his feet.

Also remember the Norwich fans being extremely underwhelmed when Alex went down there.

It's not a good time to lose Jack if he goes but I'd actually much prefer to lose him to an English club now than another Scottish club in the summer (specifically either of the ugly sisters) and then be seeing him in the opposition dugout.

6 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

Barnsleys new owners are in for the long haul and with Billy Beane involved your imagine they'll be rather analytical in their decision. I doubt they'd be sacking anyone if they do go down unless performances were that bad. Working with someone like Beane alone would be of interest to a lot of managers.

Ross ticks the box of youth development, something Barnsley have excelled at over the years. Along with his man management skills, we're not a team that have turned our fortunes around with over the top tactical schemes, instead having a system that suits the players we have. That's why he could be viable for them.

I'd be surprised if Ross didn't take the job if offered, I doubt there's going to be much bigger offers from down south until he's made an impact in the top flight here.

Our recruitment team have been working wonders recently, we’ve had some really really good players at the club in the last couple of years, most of whom have moved on to bigger budget clubs, on bigger wages, our last two head coaches also moved to bigger budget clubs on bigger wages. Our club is proven to be a stepping stone to bigger and better things for most of the people who pass through it, this’ll have massive appeal to any prospective head coach. 

9 minutes ago, davidg said:

EPL job? 

Yes especially if he stays and gets us to do well in the Scottish Premier. That's how highly  i rate him as a manager.

It's not just a football decision.

Shouldn't forget he's got a family like everyone else. Girls in primary school and his wife is a teacher I believe. 

Looking at the length of contracts of past Barnsley managers what does he do? Live in Yorkshire by himself to see how it goes? Remove his kids to a school down there in the hope he lasts longer than their previous bosses?

Really tough decision but we can at least guarantee his family stability and a good wage until 2020. Easy to forget that until we came along he didn't have that for a long time. Apart from his year at Hearts, he'd spent 6 years in and out of the game part-time. He'd been involved in the PFA and wrote kids' books amongst other things.

1 minute ago, Julian Banjos said:

Shouldn't forget he's got a family like everyone else. Girls in primary school and his wife is a teacher I believe. 

Looking at the length of contracts of past Barnsley managers what does he do? Live in Yorkshire by himself to see how it goes? Remove his kids to a school down there in the hope he lasts longer than their previous bosses?

Really tough decision but we can at least guarantee his family stability and a good wage until 2020. Easy to forget that until we came along he didn't have that for a long time. Apart from his year at Hearts, he'd spent 6 years in and out of the game part-time. He'd been involved in the PFA and wrote kids' books amongst other things.

He'll make his own decision whatever we say or want but i still believe that he'll go on to bigger than Barnsley if he  bides his time and spends a few more years with us.

3 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Haven't met a teacher yet who doesn't want to quit !.

His girls is the tough one

2 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

He may even get a further improved contract offer from us in an attempt to keep him, would be the club's logical first step if JR is giving off vibes he's tempted. Club would need to be seen to be doing something to keep our prized asset.

3 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

We’ve not sacked a head coach since 12/02/2015 that’s three years since we last sacked one, some going that in this day and age. 

If JR goes do we think any of our players are good enough to play for Barnsley.  Would the likes of Harry Davis survive down there.  Could Reilly or Eckersly make the step up. Would Cammy Smith fancy his chances. Losing a manager is one thing but if he takes half the team with him that would be a blow. Jr brought in a few Alloa players he thought would make the grade and DL signed half of Cowdenbeath.  Bairdy for Barnsley.  We'll probably get to keep Stellios though.

Edited by East Lothian Saint
pissed off at Barnsley