St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

billyg

3 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

If JR goes do we think any of our players are good enough to play for Barnsley.  Would the likes of Harry Davis survive down there.  Could Reilly or Eckersly make the step up. Would Cammy Smith fancy his chances. Losing a manager is one thing but if he takes half the team with him that would be a blow. Jr brought in a few Alloa players he thought would make the grade and DL signed half of Cowdenbeath.  Bairdy for Barnsley.  We'll probably get to keep Stellios though.

Transfer windows shut tight so no chance. That's the very thing that might convince Jack to stay put.

6 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

If JR goes do we think any of our players are good enough to play for Barnsley.  Would the likes of Harry Davis survive down there.  Could Reilly or Eckersly make the step up. Would Cammy Smith fancy his chances. Losing a manager is one thing but if he takes half the team with him that would be a blow. Jr brought in a few Alloa players he thought would make the grade and DL signed half of Cowdenbeath.  Bairdy for Barnsley.  We'll probably get to keep Stellios though.

Only player I would take to Championship from current St Mirren team is Kyle Magennis. Morgan too if he wasn't away to Celtic. 

Magennis based on potential with a huge amount to work on

Edited by lenziebud

9 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Still struggle to understand why, at such a crucial stage of the season, we have given Barnsley permission?  This uncertainty must cause some disquiet amongst the players.  We fobbed off Dimdee so is this current decision perhaps through a clause contained in his contract?

Why bother struggling, when nobody on here has any idea what the situation is regarding the details of JR's contract in relation to an approach for his services? 

25 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Only player I would take to Championship from current St Mirren team is Kyle Magennis. Morgan too if he wasn't away to Celtic. 

Magennis based on potential with a huge amount to work on

Your absolutely right but I fully expect Kyle to move on anyway irrespective of whether JR is in post or not. He is potentially our best prospect. No argument. I'm just wondering if any of our players who we think are good enough for the SPL may be targeted by Jack in the close season.  Winning the league will be one thing but staying up without the backbone of this seasons team would be a real challenge but then again it's all speculation.

30 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Fitzy is in negotiations with Hollywood right now. 

JR cleared out the last lot. Maybe our new manager will do the same.

Fitzy just said we'd win the premier league next season but he didn't specify JR would lead us there.

Could it be JR was not the messiah.  Behold the second coming is about to come.  Pass the crack cocaine Fitzy. I'm seeing your vision.

(This post is not intended to promote the use of recreational drug use or cause offence to any of the Abrahamic religions.  it's just a dig at Tony.  (I'm a believer like the Fitz- Fortuneteller and I'm hoping Jack will stay)

Edited by East Lothian Saint
Fulfilling the prophecy

Our recruitment team have been working wonders recently, we’ve had some really really good players at the club in the last couple of years, most of whom have moved on to bigger budget clubs, on bigger wages, our last two head coaches also moved to bigger budget clubs on bigger wages. Our club is proven to be a stepping stone to bigger and better things for most of the people who pass through it, this’ll have massive appeal to any prospective head coach. 
The Totally Football League show was very complimentary towards Barnsley, with ex Buddie Sam Parkin offering some knowledge about Ross from his PFA days up here.

From what seems to be reported Barnsley and Beane aren't willing to shed their youth development policy, you just have to look at the centre backs alone that have come through.

It's the next stepping stone up if Ross does have real ambition in the game, staying for a Scottish Championship trophy wouldn't add that much to his CV, and these offers will be few and fair between.

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Why bother struggling, when nobody on here has any idea what the situation is regarding the details of JR's contract in relation to an approach for his services? 

I am just curious as to why our board would allow possible disruption to our promotion drive by allowing our manager to talk to another club while under contract.

2 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

I am just curious as to why our board would allow possible disruption to our promotion drive by allowing our manager to talk to another club while under contract.

I think someone suggested there is a clause in his contact which prevents the board from stopping him.

6 minutes ago, gc_SMFC said:

The Totally Football League show was very complimentary towards Barnsley, with ex Buddie Sam Parkin offering some knowledge about Ross from his PFA days up here.

From what seems to be reported Barnsley and Beane aren't willing to shed their youth development policy, you just have to look at the centre backs alone that have come through.

It's the next stepping stone up if Ross does have real ambition in the game, staying for a Scottish Championship trophy wouldn't add that much to his CV, and these offers will be few and fair between.

Your last paragraph does reflect that Jack is ambitious although winning a championship trophy is better than his current position where he hasn't won anything other than rightful praise for turning the fortunes of the club around.  Potential and winning things are not mutually exclusive or guaranteed.

Edited by nedflanders123

6 minutes ago, billyg said:

Robbie Neilson ? Gets us up and he's back managing a top league club ?

Afraid not, he's another Pressley. Overrated and failed totally on his own in England, no excuses. Derek Adams is an example of a manager with talent, done brilliant job at Plymouth, not that he'd come to us !.

Maybe we'd get McIntyre and Dodds :P

Edited by lenziebud

Your last paragraph does reflect that Jack is ambitious although winning a championship trophy is better than his current position where he hasn't won anything other than rightful praise for turning the fortunes of the club around.  Potential and winning things are not mutually exclusive or guaranteed.
Unfortunately for us moving to Barnsley, no matter what happens, is much better for his CV than staying here to get us over the winning line. If he moves he'll get credit for the work he's put in the if he doesn't then who knows if he'll be wanted by that level again. These sort of opportunities are limited especially in the footballing world.

1 hour ago, Magic said:

Our recruitment team have been working wonders recently, we’ve had some really really good players at the club in the last couple of years, most of whom have moved on to bigger budget clubs, on bigger wages, our last two head coaches also moved to bigger budget clubs on bigger wages. Our club is proven to be a stepping stone to bigger and better things for most of the people who pass through it, this’ll have massive appeal to any prospective head coach. 

I would disagree that Barnsley is "proven to be a stepping stone to bigger and better things for most of the people who pass through it". Quite the opposite in fact, most players head down the way apart from a few folk like Mawson, Stones and Steele. Best of luck to you guys though :-)

7 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Your last paragraph does reflect that Jack is ambitious although winning a championship trophy is better than his current position where he hasn't won anything other than rightful praise for turning the fortunes of the club around.  Potential and winning things are not mutually guaranteed.

You talk about ambition and having a championship trophy. Let’s be honest, in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t matter a great deal. 

Plenty of managers have had great careers at a high level without winning a single trophy as a manager. 

Let's face it if Barnsley offer Jack way more money he will be off. Would anyone on here realistically turn down big money just for loyalty. There is no such thing as loyalty money talks just look at Mo Johnston for example.  When Ross signed his new deal you can bet there was a clause allowing him to chat to a bigger club. He has history of jumping when doing well at a club look at how we got him from Alloa. It would-be great if he stays but we need to prepare if he leaves. A bad choice could derail our season. 

2 hours ago, davidg said:

If I was JR I’d take the Barnsley job if offered. 

I know there’s unfinished business here and some think he could get a bigger job but when you look at previous managers of ours who have achieved good things in recent years they have ended up at Queens Park and Clyde. 

A championship offer may never come around again. 

From out our point of view it’s the only downside of having a good young manager who’s getting some success on the park. We’re still strong enough to get promoted without JR as he’ll be leaving is in a solid position. 

Financially we’ll be compensated and we won’t be short of decent candidates now people see what sort of club we are these days. We have a togetherness from the fans to players and the board. We’re heading back to the top flight and in a sound financial state. We will have plenty of decent applications for the job. 

I hope JR stays but I wouldn’t grudge him the move and I think he would be crazy to decline the offer. 

Excellent post.

Only wish to add that the Board have done the right thing in letting him speak with Barnsley. 

They have also treated players in a similar way and not stood in the way of them improving their incomes. This attitude helped Lewis Morgan e.g. in his remaining with us till the end of the season.

I echo the sentiment that if Jack stays he will have a chance to add to his CV by taking the Championship trophy. If he goes however, he will go with my best wishes amongst many others.

This is a profession. Managers are not fans in most cases of the teams they manage nor players the team they play for. Careers are short and uncertain. 

Edited by St.Ricky

16 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

I would disagree that Barnsley is "proven to be a stepping stone to bigger and better things for most of the people who pass through it". Quite the opposite in fact, most players head down the way apart from a few folk like Mawson, Stones and Steele. Best of luck to you guys though :-)

In the last three transfer windows, Alfie Mawson, James Bree, Marc Roberts, Angus MacDonald, Josh Scowen, Connor Hourihane, Marley Watkins, and Sam Winnall have all moved on to clubs with bigger budgets and got bigger wage packets to boot, add to that Paul Heckingbottom, and about 7 or 8 loan players who have gone on to secure jobs at bigger budget clubs, due to us helping develop them and giving them a stage to showcase their talents, I’d say we’re well and truly a stepping stone to better things for a lot of players. 

36 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Afraid not, he's another Pressley. Overrated and failed totally on his own in England, no excuses. Derek Adams is an example of a manager with talent, done brilliant job at Plymouth, not that he'd come to us !.

Maybe we'd get McIntyre and Dodds :P

Adams got the bullet from Ross County and Robbie Neilson's Hearts  outfit strolled to the championship title. One bad experience with a struggling English club doesn't render Neilson a failure.