St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

billyg

An interesting and somewhat ironical comment on the Barnsley forum from a genuine and 'honest' supporter

ARC

ArcherfieldActive Member

Style:
Barnsley (full width)
Just over a week ago we lost our manager to Leeds, despite the fact he was a lifelong fan and, up to until Sunday that week, had seemed a decent bloke.

Now we are on the lookout for a manager and Jack Ross at St Mirren is in the frame. I've just spent the last hour reading 19 pages of comments (not much valantines night love) on the St Mirren forum. Just replace the name Ross with Heckingbottom and it could be ours from last week. First of all denial, then why Barnsley, then he'd be mad not to money etc. We'll be doing this to some club just like Leeds did to us.

In my mind that's why football is losing out. The smaller teams and fans can't dream anymore, the best we can hope for is the fleeting success like we enjoyed over 2016. Players and managers will move on, money is the be all and end all. Maybe I'm just old and realism has dawned but it never felt like this when I first went to Oakwell. Looking at the St Mirren site we are the big horrible club with money, Leeds et al are that to us and then there are the premier league teams to eat up the Leeds of this world.

Dare to dream? Not so much these days.

The BoD can probably afford to make Jack our highest paid manager. If we give DUFC 2 wins for their games in hand (by no means a certainity) we have an 8 point gap, likewise if livi win their game in hand, an 11 point gap with 12 games left to play. Livi could cut that to 8 points if they win on Saturday but its still a big ask.

The BoD are probably basing a new salary on us being back in the top flight and income received from transfers.

Are there genuinely still people on this thread who don't think Barnsley are interested in Ross and they haven't spoken to him?

What about Jack looked and listened to Barnsley decided for himself HE didn’t fancy it just now , used the panic and interest to his advantage and is just leveraging a better contract boost, just sayin like [emoji847]

3 minutes ago, jaybee said:

An interesting and somewhat ironical comment on the Barnsley forum from a genuine and 'honest' supporter

ARC

ArcherfieldActive Member

Style:
Barnsley (full width)
Just over a week ago we lost our manager to Leeds, despite the fact he was a lifelong fan and, up to until Sunday that week, had seemed a decent bloke.

Now we are on the lookout for a manager and Jack Ross at St Mirren is in the frame. I've just spent the last hour reading 19 pages of comments (not much valantines night love) on the St Mirren forum. Just replace the name Ross with Heckingbottom and it could be ours from last week. First of all denial, then why Barnsley, then he'd be mad not to money etc. We'll be doing this to some club just like Leeds did to us.

In my mind that's why football is losing out. The smaller teams and fans can't dream anymore, the best we can hope for is the fleeting success like we enjoyed over 2016. Players and managers will move on, money is the be all and end all. Maybe I'm just old and realism has dawned but it never felt like this when I first went to Oakwell. Looking at the St Mirren site we are the big horrible club with money, Leeds et al are that to us and then there are the premier league teams to eat up the Leeds of this world.

Dare to dream? Not so much these days.

He makes a very valid point - success all becomes a bit pointless the lower down the football food chain you sit

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

Based on absolutely nothing, my guess would be about £60K p/a?

Initially Jack was on £50,000 per annum, this was increased to £75,000 per annum after Jack received and rejected an offer from Dundee Football Club.  At that time Jack, being a fabulous human being, also made sure that his assistant (Mr James Fowler) received a pay increase of £10,000 per annum.

I know this as I often go out late at night and rake through the bins of staff and players of Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co.  Using this method I know all sorts of things.  I can for example confirm that Connor O'Keefe received one valentines card and the handwriting thereon matches that of his mother.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The BoD can probably afford to make Jack our highest paid manager. If we give DUFC 2 wins for their games in hand (by no means a certainity) we have an 8 point gap, likewise if livi win their game in hand, an 11 point gap with 12 games left to play. Livi could cut that to 8 points if they win on Saturday but its still a big ask.

The BoD are probably basing a new salary on us being back in the top flight and income received from transfers.

I have no issue with them weighing in with a good few quid more if we have it available.

This is another critical point in the history of the club, and, compared to some previous transactions, this would make sound business sense - at least in the short term.

To the folk saying Ross should turn down the job, get promoted with us, then put himself in the shop window for a bigger club than Barnsley - it didn't work out that way for Macpherson or Hendrie, so why would Ross want to take that risk? A manager with any sense would grab an opportunity like this, as it's only like to come along when he's on a high with his current club. I see little realistic prospect of a better offer coming along after you've been floating about in the bottom half of the Premier League for a year or two.

By the same token, I don't understand why Barnsley are apparently so keen on Ross. Up to this point he hasn't achieved anything that the likes of Macpherson, Hendrie didn't achieve. In fact, a manager wins the Scottish Championship every season - do they all get poached by bigger clubs from down south?

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:54 PM, billyg said:

You see what you've started Billy !! could you no have kept this to yersel total meltdown,  mind you could be a wee quiz question in there in future  :nerdy 

1) Never implied he was lying.

2) Your bold statement is above "Confirmed by other sources"

Why can't you copy the link of the other sources???

3) The fact you have had 3 or 4 opportunities to show the "other sources" & refused in my eyes means you are lying.

If your not lying, Div isn't lying, The Journalist isn't lying???

Just show us the money(ooops wrong movie)

Just show us the evidence.

You definitely did imply he was lying - maybe you didn't realise. That'd make sense.

"Confirmed by other sources" is a bold statement? What an exciting life you must lead.

I'm much happier letting you make a complete arse of yourself than telling you the other sources. lolz.

You're going to have to accept that nobody really cares if you believe anything or not.

Thanks for playing...

[emoji106]

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

I have no issue with them weighing in with a good few quid more if we have it available.

This is another critical point in the history of the club, and, compared to some previous transactions, this would make sound business sense - at least in the short term.

We have 300K from the Morgan deal plus whatever prize money there is for (hopefully) winning the league. Surely the BOD can see clear to set some of that aside to secure the services of the manager that has breathed life back into the club, provided attractive football that has seen increased numbers through the turnstiles and seen us on telly on a fairly regular basis (generating further extra income)

Just now, freddy said:

In fact, a manager wins the Scottish Championship every season - do they all get poached by bigger clubs from down south?

That's a strange point to make.

It is the extent of our turnaround under Ross, his overall reputation, and potential to get even better, that have contributed in his stock being so high. Few have achieved what he has in recent years.

Alex Neil is the last I can remember whilst operating at a similar level. He got a decent move.

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

Genuinely feel sorry (if things conclude as they seem destined to) for all the guys and gals who felt Jack wouldnt leave us now.

I doubt anyone is looking for your sympathy.  But surely they're allowed to hold on to they're hopes and wishes until the deed is done, one way or the other. 

6 minutes ago, DXBBud said:

We have 300K from the Morgan deal plus whatever prize money there is for (hopefully) winning the league. Surely the BOD can see clear to set some of that aside to secure the services of the manager that has breathed life back into the club, provided attractive football that has seen increased numbers through the turnstiles and seen us on telly on a fairly regular basis (generating further extra income)

And the new board can take some credit for that too,

5 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

And the new board can take some credit for that too,

Absolutely agree as they have backed Jack to the hilt, but would that have happened if they had appointed another dud as a manager? 

I don't think so.