St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

billyg

2 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Here on one issue you can see the turmoil that lies ahead when we move to complete fan ownership. Over the last almost two years the common theme you could pick out of most themes among fans was. 

Our future in our own hands

no sugar daddy

live within our means.... etc.. etc...

now a manager who already engineered a whopping pay rise the last time he was linked with a club looks like he will be offered yer another one within months and somehow clear thinking and  fiscal prudence go out the window. How fickle the football fan..! All this for a manager who hasnt yet! Won anything, but got his last club relegated.

should we just keep offering him more..? Or should we pay the going rate and invest in OUR future..?

If Jack, and James, got the whopping pay rises you claim then it has been more than paid back with increased footfall at Greenhill Road.:)

Seems to me the Barnsley job is for someone who likes to develop players and make the club money, not for a Manager 

who is ambitious and want's take a club as far as he can.... Keeping the club in the Championship every year would be 

seen as success for them..... Doesn't sound like a job that would appeal to a winner like Jack.

49 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

What Ross has won is respect of achievement, what he has already done is shown that he managed a  team miles adrift and got them safe, then pushed on to trash the rest. Its not about trophies for Barnsley ........................ England is , in short, far larger in every way to the Scottish Game, Salaries, players, crowds, 

However in this case you're spot on.................. They are very very small fish

Turnover dropped from £9.4 million to £4.8 million. 2016

Net liabilities of £5.1 million.

The club really is worth nothing.

Sold players for £475,000. Who does that relate to?

Afternoon.

You have quoted the figures from 3 years ago, our relegation season and not the latest accounts.

£9.4m turnover (2014) Championship

£4.8m turnover (2015) League 1

Huge difference in the two league, relegation costs us £6 million. If you look at the latest accounts, they are filed under small company accounts so therefore don't reveal much but point 18 says "Following the year end, the club realised net profits of £10m before any contingent amounts receivable, in respect of player registration trading." This is due to in August 2016 where Stones signed for Man City and we received a £6.6m sell on and we also sold Alfie Mawson to Swansea for £5.5m. In the following transfer window Hourihane, Bree and Winnall were all sold for a combined total of £5.75m with big add on's, in the summer Marc Roberts was sold for an initial £3.5m rising with appearances and another big sell on percentage. So in a little over 12 months we sold £21 million worth of talent, 2 had come through our academy, 2 were free transfer and the other two were bought for a combined fee of £400,000. Add into these figures promotion back to the Championship and an highest average attendance for 16 years - the next two years accounts will be record breaking for us. That's not including another one of our academy lads - Mason Holgate who will be getting close to appearance money after his initial £1 million pound move.

Then there's the new owners...

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/five-things-you-need-to-know-about-barnsley-s-new-owners-1-8919861

5 minutes ago, scottd said:

If Jack, and James, got the whopping pay rises you claim then it has been more than paid back with increased footfall at Greenhill Road.:)

So should they get a six month top up, and become quote "the highest paid manager in StMirrens history" or should common sense prevail and we accept the compo and invext in SMFC nt JR's retirement fund..? 

3 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So should they get a six month top up, and become quote "the highest paid manager in StMirrens history" or should common sense prevail and we accept the compo and invext in SMFC nt JR's retirement fund..? 

We should do all we can within reason to hold on to him in my opinion, then again I wasn’t the one slating him from day one with names like Jack Dross etc.:rolleyes: So I can see why you ain’t too bothered.

17 minutes ago, Bearsden buddie said:

The reason a team like Barnsley are apparently so keen on Ross is because he took over a team that looked dead a buried last season and according to every pundit and majority of opposition and our own fans were absolutely certain to be relegated, and transformed them into a team that are now sitting 14 points clear at the top in only a single season with relatively limited resources. Barnsley themselves are having a poor season and sit in the relegation zone in the championship and would have said to themselves, if Ross can do it at st mirren he can do it with us aswell.  It is no surprise at all that they came in for him. 

In my opinion tho i dont think he will take the job. Yes the money he will get down there will be a lot more than we could offer him, but i think he is a smarter man than to just immediately jump for the money. Barnsely have had 8 managers in the last 8 years, and in the past 20 years they have had 21 managers. It is clear that managerial stability is not one of their strong points. However he is in a very comfortable position here and no doubt will be offered a significantly better deal to stay. Just like st mirren last season they are potentially on the brink of relegation in this case to the 3rd tier of English football. However in this scenario their is no transfer window for Jack bring in his own players, he has to work with what they have right now, which so far this season have been fairly underachieving for a team like Barnsley. I wouldnt begrudge him for taking the job, they are inevitable a much bigger team than we are, however i just dont think the timing is right for him to move. With a league win under his belt in his first full season with us , and then even potentially a good season in the top flight (should we get there) and im sure he will get much better offers than from a struggling Barnsley side.

Those manager stats that were posted included Caretaker Managers put in charge short term, last manager to be sacked was Danny Wilson in Feb 2015. We changed our philosophy on managers a few years ago, even keeping one that had lost 7 on the bounce. 

2 minutes ago, BFC 1977 said:

Afternoon.

You have quoted the figures from 3 years ago, our relegation season and not the latest accounts.

£9.4m turnover (2014) Championship

£4.8m turnover (2015) League 1

Huge difference in the two league, relegation costs us £6 million. If you look at the latest accounts, they are filed under small company accounts so therefore don't reveal much but point 18 says "Following the year end, the club realised net profits of £10m before any contingent amounts receivable, in respect of player registration trading." This is due to in August 2016 where Stones signed for Man City and we received a £6.6m sell on and we also sold Alfie Mawson to Swansea for £5.5m. In the following transfer window Hourihane, Bree and Winnall were all sold for a combined total of £5.75m with big add on's, in the summer Marc Roberts was sold for an initial £3.5m rising with appearances and another big sell on percentage. So in a little over 12 months we sold £21 million worth of talent, 2 had come through our academy, 2 were free transfer and the other two were bought for a combined fee of £400,000. Add into these figures promotion back to the Championship and an highest average attendance for 16 years - the next two years accounts will be record breaking for us. That's not including another one of our academy lads - Mason Holgate who will be getting close to appearance money after his initial £1 million pound move.

Then there's the new owners...

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/barnsley-fc/five-things-you-need-to-know-about-barnsley-s-new-owners-1-8919861

OK I surrender. I'm forgetting in Engerland even average players go for millions!!! :D Pity you have not invested the money in a team capable of staying in the division though. ( I'm sure you would agree 1 win in 17 is relegation form ) As you say relegation from this division comes at a huge cost.

1 hour ago, Swiss_Saint said:

So he does not get to form his own team, some other group decide who to buy and he has to try and meld them into the team???

That sucks

The moneyball system that was adopted a couple of years ago, or as our forum like to call it "the fecking excel spreadsheet" it even has a twitter account. The reason why Billy Beane is on board, Brentford also do a similar thing.

Edited by BFC 1977

6 minutes ago, BFC 1977 said:

Those manager stats that were posted included Caretaker Managers put in charge short term, last manager to be sacked was Danny Wilson in Feb 2015. We changed our philosophy on managers a few years ago, even keeping one that had lost 7 on the bounce. 

Yes and when was the last time there was a manager that was employed at the club for more than 1 or 2 years?

1 minute ago, BFC 1977 said:

The moneyball system that was adopted a couple of years ago, or as our forum like to call it "the fecking excel spreadsheet" it even has a twitter account. The reason why Billy Beane is on board. Brentford also do a similar thing.

Do you enjoy supporting a club like that? Not a dig, genuinely curious. Not sure I'd like to support a club where they openly have no trust in a manager - the system just seems a bit.... empty... 

7 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

OK I surrender. I'm forgetting in Engerland even average players go for millions!!! :D Pity you have not invested the money in a team capable of staying in the division though. ( I'm sure you would agree 1 win in 17 is relegation form ) As you say relegation from this division comes at a huge cost.

Transfer fees will come in handy.

15 minutes ago, Mr Optimistic said:

A huge cost to two multi-billionaire owners on the board? They are in it for the long run, they joined in December so are unable to do anything with the income streams this season as things like shirt sponsorship etc are on a season long deals. They will bring in their own companies in the summer and more than likely sponsor the ground, training academy and stands, relegation will be a blip no doubt about it but not devastating. Their biggest project will be building the club up off the field and increasing the fan base.

Ps a couple of wins after a very good transfer window and it could all be different. McBurnie looks immense.

Edited by BFC 1977

3 minutes ago, Bearsden buddie said:

Yes and when was the last time there was a manager that was employed at the club for more than 1 or 2 years?

The last two have moved onto clubs within touching distance of the Premier League, one's averaging over 20,000 with a billionaire pumping millions into them and just completed a £45 million ground refurbishment and the other are averaging over 30,000, spending millions and the biggest team in Yorkshire. I think they should have stayed as well..

So ....should one really use a comma before and?  And does not the use of quotation marks negate the need for the actual word itself? Also one assumes compo is an abbreviation of compensation?  Invext I am going to guess should have been invest?  and SMFC is St Mirren Football Club and not Some Moron Forever Commenting  .... on this forum and finally whenever has common sense prevailed when it relates to anyone's favourite football club?  Oh and  ...nearly forgot; this is of course only in my opinion :)

8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Yeah football clubs in England have become the rich man's toy!! In my opinion that has ripped the heart and sole out of football. However I suppose fans just want to see a winning team. Regardless of what happens regarding Jack, with Mallan down there I hope you get out of relegation trouble. Will watch with interest, hopefully without Jack as the manager. 

A huge cost to two multi-billionaire owners on the board? They are in it for the long run, they joined in December so are unable to do anything with the income streams this season as things like shirt sponsorship etc are on a season long deals. They will bring in their own companies in the summer and more than likely sponsor the ground, training academy and stands, relegation will be a blip no doubt about it but not devastating. Their biggest project will be building the club up off the field and increasing the fan base.

Ps a couple of wins after a very good transfer window and it could all be different. McBurnie looks immense.

Money dosent always buy success, there’s plenty teams in the English leagues who have spent millions & achieved nothing. Good luck anyway.

A genuine question to the Barnsley guys on here,
With the multi-billionaires on the board and the possible transfer kitty to come, why would the last manager who had recently signed a contract leave for the basket case that is Leeds? Genuine question and not a dig?