St Mirren give Barnsley permission to speak to JR

billyg

Fantastic. 
Have to say, I think this has been beautifully played by SMFC and JR.
It looks like Jack's bailed out before Barnsley have had the chance to offer anyone the job. That would suggest to me he was not really that interested in the post in the first place. Wrong club, wrong time I would think.
Result is Jack gets his name out there and gains some interview experience. It's also spun that he chooses to remain with us rather than remaining with us because Barnsley picked someone else. There's the implication that he's rejected Barnsley. That enhances his relationship with St Mirren fans and his reputation in footballing circles. For the club, as a whole, it's a great boost going into an important game.
He's rejected them.

Very common statement for a manager to come out and say they have ruled themselves out of the running rather than say they have rejected the team - it's the professional thing to do. And pretty standard, you see it all the time.

He's rejected them.

Very common statement for a manager to come out and say they have ruled themselves out of the running rather than say they have rejected the team - it's the professional thing to do. And pretty standard, you see it all the time.

Where’s your proof he was rejected? Maybe it was a great bit of work by out BOD & Jack weighing everything up. Plus what a boost for the club & fans as a whole.

I have used the words of the song "Glad All Over" and would now also add "Baby I Don't Care" to describe how I feel about JR staying. The latter relating to why Jack didn't leave. The former to celebrate his staying.

Thanks Jack. Thanks Tony. Thanks Board. The St Mirren family of fans have also been great during this. Some of our neighbouring clubs tend to talk about having the best supporters in the world. Well. ...I have news for them ...they now have competition from the Saint Mirren fans.

Now let's get back to what we have been doing so well this season on the field of play.........Gathering points and staying top of the league.

Edited by St.Ricky

4 hours ago, porks said:

He's rejected them.

2 hours ago, ged62 said:

Where’s your proof he was rejected? Maybe it was a great bit of work by out BOD & Jack weighing everything up. Plus what a boost for the club & fans as a whole.

I might be wrong but my reading of this is that porks is just saying JR was diplomatic in his rejection of Barnsley. :mellow:

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Thanks Jack. Thanks Tony. Thanks Board. The St Mirren family of fans have also been great during this. Some of our neighbouring clubs tend to talk about having the best supporters in the world. Well. ...I have news for them ...they now have competition from the Saint Mirren fans.

Eh?

Our neighbours are a shower of glory hunting, terrorist supporting, bigoted arseholes.  We are no way competing with them, and no in way do they have the best supporters in the world.  Best supporters?  They barely qualify as human beings.

Anyway, great news on Jack staying.  Now lets get back to work and make sure everything is in place for a very important match tomorrow.

On 14/02/2018 at 10:51 PM, Magic said:

In the last three transfer windows, Alfie Mawson, James Bree, Marc Roberts, Angus MacDonald, Josh Scowen, Connor Hourihane, Marley Watkins, and Sam Winnall have all moved on to clubs with bigger budgets and got bigger wage packets to boot, add to that Paul Heckingbottom, and about 7 or 8 loan players who have gone on to secure jobs at bigger budget clubs, due to us helping develop them and giving them a stage to showcase their talents, I’d say we’re well and truly a stepping stone to better things for a lot of players. 

I don't really regard QPR, Norwich, Birmngham, Hull etc as a step up. But I get your point that they may be earning more.

Good luck finding a new manager !!!!! :)

15 hours ago, BFC 1977 said:

It's been a very good recent few years since the spreadsheet started, bottom of League 1 in December to Play off places in May, winning the JPT at Wembley, cruising through the play offs winning the semi final 6-1 on aggregate and then the final at Wembley 3-1 (9-1 one of the biggest margins in play off history) having a good season back in the Championship within touching distance of the play offs before key players were sold, highlights including beating multi-million pound sides like Villa on their own patch 3-1.

The only problem we have is once they have played a season or two the players are then on bigger clubs radars and we have no option to sell, if we could get them on 2nd contracts it would be the icing on the cake. Sorry, to add to this - due to the spreadsheet we do have about 75 central midfielders for some strange reason.. that's the frustrating part, stack them high...

Good reply!

English fitba is in a weird place. Revolving doors everywhere. I find it hard to enjoy the Premier League. You occasionally get a few characters - I liked watching Diego Costa, pure animal. But then they move on to another club... There’s no loyalty and no real evidence of passion - beside chasing titles/money. Even the Leicester story felt a bit false/boring, even though it was a huge achievement for the club. 

Clubs like Man City who buy enough players to field 2 title winning teams, never mind 1, are getting too big and too powerful. Achievement for a club like Barnsley seems to be to survive and hope for a cup run. Not sure I find it appealing. Think Scottish football is still “real” enough to get excited about, but it’s all heading in the wrong direction, imo.