Massimo Donati

MWISAINT71

I hope Donati gets a game on Saturday as it's unlikely we will be under any great pressure at the back, allowing him to use his experience and push us forward at every opportunity.

A walk in the park for him, providing a couple of assists and making him an instant hero. 

PS I hope the "hilarious" punsters keep their cringe worthy pish on the other  thread. :green

Edited by faraway saint

Personally I would not start with Donati, Flynn, Hippolyte or Mullen. We had the same team that was winning week in and week out. Everyone knew each other's game and confidence was high. Frustrating for those that were not getting a game but they had to wait their chance in my opinion as you cannot change a winning team. I think you upset the rhythm and confidence of players when you do that. I know that if I was McShane I would be very disappointed in being dropped. By all means bring in the new guys for game time if we are a couple of goals up or make changes if we lose a few games but while we are winning do not fix what isn't broken.

6 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Personally I would not start with Donati, Flynn, Hippolyte or Mullen. We had the same team that was winning week in and week out. Everyone knew each other's game and confidence was high. Frustrating for those that were not getting a game but they had to wait their chance in my opinion as you cannot change a winning team. I think you upset the rhythm and confidence of players when you do that. I know that if I was McShane I would be very disappointed in being dropped. By all means bring in the new guys for game time if we are a couple of goals up or make changes if we lose a few games but while we are winning do not fix what isn't broken.

I find it hard to disagree with this.

On the other hand, when JR turned things round a year ago and made sweeping changes to personnel, it was a no brainer since the team at that time were sitting uncomfortably at the bottom of the league. In the current circumstances we have a (mostly) winning team and all have contributed to that success to a varying degree.

This will be a new challenge for the management team - 'how to improve a winning team by introducing new players without upsetting the applecart'.

There again when we have lost the odd game, we have tended to do so in style!

Just now, Slartibartfast said:

You are aware that we lost our last game, aren't you?

Yes. A line-up that had been changed from the one that gave us a 10 game unbeaten run. I would not have started with Flynn last Saturday but given McShane his place back after his one week 'rest'.

22 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Yes. A line-up that had been changed from the one that gave us a 10 game unbeaten run. I would not have started with Flynn last Saturday but given McShane his place back after his one week 'rest'.

I get this but there's always room for improvement and only the manager will know where different players are in their mindset, physical situation and how they could add/improve our current team.

Changes are required when forced upon like Stelios coming in for an injured Eckersley.  But by and large if players are playing well and winning then changes should only be made when necessary. Jack knows the players better than anyone on here and I trust his judgement but am surprised at the number of Buddies suggesting changes to a team that has got us into a League winning position.

7 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Changes are required when forced upon like Stelios coming in for an injured Eckersley.  But by and large if players are playing well and winning then changes should only be made when necessary. Jack knows the players better than anyone on here and I trust his judgement but am surprised at the number of Buddies suggesting changes to a team that has got us into a League winning position.

Not always.

Are you really saying our team can't be improved? 

Overall I happen to agree in keeping things as consistent as possible but it would be foolish, IMO, to stick with the same team week in week out when the manager can look to improve or freshen up the team. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Not always.

Are you really saying our team can't be improved? 

Overall I happen to agree in keeping things as consistent as possible but it would be foolish, IMO, to stick with the same team week in week out when the manager can look to improve or freshen up the team. 

It would be foolish to suggest that and I have never even insinuated that. I made it clear than starting places should be changed when forced upon us eg injuries, suspensions, loss of form. And new players should be introduced when we are in winning positions to see what they can do and keep them involved. But if we are winning every week what can be improved? Why take an unnecessary risk? Teams that go on great runs are often teams that make few changes. It is often said on this forum that all that matters is winning so if we are winning why change things?

It is as much about attitude as ability and our normal starting eleven have shown  a winning attitude even when sometimes they are not at their best in a game and we have ground out results accordingly.  Once we stop winning then changes should be considered. But the new players are all relative unknowns at the moment. I cannot look at the first team and say that anyone is significantly inferior to anyone else in the team and is a weak link that needs replaced. If the players are doing their bit every week and winning then I think it is counter-productive to drop them and upset the team psyche. Stelios had a nightmare at Aberdeen after a great run of games. He was dropped and knew the reason. McShane had been playing consistently then is dropped for Flynn who has not shown so far that he has improved the team.

I am looking forward to seeing what the new recruits can do but not at the expense of experimenting and dropping points. Brechin on Saturday is a vital game and not a time to experiment in my opinion. But Jack gets my support whatever team he puts out.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

It would be foolish to suggest that and I have never even insinuated that. I made it clear than starting places should be changed when forced upon us eg injuries, suspensions, loss of form. And new players should be introduced when we are in winning positions to see what they can do and keep them involved. But if we are winning every week what can be improved? Why take an unnecessary risk? Teams that go on great runs are often teams that make few changes. It is often said on this forum that all that matters is winning so if we are winning why change things?

You really don't see the difference between winning every week and a team that can improve? 

Isn't that exactly what Ferguson done at all the clubs he was with, changed "winning" teams? 

It's strange you are surprised people are suggesting the manger could possibly look at changing the team but you are "suggesting" he doesn't? 

All good teams evolve through the season, players get stale, other teams work us out, etc

Everybody is entitled to a view, which, as I've said before, matters not one jot as the manager will do as he see's fit.

PS To reiterate, I'm not suggesting wholesale changes like some :whistle, but this guy could be an asset and the Brechin game, IMO, is an ideal opportunity to find out.

This is the smart way to try players out, not wait until injuries etc FORCE a change.

Edited by faraway saint

Again you are trying to put words into my mouth. Of course teams can improve when you KNOW you have other players that are better than what you are fielding. But do you believe that the new additions are better than what we have? Or are you just hoping? Some folk want Hill to start - a young guy who has never played a League game in his life. He may improve the team and maybe McGinn will end up on the bench. But until Hill can prove he is better then McGinn then I would stick with McGinn. Hill can prove himself when Jack is forced to make changes or when we are coasting and he gets the last 30 mins or so to see what he can do.

I was pleased we signed Donati as I reckon an experienced pro at a high level is good back-up for the run-in if we get injuries or a sudden loss of form. Until that happens though I am happy for Donati to sit on the bench. Likewise with Hippolyte. I did not know enough about Mullen and Flynn before they joined us to be able to rate their ability but I would not say that so far they have not shown to be an improvement on anyone in the team that is winning most weeks.

We have a team of known quantities who have got us to the top of the League and kept us there. Even after a rare defeat this season we went out the following week with the same personnel and tactics and started an unbeaten run all over again to keep us at the top. Now after a rare defeat at Livi people are wanting wholesale changes. Someone just posted they want Donati, Sutton and Hippolyte all to start on Saturday. Others want Hill. Will they improve the team? We do not know but they are all unknowns bar Sutton and he hasn't improved the normal starting eleven any time he has played. Smith, Reilly, McShane, Magennis on the other hand have proven they have what it takes.

As I said play new players when there is little risk or when injuries or form dip.

And the smart way to try players out are when you are winning and letting them prove they are worthy of a starting slot. Not by dropping players already doing a good job.

PS If we get humped by Brechin, Falkirk and Dundee Utd then by all means bring in others to see if they can improve the situation.

Edited by Sonny

• 3 weeks later...

As strange as it may seem, it appears that what Jack actually said when we signed Donati is the truth of the matter. Signed as backup for centre  half, where we had been a wee bit light since Buchanan left , and to help with coaching. 

I did think personally he may have been brought in to toughen up our midfield and add some more class, but thus far Jack has been as good as his word about big Massimo.

7 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

Any chance at all he's being primed to take over if Jack moves on? It'd be a crazy move (IMO) but the guy clearly wants to be a manager.

The timing of his arrival, just after the Barnsley non-event, has me wondering. 

Yes.