Massimo Donati

Is he being signed as a player?

at 37..? Someone to keep the physios and sposrts scientist busy perhaps? Should we look out the Djembi Djembi bunnets for a one game run?

maybe he is the find of the season? Maybe he will anchor a couple of results for us in this run in? But given we have something like nine players on loan, and the likes of Sutton not making the bench is this the best use of funds?

Edited by Lord Pityme

Fair enough, just the obvious concern like DD a few years ago, will he be up to the pace, and stay fit/injury free?
A 12 week contract though i dont think the risk is there. If he gets injured or doesnt make the grade then he doesnt play. If it works out then great. If not then a 3 month wage isnt a disaster. Even injured id like to think tbe experience and input would be an asset to the young guys going through this title chasing for the first time. Maybe even good for tbe captain to learn a bit from him.

27 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Is he being signed as a player?

at 37..? Someone to keep the physios and sposrts scientist busy perhaps? Should we look out the Djembi Djembi bunnets for a one game run?

maybe he is the find of the season? Maybe he will anchor a couple of results for us in this run in? But given we have something like nine players on loan, and the likes of Sutton not making the bench is this the best use of funds?

40 year old Joe McLaughlin springs to mind. 

Scored a vital goal and kept a vital clean sheet at Airdrie in a massive 1-0 win in the run in.

5 minutes ago, SaintGlenburn said:
8 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:
Fair enough, just the obvious concern like DD a few years ago, will he be up to the pace, and stay fit/injury free?

A 12 week contract though i dont think the risk is there. If he gets injured or doesnt make the grade then he doesnt play. If it works out then great. If not then a 3 month wage isnt a disaster. Even injured id like to think tbe experience and input would be an asset to the young guys going through this title chasing for the first time. Maybe even good for tbe captain to learn a bit from him.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

40 year old Joe McLaughlin springs to mind. 

Scored a vital goal and kept a vital clean sheet at Airdrie in a massive 1-0 win in the run in.

Yip get all that, cant help but see the irony in a lot of us calling for a naturally defensive midfielder/enforcer in the Goodwin mould, and then sign someone older than Goody!

lets see your style Massimo.

Excellent cover for the run-in. Has played 10 games in the Premiership this season and is vastly experienced playing at very high levels of football (Champions League, 13 years in Serie A) . I remember his debut for Accies against us where Accies thrashed us almost single-handed that day with Donati playing a blinder. He was contracted to Accies until 2019 so they obviously thought he was fit enough.

19 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Yip get all that, cant help but see the irony in a lot of us calling for a naturally defensive midfielder/enforcer in the Goodwin mould, and then sign someone older than Goody!

lets see your style Massimo.

Would be difficult to get Goody due to his managerial duties at Alloa.

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

As i am sure you read Scott i did say 'in the Goodwin mould' not the actual guy himself!  Hopefully Donati doesnt suffer from similar 'Senior Moments'....

But where is the irony with this signing  when people have been calling for a ‘Goodwin mould’ type player?

1 minute ago, scottd said:

But where is the irony with this signing  when people have been calling for a ‘Goodwin mould’ type player?

Dunno...errgh? Because he is older than the guy mentioned who retired two seasons ago, and apparently Donati retired from playing last month? (Or was that just a ruse to get a Mutual out of Hamilton?)

Dunno...errgh? Because he is older than the guy mentioned who retired two seasons ago, and apparently Donati retired from playing last month? (Or was that just a ruse to get a Mutual out of Hamilton?)

Where did you see he retired? I’ve only seen the following interview with him which states he wanted to keep playing

IMG_1193.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Donati’s age relative to Jim Goodwin has no relevance as far as I can see, Andy Millen was still playing in the top league when over 40.