Great St Mirren Games from the Past (Won or Lost)

I noticed a Celtic fan mentioning the cup match at Love Street in 1980 which Celtic eventually won 3-2. What a night. Ground absolutely full to overflowing and (as I recall) a great performance by Saints and by Johnny Doyle of Celtic (Although some felt, aided by a poor off side decision).

Worth a read:

http://celticunderground.net/his-greatest-game-johnny-doyle-1980-st-mirren-2-3-celtic/

13 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I noticed a Celtic fan mentioning the cup match at Love Street in 1980 which Celtic eventually won 3-2. What a night. Ground absolutely full to overflowing and (as I recall) a great performance by Saints and by Johnny Doyle of Celtic (Although some felt, aided by a poor off side decision).

Worth a read:

http://celticunderground.net/his-greatest-game-johnny-doyle-1980-st-mirren-2-3-celtic/

Doyle wasn't offside. You can see the highlights on Youtube. Saints player on far side plays him on.

More controversial was McGrain breaking zico's leg and didn't even get a booking for it.

Possibly cost us a league and cup double that season....

6 minutes ago, zico said:

Doyle wasn't offside. You can see the highlights on Youtube. Saints player on far side plays him on.

More controversial was McGrain breaking zico's leg and didn't even get a booking for it.

Aye, one of them moments I swear I heard his leg break (Unlikely but a horrible tackle/moment) :(

1 hour ago, zico said:

Fair point regarding the incident you mention but what a game.

The power of video and football that we can  look afterwards - eve this long afterwards at decisions like this.

At the time - biased perhaps as I am - I felt that there was an offside infringement.

That's the magic of being at a live game.

PS Is there video of Abercromby clearing the ball at Hampden in a Semi Final against Rangers (as was) where the ball was judged to have crossed the line? We were at the other end and again, perhaps showing bias, felt that the ref got  it wrong.

Edited by St.Ricky

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Fair point regarding the incident you mention but what a game.

The power of video and football that we can  look afterwards - eve this long afterwards at decisions like this.

At the time - biased perhaps as I am - I felt that there was an offside infringement.

That's the magic of being at a live game.

PS Is there video of Abercromby clearing the ball at Hampden in a Semi Final against Rangers (as was) where the ball was judged to have crossed the line? We were at the other end and again, perhaps showing bias, felt that the ref got  it wrong.

There is a clip on the Marching In video. Impossible to tell.

Think it was Richardson who cleared it. We also had a stonewall penalty turned down in said same game and in the original game at Parkhead, R*ngers (RIP) goal came from a possible offside move. The linesman had earlier been compromised after being hit by a coin from the Rang*rs support.

Cheated.

Hmm, a great game ( or more like a grand day out ) Ayr United away day under Tom Hendrie on title run in. Great anticipating support that day and the game delivered in spade loads

“Go Junior Go “ then the late dinked Mcnight volley , most satisfying. We had some excitement about us that season and I do believe the park was temporarily occupied ????

Even now it remains a mystery to me how I got home.

6 hours ago, zico said:

There is a clip on the Marching In video. Impossible to tell.

Think it was Richardson who cleared it. We also had a stonewall penalty turned down in said same game and in the original game at Parkhead, R*ngers (RIP) goal came from a possible offside move. The linesman had earlier been compromised after being hit by a coin from the Rang*rs support.

Cheated.

5 hours ago, Yflab said:

447ACFCB-4BC1-4DFB-B45E-6F4FE832F819.jpeg.74b319b6f11408c70f967e097eb201cf.jpeg

I was at that game - sat in the main stand almost in line with the goal line & as a mere 11 year old was in disbelief that Brian Mcginlay (Kiddy fiddler "allegedly" ) Gave Rangers FC (Now defunct!) that goal!

A few years later, myself & Ayrshire Saint were in Jack Coplands bar & we chatted with him about it! The whole defence KNEW it hadn't crossed the line! - As did myself!

1 hour ago, thepaisleypanda said:

I was at that game - sat in the main stand almost in line with the goal line & as a mere 11 year old was in disbelief that Brian Mcginlay (Kiddy fiddler "allegedly" ) Gave Rangers FC (Now defunct!) that goal!

A few years later, myself & Ayrshire Saint were in Jack Coplands bar & we chatted with him about it! The whole defence KNEW it hadn't crossed the line! - As did myself!

A travesty 

I remember that semi final only too well. Me and my mates stood on the terracing long after the final whistle in utter disbelief that we had lost the game as we were so on top.The other mobs fans started pelting us with missiles which was commonplace when they looked like getting pumped.Then of course the ludicrous “goal” absolutely heartbreaking at the time. We certainly had the semi final misery a few times. It’s worse than losing a final

13 minutes ago, bigjerseybuddie said:

I remember that semi final only too well. Me and my mates stood on the terracing long after the final whistle in utter disbelief that we had lost the game as we were so on top.The other mobs fans started pelting us with missiles which was commonplace when they looked like getting pumped.Then of course the ludicrous “goal” absolutely heartbreaking at the time. We certainly had the semi final misery a few times. It’s worse than losing a final

That's my biggest memory of that game, dodging all the wine bottles getting thrown by the Rangers fans, I think I was 

about 12 at the time and I remember my dad saying "f**k this lets get out of here" 5 minutes from the end of extra time,

we headed back to the car thinking  it was going to another replay only to turn the radio on and get the bad news, I was 

totally gutted..

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1983&GameID=198403100

I recall that being a fantastic game.
remember McAvennies power pace and strength down the left to score the opener at the Love St end ...I think!
Then Pettigrew giving us all a few squeaky bum minutes when he made it 4-3 in the same goal late on as we headed, watching all the while, to the ramp!

It wasn't a great game in fact it was dire but the St Mirren V Kilmarnock game on the 6th of December 1975 sticks in my memory for the events on the terracing. In those days there were no segregation fences. Alcohol in cans and bottles was part of every football fans itinerary and Macaroon bars appeared to be their staple diet.

Kilmarnock and Partick were the main promotion contenders as St Mirren under Fergie had cleared out half their team, in a similar fashion to Jack Ross, and the new guys McGarvey, Hyslop, Stark, and Richardson were exciting the fans as the new improving 19 year old captain Tony Fitzpatrick was showing the Saints were future contenders. There was a lot of excitement about the game and Killie brought through a big support.  The match was a non event but the North Bank went head to head with the Killie fans and it was carnage. 

Missiles were flying, bodies were falling and the St Johns Ambulance took up residence on the running track at the North Bank to deal with all the head injuries as the spinning beer cans took their toll on both sets of fans. The game was never stopped but the antics on the terracing were played out for most of the match. I was behind the goals at the St Mirren end and spent more time watching the crowd than I did the match.

The Paisley Express did a big spread on the violence but no one else batted an eye lid. This sort of behaviour was ten a penny around Scottish, indeed British, grounds back in the 70's and there were more serious incidents elsewhere.

In those days I travelled with the Tudor Supporters bus and a couple of the guys immortalised the day in a song.  I don't think it was ever sung on the terraces but it was on our supporters bus. It's a well known tune but I don't know what it is.

"Did you hear of the battle of Love Street

Where most of the fighting was done

It was there that a young St Mirren Buddie

was shot by an olde Killie gun

As he lay on the battlefield dying

The blood pouring out from his head

He looked at the Saints flags flying

and he turned to his comrades and said

Will you bury me under the goal post

Will you bury me under the sun

So my spirit will live on Match days

when the Saints Anthem is sung.

Oh when the Saints go marching in, etc"

1975-76.jpg

Edited by East Lothian Saint

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 6:29 PM, farmer john said:

I was there and remember it exactly the way those above do. Absolute football heartbreak.
21 I was, tears in my eyes like a schoolboy.

Mind you, it was worse 2 1/2 years later when Hammrby came to town!

Hammarby was bad! Felt the pain for years, As a ps I was in stockholm on business years later and visited their offices there in a very poor area of the city. Bought back the bad memories.

I remember a game, it was ages ago

Anyway I can't recall who we were playing but we scored first.  It was a really good game and both teams were trying really hard.  Anyway low and behold they equalised and we went on to win.  Thrilling game, unforgettable.  Pretty sure it was at Love St (might have been away).

Anyone else at that game?

19 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

Anyway I can't recall who we were playing but we scored first.  It was a really good game and both teams were trying really hard.  Anyway low and behold they equalised and we went on to win.  Thrilling game, unforgettable.  Pretty sure it was at Love St (might have been away).

I think I was there Tom.

Was that the game that finished 2-1 but was abandoned before kick off?

1 hour ago, TediousTom said:

55 minutes ago, HSS said:

I think I was there Tom.

Was that the game that finished 2-1 but was abandoned before kick off?

That was the replay. The original match was also close with both sides scoring roughly the same amount of goals. I think.

6 minutes ago, ironsaints87 said:

Does anyone recall the game against Dundee Utd early 80’s think it finished 3-3? We were 2-0 down I think at half time and came roaring back. I stood with my dad in Cairters corner and have always remembered this game . Can’t remember goalscorers.

Welcome :)

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1980&GameID=198012200