Vote Now For Street Names

shull

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

If you name a street after Saints top scorer, just because he is the top scorer, do you change the name if someone surpasses him?

The names are all Saints related and, to be honest, are mostly ones that will mean something to those fans who are (mainly) in the right age bracket to be internet users and, therefore, will take part in an online vote.

Why not name a street after McGarry, after all he is a Saints fan who got to do what every one of us would love to have been able to do - play for Saints. That, IMO, is more deserving than naming one after some guy who was possibly only here for the paycheck, whether or not he was a better player.

No you don't.  if hes still the top scorer 30yrs later you name a street after him too,  he will have earned it,  like a few others on the list before the internet was born

7 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

No you don't.  if hes still the top scorer 30yrs later you name a street after him too,  he will have earned it,  like a few others on the list before the internet was born

I remembering scoring in Paisley a good few times.

Mostly in the dark when it is very difficult to even know if you are facing the right way.

How about a street after me?

2 hours ago, E=Mc2 said:

I remembering scoring in Paisley a good few times.

Mostly in the dark when it is very difficult to even know if you are facing the right way.

How about a street after me?

Or who with.  :unsure:   Already a Weir Street in Paisley. :rolleyes:

Edited by pod

4 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

What street? Do you wait until the current ground has been replaced and built on? Just a random street? Build one especially?

The point is, this is a one-off and it is happening when most of the voters, due to it being an internet poll, will have no memory of these older players, they will be voting according to their own experiences of following Saints - hence McGarry etc.

The way I see it, it's a bit of fun and we're lucky that they are doing it at all, they didn't have to. If Tesco had built on the site we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Could maybe wait till we colonize the Moon or Mars then everyone can get there name on the list  :huh:  Nah forget that we will just leave it as it is, let the powers that be name any new developments after people that deserve it,  like they did in 2008 for1959 cup winning captain DAVY LAPSLEY,   And my 8yr old grandchild was asking { dap hand on the internet by the way} how come Lewis Morgan and Myles Hippolyte  are not on the list.  :o   

The results are in.

6266 voted.

The winners are 

McGarry Terrace  

Yardley Avenue

Fitzpatrick Way

Abercromby Avenue

Saints Street.

Add the already named North Bank and Cairters Corner and the new Estate at Love Street will be fondly remembered.

Great choices who most fans will know and treasure.

10 minutes ago, shull said:

The results are in.

6266 voted.

The winners are 

McGarry Terrace  

Yardley Avenue

Fitzpatrick Way

Abercromby Avenue

Saints Street.

Add the already named North Bank and Cairters Corner and the new Estate at Love Street will be fondly remembered.

Great choices who most fans will know and treasure.

Now we enter the next stage..................whining, can't wait. :snore

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, gilberto said:

Can't argue with any of the choices. I'm really surprised at how low McWhirter scored tho. I suppose the young 'uns never saw him play and the fogies have seen better players. The middle aged guys must have forgotten to vote.

I mean f**king boo!

This middle aged wuman never forgot to vote  - I voted for Norrie - Norrie was special!

2 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Yardley has arranged for his ashes to be spread at  old love street. What A  man. 

Looking at the history of St. Mirren as a whole, the choices of Yardley and McGarry are bizarre.

Davie McCrae, Scottish Cup winner and goalscorer, a club record 251 goals and 2 caps for Scotland. Yet he wasn't even on the short list.

Edited by zico

8 minutes ago, zico said:

Looking at the history of St. Mirren as a whole, the choices of Yardley and McGarry are bizarre.

Davie McCrae, Scottish Cup winner and goalscorer, a club record 251 goals and 2 caps for Scotland. Yet he wasn't even on the short list.

Disagree

Yards and McGarry ended 12 years of misery for us. In that time we endured, getting relegated after a run of 10 wins in 2 years, nearly getting relegated to 3 rd tier, winding up and dwindling crowds.

Its not on paper its in the hearts of the supporters. Bit like what Mr Ross, and his team have achieved . Only 10 fold

Couple of legends and good honest players

Just now, DougJamie said:

Disagree

Yards and McGarry ended 12 years of misery for us. In that time we endured, getting relegated after a run of 10 wins in 2 years, nearly getting relegated to 3 rd tier, winding up and dwindling crowds.

Its not on paper its in the hearts of the supporters. Bit like what Mr Ross, and his team have achieved . Only 10 fold

Couple of legends and good honest players

Do you not think that Davie McCrae was in the hearts of the supporters of his day? Was he not a legend?

As I mentioned, was a goalscorer in our 1926 Scottish Cup win over Celtic at Hampden, scored a club record 251 goals, won 2 caps for Scotland. His omission from even the short list throws the whole credibility of this method of selecting the street names into question.

A vote like this was always going to be biased in favour of more recent players. There should have been a short list of 2 or 3 players from different eras and a street named after each of these eras.