Vote Now For Street Names

shull

56 minutes ago, zico said:

Do you not think that Davie McCrae was in the hearts of the supporters of his day? Was he not a legend?

As I mentioned, was a goalscorer in our 1926 Scottish Cup win over Celtic at Hampden, scored a club record 251 goals, won 2 caps for Scotland. His omission from even the short list throws the whole credibility of this method of selecting the street names into question.

A vote like this was always going to be biased in favour of more recent players. There should have been a short list of 2 or 3 players from different eras and a street named after each of these eras.

Probably

But they are all dead now

Looking at the history of St. Mirren as a whole, the choices of Yardley and McGarry are bizarre.
Davie McCrae, Scottish Cup winner and goalscorer, a club record 251 goals and 2 caps for Scotland. Yet he wasn't even on the short list.

Not bizarre at all.

It was a vote. Most votes get it. Did you vote?

Street names awarded to deserving individuals.

17 hours ago, SaintGlenburn said:

Not bizarre at all.

It was a vote. Most votes get it. Did you vote?

Street names awarded to deserving individuals.

Of course its bizarre.

These are street names which will be there for generations to come, long after the folk who voted for them are dead.

Having a vote was obviously going to leave us with streets named after more modern players.

Davie McCrae played a far more significant role in the history of St. Mirren than Yardley & McGarry.

20 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Disagree

Yards and McGarry ended 12 years of misery for us. In that time we endured, getting relegated after a run of 10 wins in 2 years, nearly getting relegated to 3 rd tier, winding up and dwindling crowds.

Its not on paper its in the hearts of the supporters. Bit like what Mr Ross, and his team have achieved . Only 10 fold

Couple of legends and good honest players

No mention of Lavety though, with 16 goals that season, and more goals over the course of his three spells at the club than either of the others.

All about opinions, and not everyone will agree with all of the names, as many great names have been omitted which many would deem far more deserving.

All done now, time to look forward and create new legends.

17 minutes ago, Soctty said:

No mention of Lavety though, with 16 goals that season, and more goals over the course of his three spells at the club than either of the others.

All about opinions, and not everyone will agree with all of the names, as many great names have been omitted which many would deem far more deserving.

Bud

It was the fans who voted, I think personally McGarry was a strange one, and for me A Becks was our god

Hopefully we will have 11-13 legends in a few weeks

Given its Bashers sister that seems to be leading the project it might have seemed nepotistic if his name had appeared.

I am sure there will be many new Estates or Housing Complexes built in Paisley in the future decades. 

Plenty opportunity for more Legends to have Streets named after them. 

Mowat Mews for me. 

21 minutes ago, Hambud said:

Given its Bashers sister that seems to be leading the project it might have seemed nepotistic if his name had appeared.

Would Barry even be considered due to some of his past "indiscretions"?

22 minutes ago, HSS said:

Would Barry even be considered due to some of his past "indiscretions"?

There are few legends who have had problems, on and off the pitch - shouldn't be an issue. It's their positive impact on the team and club that's important imo.

2 hours ago, Soctty said:

There are few legends who have had problems, on and off the pitch - shouldn't be an issue. It's their positive impact on the team and club that's important imo.

100% Barry is a Buddie through and through gave me many a happy day will always be grateful for that. 

On ‎14‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 4:07 PM, zico said:

Looking at the history of St. Mirren as a whole, the choices of Yardley and McGarry are bizarre.

Davie McCrae, Scottish Cup winner and goalscorer, a club record 251 goals and 2 caps for Scotland. Yet he wasn't even on the short list.

Aye he was, I voted for him