Summer Transfer Window

Sweeper07

9 minutes ago, shull said:

I buy a season ticket to watch the Saints.

I dinnae give a feck which Team we are playing or what players we are playing against.

Just beat them

Like you, my chosen team is St Mirren. Like you I have gone to watch them during their highs and lows. But..I like to  watch both teams on the pitch and higher quality opposition is attractive to me. But hey I love to see us win...don't we all. 

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

No, it really isn't.  :lol:

Ask people how many games they've enjoyed this season and ask about the games in the top league. 

Half empty, half full glass.

We all enjoy winning...what's not to like?

The reward for winning is to move into a more challenging league where we play against teams with more resources and better players and I am beginning to believe and look forward to the mix of pleasure and pain involved.  Great opportunity for youngsters in particular to be attracted along to the ground.

You'll be telling me next that the times when we were in Europe were poor because we weren't winning consistently. 

41 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

No airy fairy ideas. Simple. We are stepping up a league. It is a more attractive proposition.  

What is attractive about sectarian bigots coming to our Stadium. 

Would rather have 1 Cowdenbeath fan than thousands of Sevco /Celtic fans in our Ground. 

Just now, shull said:

What is attractive about sectarian bigots coming to our Stadium. 

Would rather have 1 Cowdenbeath fan than thousands of Sevco /Celtic fans in our Ground. 

You have a point there Shull. I dislike all of that aspect which comes with the big two.

But..for better or worse....the "reward" for winning the Championship is promotion. 

In some ways,  I agree, the Championship this season has been great. Games have been competitive and it's great to win.

But......the teams above await. Time for fresh challenges with all of the ups and downs that brings.

What it will bring for sure are the top players in Scotland to our Ground and give some of our young lions a bigger stage to test themselves on.

Nervous? Yes.  Fearful. .No.

Bring it on.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

Half empty, half full glass.

We all enjoy winning...what's not to like?

The reward for winning is to move into a more challenging league where we play against teams with more resources and better players and I am beginning to believe and look forward to the mix of pleasure and pain involved.  Great opportunity for youngsters in particular to be attracted along to the ground.

You'll be telling me next that the times when we were in Europe were poor because we weren't winning consistently. 

What a bizarre statement.  :lol:

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

You expect almost a 20% increase? 

Only two chances, unlikely and you're in dreamland.

What was our attendances last time in the big league?

I don't see it bring anything like the attraction that you and some others seem to think.

Time will tell. 

Of course I am in Dreamland. Have you seen the league table !! :whistle

47 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

It is indeed a more attractive proposition but our crowds won't increase greatly until we start winning regularly in the 'big league' and even then I think the prospect of a sell out will be a rarity not the norm and I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

Sensible and balanced approach when looking at our own fans who turn up and at sell outs.

Average away fans attending will however increase greatly in my opinion so I would expect us to see crowds of 4,500 at the low end and 5,500 at the middle with top end gates of 7,000+ for some matches with the top clubs. Increased revenue from advertising, hospitality, sponsorship and TV will also help build revenue.

But - Building a strong Base in season ticket sales to our own support will back Jack and the club in retaining and securing the players needed to mount a challenge beyond avoiding relegation or relegation play offs as much as when the money is received as much as the total value coming as it does in the close season. 

Edited by St.Ricky

1 hour ago, StanleySaint said:

It is indeed a more attractive proposition but our crowds won't increase greatly until we start winning regularly in the 'big league' and even then I think the prospect of a sell out will be a rarity not the norm and I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

But then again 12 months ago we were facing  the prospect of relegation yet today we stand on the cusp of a Chamionship win and top tier football.

Even a "cup completely full and pishing over" guy would not have guessed we would be where we are today.  This squad, this manager, this chairman could take us far.   This is a new era at our club, we need not be relegation fodder.   We really can be a top six team, we really can achieve what other clubs not any bigger than ours have done and continue to do.

Anyway rap this glum pish....we about to win a league, enjoy it, rap your glum pish and enjoy it indeed,

17 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

We can always hope for another great Sevco administration and pick up a few stragglers from the ashes.:D

Ok............. you heard it here first as I just made it up..... but it could happen

• We get Lewis back on loan all season
  • We get Stevie Mallan back
  • With the money from McGinns £3.5m move to Celtic we bring in two quality players, and still have 500k in Bank
  • We get Cammy Bell as Goalie
  • Celtic also give us Ralston and Hendry
  • We win the League

3 minutes ago, melmac said:

Need to be more than 2 or 3 I suspect.

With respect to Reilly, I wonder if he has signed a pre-contract with someone and that is why he's been off the boil / benched, would make sense if that is why we signed Mullen.

Was mentioned in Hospitality last night that rumour is he has signed pca with Motherwell. 

I suspect (may be wrong) crowds are poorer in this championship winning season than they were in the TH or Gus seasons so it kinda follows that we won't be getting bigger crowds in the prem than we were previously without a very big change in results. For us to be getting 5k a week in games with say under 750 away fans things would need to be going very well - comfy and genuinely challenging for top 6. That might happen but JR will be prioritising safety first and foremost (assuming he is still with us). 3500 ST's would be a real boost.

36 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I suspect (may be wrong) crowds are poorer in this championship winning season than they were in the TH or Gus seasons so it kinda follows that we won't be getting bigger crowds in the prem than we were previously without a very big change in results. For us to be getting 5k a week in games with say under 750 away fans things would need to be going very well - comfy and genuinely challenging for top 6. That might happen but JR will be prioritising safety first and foremost (assuming he is still with us). 3500 ST's would be a real boost.

Sourced from wiki :huh: our average attendances the last two comparable seasons were 

99/00 - 4946

05/06 - 3955

So far this season were on 3989 although that is for the first nine games only so it will go up as the season reaches a conclusion. The final figure will probably be between the 05/06 & 99/00 ones - IMO it's the TH season that is the outlier. 

Just remembered there were no Morton games in 05/06.

Last nights crowd of 3964 with only 116 Dumbarton (if I heard correctly) fans was decent for a midweek game.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Sourced from wiki :huh: our average attendances the last two comparable seasons were 

99/00 - 4946

05/06 - 3955

So far this season were on 3989 although that is for the first nine games only so it will go up as the season reaches a conclusion. The final figure will probably be between the 05/06 & 99/00 ones - IMO it's the TH season that is the outlier. 

Just remembered there were no Morton games in 05/06.

Last nights crowd of 3964 with only 116 Dumbarton (if I heard correctly) fans was decent for a midweek game.

Nearest challengers in 99/00 were Dunfermline & Falkirk who brought bigger travelling supports than our nearest challengers in 05/06 who were St. Johnstone & Hamilton. And, as you mention, no Morton in 05/06.

Also, we were second favs for relegation in 99/00 and had spent a number of years in the wilderness whereas we were favs in 05/06 so no surprise element to draw in the crowds. We also built up a sizeable lead in 05/06 and were never in much danger of losing it. In 99/00 it got quite close, indeed I remember Dunfermline going above us in the run in after they beat us at Love Street.