Summer Transfer Window

Sweeper07

36 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

if the rumour is true he was offers a deal within our budget. He did not sign so agreed terms with Motherwell rumours of course. If true its all St Mirren's fault according to yourself.  What a surprise that is. I'm predicting 80 pages. 

So like me you have absolutely no facts to go on? But it it cant be Jack's responsibility whatever does or doesnt happen...

22 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Then unless he's got another twenty odd goal a season man lined up he is a fool! Mullen should have had three last night, but didnt, he hasnt got Reilly's eye, tenacity and sheer pain in the ass movement to get anywhere near Reilly's scoring rate.

Not sure I agree

Reilly has scored 11 Championship goals this season, being a regular starter all season, until now, for the league leaders. Mullen has scored 6 despite not being with the leaders all season and being on the bench most weeks since joining Saints.

Mullen scored 10 Championship goals back in season 14/15 with a Livi side that finished 3rd bottom and only avoided the play offs on goal difference. He did this in a division that contained Hearts, Hibs and The Rangers. He was a teenager at the time and wasn't the main striker.

Reilly has been a good signing and I'd like to see him stay. But IMO, Mullen could turn out to be even better.

Edited by zico

14 minutes ago, zico said:

Not sure I agree

Reilly has scored 11 Championship goals this season, being a regular starter all season, until now, for the league leaders. Mullen has scored 6 despite not being with the leaders and being on the bench most weeks since joining Saints.

Mullen scored 10 Championship goals back in season 14/15 with a Livi side that finished 3rd bottom and only avoided the play offs on goal difference. He did this in a division that contained Hearts, Hibs and The Rangers. He was a teenager at the time and wasn't the main striker.

Reilly has been a good signing and I'd like to see him stay. But IMO, Mullen could turn out to be even better.

Mullen's scored six for us? Must have missed four of them.... and in season 2015/16 he amassed an astonishing 1 league goal.... aye that will surely help losing the thirty odd goals Reilly and Morgan have chipped in this season.

Edited by Lord Pityme

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

if the rumour is true he was offers a deal within our budget. He did not sign so agreed terms with Motherwell rumours of course. If true its all St Mirren's fault according to yourself.  What a surprise that is. I'm predicting 80 pages. 

Dear me IOBS. Imagine talking about rumours on the rumour mill. Whatever next?:lol:

18 minutes ago, zico said:

Where did I say that he's scored six for us?

It's amusing how his hatred towards the likes of JR and Mullen lead to him continuously making an arse of himself.

Looking back at that 14/15 season, Reilly scored 13 in a QoS side that finished 5th with with 60 points and scored 58 goals.

Mullen scored 10 in a Livi side that finished 8th with 27 points and scored 41 goals.

So, taking into account the fact that Mullen was in a much inferior side, his goalscoring record stands in comparison with Reilly's that season.

And, as I mentioned, that division included Hearts, Hibs and The Rangers. Indeed, no The Rangers player scored more than Mullen while Hearts top scorer scored only 2 more.

Edited by zico

6 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

And theres the mis-information/smear tactic being deployed by some with no evidence whatsoever.... if Reilly had signed a PCA with someone it would have been all over here and official media sources. Ross committed himself by paying to bring Mullen in, he has put him in ahead if Reilly, and bar a couple of half decent performances in the ladt couple of games he hasnt justified that spend yet.

but Ross is talking him up, and sidelining Reilly. So if Reilly does eventually go you can understand why the lad thinks 'Wtf, even getting twenty odd goals in a half a season doesnt get you a jersey'.

if any of the stuff posted by others on here is true we are looking at starting next seadon without Reilly and of course Morgan.... thats THIRTY goals gone right there..!

Twats who canny read long texts can stop reading here...

Speculation is fine on a forum... that's very different from making up stuff.

What we can deduce is that for reasons known to JR:-

1) Reilly is not automatic 1st choice at the minute.

2) It could be that he has been offered a contract for next year and has not signed it yet.

3) He could already be planning to leave.

4) He wants a better deal.

5) With a better squad available, JR wanted to send a message to all the players, drop form and drop out the 1st 11. (Reilly wasn't scoring for weeks)

etc. etc.

Any of which can explain why he is not automatic 1st choice at the moment. That is good management - a bit of pressure back on Reilly and missing the buzz of playing from the off each game; but still bringing him on to give him a taste of what he is missing... The message is we want you but do you want to be with us?

The bottom line is I believe JR wants both Mullen and Reilly for next year - but Reilly gets to decide how much he wants to be with us.

Mullen is younger and has lots of the same attributes, but puts himself about a bit more than Reilly.  He is really coming on to a game with us and can only be judged appropriately playing regularly, as he has been doing recently. (And it is positive over the last few games as he is getting a regular start)

Reilly has not cut it in the Premiership previously, Mullen has not had that opportunity yet - but he will next season - whether Reilly plays much next season with another team is hardly guaranteed, but if he is signed with us, he will get plenty match time. However, his playing career does not have loads of years left - he wants the best money he can get now, while his standing is fairly high...

JR is doing everything right, and whatever happens, we want the best guys who are committed to being St. Mirren players for next season... the sooner the squad is in place, the better it will be for us all.

PS. Mullen is doing really well - let's celebrate that - having both playing led to our biggest win of the season - 5  v  0 and I for one I am more than happy with that.

PPS. Losing 2 guys who scored 30 goals at championship level is not ideal - but don't presume J & J cannot come up with someone of higher ability for the higher division - their track record with us is pretty sweet in every department so far...

Our faith is not blind... but J & J still have a very tough challenge for next Season... I think that they will be well up for it...

1 hour ago, Sweeper07 said:

2) It could be that he has been offered a contract for next year and has not signed it yet.

5) With a better squad available, JR wanted to send a message to all the players, drop form and drop out the 1st 11. (Reilly wasn't scoring for weeks)

etc. etc.

Any of which can explain why he is not automatic 1st choice at the moment. That is good management - a bit of pressure back on Reilly and missing the buzz of playing from the off each game; but still bringing him on to give him a taste of what he is missing... The message is we want you but do you want to be with us?

The bottom line is I believe JR wants both Mullen and Reilly for next year - but Reilly gets to decide how much he wants to be with us.

Mullen is younger and has lots of the same attributes, but puts himself about a bit more than Reilly.  He is really coming on to a game with us and can only be judged appropriately playing regularly, as he has been doing recently. (And it is positive over the last few games as he is getting a regular start)

Reilly has not cut it in the Premiership previously, Mullen has not had that opportunity yet - but he will next season - whether Reilly plays much next season with another team is hardly guaranteed, but if he is signed with us, he will get plenty match time. However, his playing career does not have loads of years left - he wants the best money he can get now, while his standing is fairly high...

JR is doing everything right, and whatever happens, we want the best guys who are committed to being St. Mirren players for next season... the sooner the squad is in place, the better it will be for us all.

PS. Mullen is doing really well - let's celebrate that - having both playing led to our biggest win of the season - 5  v  0 and I for one I am more than happy with that.

PPS. Losing 2 guys who scored 30 goals at championship level is not ideal - but don't presume J & J cannot come up with someone of higher ability for the higher division - their track record with us is pretty sweet in every department so far...

Our faith is not blind... but J & J still have a very tough challenge for next Season... I think that they will be well up for it...

As the geezer said "if they stay"?

JR said after Tuesday’s game how delighted he was for Gav. JR dropped him as ‘he was a wee bit jaded’ but Gav showed in training that he was hungry to get back in the team and took his chance on Tuesday. Doesn’t sound to me that JR is thinking of ditching Gav. And i have heard Gav has signed for no-one yet but wants to stay. So there.

3 hours ago, Sweeper07 said:

etc. etc.

Whew, saved me a read. :lol:

11 hours ago, Sonny said:

JR said after Tuesday’s game how delighted he was for Gav. JR dropped him as ‘he was a wee bit jaded’ but Gav showed in training that he was hungry to get back in the team and took his chance on Tuesday. Doesn’t sound to me that JR is thinking of ditching Gav. And i have heard Gav has signed for no-one yet but wants to stay. So there.

Thats more like it!

On 3/24/2018 at 2:04 AM, TediousTom said:

But then again 12 months ago we were facing  the prospect of relegation yet today we stand on the cusp of a Chamionship win and top tier football.

Even a "cup completely full and pishing over" guy would not have guessed we would be where we are today.  This squad, this manager, this chairman could take us far.   This is a new era at our club, we need not be relegation fodder.   We really can be a top six team, we really can achieve what other clubs not any bigger than ours have done and continue to do.

Anyway rap this glum pish....we about to win a league, enjoy it, rap your glum pish and enjoy it indeed,

Hmmm.  I'm often an empty glass guy, but I was pretty sure watching the run in last season that we would stay up and compete for the title this season.  I thought Dundee United might pip us given their resources, but if I was a betting man I would have put money on us for the title a long time ago.

The Aberdeen game, and indeed every game we have played against Premiership opposition, has shown how different it will be once we are promoted.  We will need to defend much better as a team, and we will need to replace the threat of Morgan somehow.  We will be in a relegation fight next season, no doubt about it.

Good thing about an empty glass though is that's time to order another pint!

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

Hmmm.  I'm often an empty glass guy, but I was pretty sure watching the run in last season that we would stay up and compete for the title this season.  I thought Dundee United might pip us given their resources, but if I was a betting man I would have put money on us for the title a long time ago.

The Aberdeen game, and indeed every game we have played against Premiership opposition, has shown how different it will be once we are promoted.  We will need to defend much better as a team, and we will need to replace the threat of Morgan somehow.  We will be in a relegation fight next season, no doubt about it.

Good thing about an empty glass though is that's time to order another pint!

Big Josh can play a Morgan role. Flynn is looking like a great acquisition strikers no problem. Aberdeen game individual errors they beat Hibs by four goals before us.  Thistle ? You can't compare today's team to then through injuries and new players. Hibs have put John McGinn up for sale there could easily 1 million coming our way. 

On 3/29/2018 at 10:18 AM, Lord Pityme said:

And theres the mis-information/smear tactic being deployed by some with no evidence whatsoever.... if Reilly had signed a PCA with someone it would have been all over here and official media sources. Ross committed himself by paying to bring Mullen in, he has put him in ahead if Reilly, and bar a couple of half decent performances in the ladt couple of games he hasnt justified that spend yet.

but Ross is talking him up, and sidelining Reilly. So if Reilly does eventually go you can understand why the lad thinks 'Wtf, even getting twenty odd goals in a half a season doesnt get you a jersey'.

if any of the stuff posted by others on here is true we are looking at starting next seadon without Reilly and of course Morgan.... thats THIRTY goals gone right there..!

This Reilly fan club is like the Stelios, O'Brien fan club. Nobody can say a word about Gavin Reilly that isn't positive. He hasn't done the business for quite a while and Mullen has got match fit and is pushing him all the way now and deservedly got the jersey. Nothing to do with Jack Ross bigging him up etc

Stelios was the national hero until the rude awakening at Aberdeen.

O'Brien was the greatest think since slice bread, couldn't command his box, ball constantly coming back off him etc etc and along comes Samson. Way better keeper. Imagine suggesting that end of last season we were signing Samson instead of O'Brien !. Where is O'Brien now, ah can't get at game at Macclesfield !

20 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

This Reilly fan club is like the Stelios, O'Brien fan club. Nobody can say a word about Gavin Reilly that isn't positive. He hasn't done the business for quite a while and Mullen has got match fit and is pushing him all the way now and deservedly got the jersey. Nothing to do with Jack Ross bigging him up etc

Stelios was the national hero until the rude awakening at Aberdeen.

O'Brien was the greatest think since slice bread, couldn't command his box, ball constantly coming back off him etc etc and along comes Samson. Way better keeper. Imagine suggesting that end of last season we were signing Samson instead of O'Brien !. Where is O'Brien now, ah can't get at game at Macclesfield !

Reilly works very hard what he is not is a prolific goal scorer in the league. 

11 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Reilly works very hard what he is not is a prolific goal scorer in the league. 

Yep I agree with you, wouldn't question his workrate at all. 100% every game.

Decent player and very good at Championship level but for me I have huge doubts about his ability to step up to Premiership and score the goals we will need.  Would definitely resign him though if its an option.

I think we'll need 2 or 3 quality additions but overall I don't think we are too short and could hold our own in Premiership.

35 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

Decent player and very good at Championship level but for me I have huge doubts about his ability to step up to Premiership and score the goals we will need.  Would definitely resign him though if its an option.

I think we'll need 2 or 3 quality additions but overall I don't think we are too short and could hold our own in Premiership.

100% agree with that he is a forward I would let go for more experience up front at premiership level. 

55 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I think we are well short and a lot more than 2 or 3 will be needed if we are to remain in the top league. 

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I think we are well short and a lot more than 2 or 3 will be needed if we are to remain in the top league. 

Agree. We have good individuals who have proven themselves at this level but i think there may be half a dozen additions needed to become a Premiership squad.   

So much depends on who leaves but given how J & J have already gone about thei business since arriving  i would imagine they are already having discussions with a few targets.

eta, wouldnt be surprised if some of this seasons first picks may have to be happy with squad status next year.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Yep but that is 2 or 3 quality signings, thats the best we can hope for. Probably need another 2 or 3 Premiership level players  also added to the squad. 

Would be hoping a good few of the existing squad can step up performance wise when up against better players.  

Edited by lenziebud